New Subaru Oil Filter 15208AA130

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just noticed this little guy popping up as the new 2.5 liter oil filter for Subaru. Part #15208AA130. I'm not sure, but I think this could be superseding the blue Honeywell 15208AA12A model or simply just another supplier to increase inventory. They may also be for the 2011+ models with the new engine variants. If anyone else knows feel free to chime in.

It's black like the previous OEM Tokyo Roki filters, but I haven't had the chance to verify who builds it yet.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=20081

Originally Posted By: dparm
Has the size changed at all? Toyo Roki was making a lot of the JDM Honda oil filters BTW.

The best I can tell these started showing up on the new 2011 2.5 liters. (The ones specced for 0W-20 synthetic) I don't know if the dimensions/thread are different as I haven't actually seen one in person yet. Also, there are no cross-reference filters that I can find yet. I think this is brand new.

Very interesting. Looks like a Tokyo Roki. I would be surprised if the 2011 takes a different filter spec.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Has the size changed at all? Toyo Roki was making a lot of the JDM Honda oil filters BTW.

The best I can tell these started showing up on the new 2011 2.5 liters. (The ones specced for 0W-20 synthetic) I don't know if the dimensions/thread are different as I haven't actually seen one in person yet. Also, there are no cross-reference filters that I can find yet. I think this is brand new.

Subaru is now requiring 0W-20?

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Subaru is now requiring 0W-20?

For all 2011 turbos and the 2011 Forester 2.5L NA they are calling for synthetic. The 2011 Forester non-turbo must have a new EJ25 engine variant because it's the only non-turbo with this requirement.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

5w-30 synthetic is required for all 2011 turbo engines
0w-20 synthetic is required for the 2011 Forester 2.5L non turbo, this is the only non-turbo that requires synthetic

The 2011 Forester is the only Subaru using this new engine.
The Impreza and Legacy still use the old style engine.
Both engines are 2.5 na , but they are different.
The new 2.5 na has a smaller bore and a longer stroke and chain driven DOHC. I'm guessing the chain driven cams is the main reason for syn. oil spec. Oh, and they are both still rated at 170 hp but the new engine has a little more torque at a lower rpm.

Its a a completely new engine design from the ground up. Now DOHC, dual VVT, dual chain cam drive, NORMAL bore and stroke. Turbo motor are the same (as prev year). Still a boxer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its a a completely new engine design from the ground up. Now DOHC, dual VVT, dual chain cam drive, NORMAL bore and stroke. Turbo motor are the same. Still a boxer.

I'm not sure how normal it is. I heard it was just a slight mod in bore/stroke.

Well, it was obvious it was WAY WAY WAY too oversquare with Subaru being lazy about the redesign when going for increased displacement from the excellent 2.2L to the Ill fated 2.5L open deck NA block. I'll look up the specs.

the New FB engine bore/stroke vs. EJ 2.5

was: 3.92 x 3.11"
is: 3.70 x 3.54"

The static comp ratio is up to 10.5/1 now also (was 10.0/1).

See Here: Looks like a porsche engine
smile.gif

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win11/itsWhatMakes.htm

I still wonder if Subaru will be changing exclusively back to Tokyo Roki or another manufacturer. The current Honeywell 15208AA12A has a FRAM aftermarket version, the PH9715. The only differences are the gasket and bypass valve. FRAM's application lookup used to list the PH9715 as the only filter for my wife's 2008 Forester. Now it says "Use until inventory depleted" and references the more universal PH6607 for future use. I wonder if SoA is using-up their Honeywell inventory too or if FRAM just wasn't selling enough PH9715's to justify their continued production. The only cars the PH9715 is referenced to are late-model Subarus and the Saab 9-2x, so it could have been a cost issue.

Anyway, just an observation.
smile.gif

I still wonder if Subaru will be changing exclusively back to Tokyo Roki or another manufacturer. The current Honeywell 15208AA12A has a FRAM aftermarket version, the PH9715. The only differences are the gasket and bypass valve. FRAM's application lookup used to list the PH9715 as the only filter for my wife's 2008 Forester. Now it says "Use until inventory depleted" and references the more universal PH6607 for future use. I wonder if SoA is using-up their Honeywell inventory too or if FRAM just wasn't selling enough PH9715's to justify their continued production. The only cars the PH9715 is referenced to are late-model Subarus and the Saab 9-2x, so it could have been a cost issue.

Anyway, just an observation.
smile.gif

I noticed that too. I just thought the 6607 was the 'new' version, since it seems to have the same dimensions as the OEM.

No, the 6607 has been out for many years. The 9715 emerged when Honeywell got the contract for Subaru of America. The 9715 is identical to the 15208AA12A in dimensions and has the same exact filter element; however, it uses a cheaper gasket and lower pressure bypass valve. I haven't cut open the FRAM PH6607 but I've cut open the SuperTech 6607.

So, I just noticed this little guy popping up as the new 2.5 liter oil filter for Subaru. Part #15208AA130. I'm not sure, but I think this could be superseding the blue Honeywell 15208AA12A model or simply just another supplier to increase inventory. They may also be for the 2011+ models with the new engine variants. If anyone else knows feel free to chime in.

It's black like the previous OEM Tokyo Roki filters, but I haven't had the chance to verify who builds it yet.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=20081

Looks to me like the new filter p/n was required because the filter now sits at the top of the new FB25 engine, right next to the oil fill. Previously, the filter was at the bottom of the 4 cyl engine, with the filter opening facing upwards. Presumably, the new filter will need better anti-drainback performance than the old filter, because its opening faces downward.

Last edited:
So, has anyone confirmed if it's made by Tokyo Roki?? When I took a look at the FB25's engine bay in a 2011 Forester some months ago, I was relieved to see the black oil filter back.

Don't think it is compatible with EJ engines though. Actually, I'm going to ask Subaru of America right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back