1996 Chevy Caprice LT1 350 4,120 Miles Unknown 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is my first UOA. This oil has since been changed out.
The vehicle was my 1996 Chevy Caprice Classic with the LT1 motor.
I don't know the oil used, but I'll try to find out from the seller tomorrow. Whatever Vandevere Olds/Pontiac/Buick of Akron, Ohio puts in used cars that get traded in, presumably a 5W30.
The new oil is 1 Qt of Rislone and the remainder filled with Supertech dino 5W30. I intend on going to German Castrol when my new oil hits 1,000 miles, unless I get concerned about radiator fluid contamination.
Mileage on Oil: 4,120
Mileage on Unit: 72329
Date: 01/01/2004
Make-Up: It got maybe 3/4 of a quart below full line before oil change time, but no top-off was done.
Data Points: Left side is mine, right side is universal averages
Alumimum: 5 / 8
Chromium: 2 / 2
Iron: 21 / 24
Copper: 6 / 28
Lead: 10 / 11
Tin: 1 / 2
Moly: 4 / 32
Nickel: 1 / 1
Manganese: 1 / 1
Silver: 0 / 0
Titanium: 0 / 0
Potassium: 0 / 0
Boron: 0 / 50
Silicon: 31 / 21 CONCERN HERE
Sodium: 21 / 8 CONCERN HERE
Calcium: 1657 / 1217
Magnesium: 32 / 744
Phosphorous: 714 / 754
Zinc: 850 / 908
Barium: 0 / 0
SUS Viscosity @ 210 Fahrenheit: 57.9 / 54-61
Flashpoint: 375 / >365
Fuel: < .5 / < 2.0
Antifreeze: ? / 0
Water: 0.0% / Insolubles: .5% /
Comments from Blackstone:
This was a 5W30 and since we don't know the type, we can't be positive of the source of the sodium. It is common to anti-freeze, and while this level is not harmful for the engine, it is something to monitor closely. It could be from other sources. We should be able to tell you more in the next sample. You mentioned an air intake system problem. The silicon probably shows abrasive dirt that was slipping by the filter. It hasn't hurt much but we are glad you corrected it. Wear was normal, compare to universal averages. Check back due to sodium.

TomJones76's Comments:
Usage is mostly 13 mile 11 of these highway, 20 minute commutes to my job, interspersed with weekly 50-minute jaunts to family members. I put the hammer down occasionally, but only when the car is thoroughly warmed up and usually only for a couple of seconds.
At about the 900 mile point for this oil the vehicle was in an accident that cracked the air intake. The body shop replaced the air intake subsequently, but the vehicle was operated briefly with the intake cracked.
Here's the question that's bugging me:
Can you think of any oil that a domestic new car dealer would put in a vehicle on his used car lot that has sodium levels near 21?
I went digging through the VOA section, and I think I saw one Euro racing oil with a sodium of 650, and a couple of others including Redline 5W30 that have sodium levels close to 21, but all of these share the common denominator of being pretty darned expensive.
That pretty much means a dealer won't put them in a used car that will be sold off shortly.
So, once again, is there any bulk oil or cheap oil out there with a Sodium level near 21?

Considering the number of miles on this oil and the fact that the wear metals are quite good, and you have 0 potassium (also antifreeze) I wouldn't get all excited yet. Also the viscosity is low and antifreeze will raise viscosity. I would mention though to the dealer that the vehicle may have a intake manifold or head gasket leak.

offtopic.gif

Tom,
That dealer has one of the best parts people in the nation. Dallas Slabaugh(sp?). He has a nationwide following in Caprice (B-body) and Corvette. If you need parts, ask for him and tell him you heard about him from the B-body people. He offers a very good discount.
Terry

Your LT1 will love the GC 0w30, as mine sure does! Here is my last UOA on my 95 LT1 Formula with 3100 hard driven miles (lots of full throttle including 9 runs down the dragstrip)

(NOTE:I'm giving out the corrected numbers which have the VOA values subtracted from them)
Iron-4.8
Lead-3.1
Aluminum-0.8
Chromium-0.2
Copper-1.8
Nickel-0
Titanium-0
Tin-0
Silver-0.7
Silicon-9.9
Viscosity-12.2cst at 100c

I was running a Fram air filter and a K&N oil filter. I switched to an AC Delco air filter though. I had 93k on the car at the time of the sample, and am taking out my current run of GC 0w30 out to 6200 miles (10,000km)

I think a big reason that GC did so well in my LT1 is the fact that it's a very thick 30wt oil. The LT1 has clearances which are big enough to take advantage of an oil in the 12-14cst range.

[ January 14, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Well, just got off the phone with Vandevere B-P-O, the dealer I got my Chevy from. They say they would have filled it with Mobil 5W30 in a conventional variety. I'll try searching for a UOA on that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back