Oil Recommendation for 1965 AMC American Rambler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a 1965 AMC rambler American 220 with the 195.6 engine. Any oil recommendation for this vehicle? At the moment I have mobil super 5000 5w30.

Thanks!

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but aren't 15w40 diesel engine oils? If so, is it still safe to put it into an engine like mine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but aren't 15w40 diesel engine oils? If so, is it still safe to put it into an engine like mine

Not a dumb question, Diesel Engine Oil's have more cleaning properties and maybe a beefed up additive pack.

Thanks guys for your responses. One last question if you guys don't mind. Is Chevron Delo a good oil? I see that they have it for 10 dollars a gallon at autozone.

Safe? It's better for that car!
Most of us can't use the heavier weights that HDEO comes in.
But they are protective and have high additives.

IIRC a 10W40 would be just fine. That was a flat head 6 cyl engine, [I think]. I rebuilt one from a 1960 Rambler American [if my memory isn't shot], as a HS shop project. They were reliable that's for sure.

5-30 is too thin for that engine. You live in "Diego". I'd go with a 15-40 diesel year around or a good 20-50 that has a similar or higher level of ZDDP. Diesel oils are now down around 1000 - 1100 ppm which is enough for that engine. You can get 15-40 diesel cheap, too. Considering where you live a straight 30 weight diesel would be good as well.

Thanks guys for your responses. One last question if you guys don't mind. Is Chevron Delo a good oil? I see that they have it for 10 dollars a gallon at autozone.

Chevron Delo is an EXCELLET oil - some on here would say it's the best HDEO available.

If you can get it easily, definetly go with that!

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

Not a dumb question, Diesel Engine Oil's have more cleaning properties and maybe a beefed up additive pack.
Well the Diesel oils are a wrong title for the oil the oils most refer to are called H.D.E.O, Heavy Duty Engine Oils. These oils are formulated from the best base stoks and additive packages to withstand severe commercial use in both highspeed automotive type diesel and gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
5-30 is too thin for that engine. You live in "Diego". I'd go with a 15-40 diesel year around or a good 20-50 that has a similar or higher level of ZDDP. Diesel oils are now down around 1000 - 1100 ppm which is enough for that engine. You can get 15-40 diesel cheap, too. Considering where you live a straight 30 weight diesel would be good as well.

5W-30 is not "too thin" at all and a 30wt is what was spec'd for the engine in the day.
The only issue is the lower phosphorus levels of todays PCMO hence the recommendation of a 10W-30 HDEO.

Another option is to stick with the 5W-30 you're using and buy a bottle of Red Line Break-In Additive to boost the phosphorus level. One bottle is good for about 5 OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back