Change Trans Fluid or Leave Alone 58K '06 4T65E

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-Keith is correct. With this transmission you should be able to get about 7 out a the 10-10.5 quarts by just doing a pan drop.

JOD - No plus in this pan. The filter can be found at Advance Auto Parts or the dealer. The gasket is reusable and much nicer than the rubber in cheap replacement kits. The AC Delco kit won't even include a gasket.

Originally Posted By: Letter_K
T-Keith is correct. With this transmission you should be able to get about 7 out a the 10-10.5 quarts by just doing a pan drop.
Given that, no need to flush. Drop the pan, change filter, and refill. Drive it a few hundred miles, drain the pan again (drain plug? or syphon out the stick hole) and refill. Now you have about 9 quarts of new fluid in there and I would not worry about the other old quart and a half.

I meant Plug, not plus. There is no plug on this pan. You have to loosen the 20-25 bolts to drop the pan.

Amsoil list 10.1 quarts as the fill for my 2004 4T65E. You should get at least 6.5 quarts out from the pan drop, up to 7 quarts.

Based 7 quarts out of 10.1 quarts.

7 quarts replaced
Fill 1 Original fluid 31%
Fill 2 Original Fluid 10%, 21% fluid from fill 1, 69% new fluid

Last edited:
Even so, if you get 7 qts new in one pan drop, that is probably good enough for now, especially if you use Redline. I woudl use Redline over Mobil 1 or other syn because Redline has the PAO base oil that withstands jet turbine heat and Redline has the GL4 level of antiwear that I doubt any of the others have. Give it teh best. Then a year or so later do it again and you willbe 90% Redline.

I"m running the redline D6 and shiftwise it feels the same as the factory fill. I'm gonna siphon out what I can from the tube & refill with D6 just for my sake of mind in probably 5000 miles.

I opted to not go with Lubegard Red this time, I wanted the Redline to do it's magic by itself...
But I"m gonna pull the pan in a year and check for filings..hopefully there won't be any!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back