this month's AMSOIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PontiacFan
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: TimVipond
Does someone make longer extended oil change filters with better filtration than AMSOIL? Seems like AMSOIL leads here again, with XOM following.

Didn't someone here post a particle count test a wile back and the M1 lead the way?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1251911&page=1

The Mobil 1 Oil Filter did better than the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter, but the OCI was only run to 5000 miles.

My thinking is that if both oil filters were run out to maybe 10,000 miles, that the Mobil 1 Oil Filter would still do better.

It is quite clear that the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter is a waste of money if you are doing 5000 mile OCI's, the same thing could be said for the Mobil 1 Oil Filter for those doing 5000 mile OCI's.

Lets not forget, that Amsoil has a company making there oil filters, I believe it is Donaldson.

So, if we want to praise Amsoil Oil Filters then the praise should be directed at DONALDSON.

Thats it thanks, and yes only 5k but as stated it's efficiency @ a longer interval im sure would be as good...

and yes Donaldson

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1251911&page=1

The Mobil 1 Oil Filter did better than the Amsoil EaO Oil Filter, but the OCI was only run to 5000 miles.

My thinking is that if both oil filters were run out to maybe 10,000 miles, that the Mobil 1 Oil Filter would still do better.

Well actually if you look at ALL the huge amount of work btanchors did, this conclusion cannot be reached. Even ignoring the fact that prefilter sump sampling and Blackstone testing are non-standard and non-repeatable, the results do smooth out over time. Find the results that include the RP filter. You simply can't draw such conclusions if you really look deeply and objectively at the testing.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The filters in question were made by Wix

So Wix is making the Oil Filters, not Amsoil, all Amsoil is doing is putting there name on somebody elses Oil Filter, might as well just go out and buy either a Wix or Donaldson Oil Filter.

Quote:
The praise indeed is for Amsoil.

I definetly praise Amsoil into making us believe they are making a superior oil filter, when in hindsight, that is really not the case.

I am also willing to bet that Champ Labs probably makes the Mobil 1 Oil Filter, I think they also make the Royal Purple Oil Filter.

So, why don't we just praise the Amsoil Marketing Department or Big Al up in Amsoil Corporate Headquarters.

So Wix is making the Oil Filters, not Amsoil, all Amsoil is doing is putting there name on somebody elses Oil Filter, might as well just go out and buy either a Wix or Donaldson Oil Filter.

Correct but there built to Ams specifications so that makes them thee end all of filters.

Yeah, really...RP, M1, Amsoil, K&N, BDP...they are all like kings of the oil filter grades, for most applications we are dealing with. Why argue over the miniscule differences which can change from one application to the next? I'd be happy to use any of those filters.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Artem
demarpaint said:
TimVipond said:
Does someone make longer extended oil change filters with better filtration than AMSOIL?

No why would they? It's already known thanks to Amsoil that extended drain filters for those vehicles is a bad idea.

Maybe the others can't or don't want to? I don't know. But AMSOIL sure makes and sells a lot of them for Hondas and Toyotas. For up to 15,000 severe service miles up to 1 year. I use them on my Honda and other vehicles and equipment.

Didn't they recently shortened the service life to 15,000 miles or 1 year? They did because they had problems......No one is perfect!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Just a few specific oil filters, not the actual oil itself.

Yes it was the filters not the oil. If I had to bet, the smart money says they'll be cutting the in service use for their oil in the DI engines too. Much more than the SSO and ASM severe service intervals posted on their site. If I was using Amsoil in a DI engine I'd cut the interval before they issue a warning, no point in being a crash dummy testing products for them. JMO
The EaO filters have always been up to 15,000 miles severe service up to 1 year. For some filters they have reduced normal service to up to 15,000 miles up to 1 year and reduced the price. What "problems" did they have? My understanding is that no filters failed and only a few out of thousands made were approaching, but not exceeding, maximum loading at 25,000 miles. They made the change because they did not feel comfortable exceeding 25,000 miles up to 1 year. I never heard of any engine damage that was proven to be caused by the filter or oil. And if it ever does, AMSOIL pays repairs.

Last edited:
Correct but there built to Ams specifications so that makes them thee end all of filters.

I believe that Wix makes Oil Filters for Amsoil's cheaper line of oil filters, and I believe that Donaldson is manufacturing the EaO Oil Filter Line.

I had a neighbor show me an Amsoil EaO Oil Filter and this oil filter was made in Mexico.

I think this whole thing about these oil filters being made to Amsoil's specifications is just Marketing Hype. JMO

I believe that Wix makes Oil Filters for Amsoil's cheaper line of oil filters, and I believe that Donaldson is manufacturing the EaO Oil Filter Line.

I had a neighbor show me an Amsoil EaO Oil Filter and this oil filter was made in Mexico.

I think this whole thing about these oil filters being made to Amsoil's specifications is just Marketing Hype. JMO

Yeah, I've bought Wix through Amsoil before, but I knew I was buying a Wix. It even came in a Wix package, just like I'd find at a local O'Reilly's or a re-bandaged Napa Gold.

Amsoil's high-end is no different than M1, K&N, RP, Bosch etc using Champ to manufacture filters to their spec's. Why mince words over nothing?

Last edited:

Yes Wix assembles SOME of the filters, but WIX does not have the license to use EaO media. Say and think what you want, but the EaO filters would not have happened without Amsoil, just as the SDF filters would not have happened without Amsoil.

I don't understand why that is so tough to accept. It's just a fact.

Pablo will clear all this confusion up.
whistle.gif

but the EaO filters would not have happened without Amsoil,

Champ Labs uses the same media in the Royal Purple Oil Filter.

Quote:
SDF filters would not have happened without Amsoil.

An SDF Oil Filter is just a rebadged Wix Oil Filter.

Quote:
I don't understand why that is so tough to accept. It's just a fact.

The fact here is that Amsoil just orders oil filters and then they put there name on them. Mobil does the samething with there oil filters too.

It's a fact that Amsoil is not the expert in Oil Filtration, just like Mobil is not the expert in Oil Filtration either.

Who leads and who follows?
From www.amsoil.com:
"AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil." XOM followed.
"First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval." XOM followed. Now only offer a 15,000-mile/1-year drain interval.
"First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence." XOM followed.
"First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines." XOM followed.
"First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency." XOM followed.
"First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use." XOM followed.
"First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil." XOM followed.
"First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use." XOM followed.

This is an interesting spin applied to a fairly common situation. Every industry works this way - small entrepreneurs act as crash-test dummies for the big guys.

For the little guys, it's like walking in front of a steam-roller. You have to keep putting new products into the market because the majors emulate and dominate if you find one that works. By the time that happens you have to be onto the next one.

Name the motor oil companies who make ALL their own ingredients.

ExxonMobil.

They've even advertised this fact.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

ExxonMobil.

They mine all the minerals and refine all the elements? They don't buy any crude oil? I'm impressed!

Last edited:

Who leads and who follows?
From www.amsoil.com:
"AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil." XOM followed.

And who do you think made the synthetic base oil AMSOIL used to produce this API-rated oil?

The synthetic market was primarily for military and aviation prior to the adoption of the automotive application. Who produced the synthetic aviation oils that became Al's inspiration to try to use them in automotive applications and subsequently blend a product that could be API-certified?

And BTW, back then, XOM didn't follow anybody. XOM didn't exist. There was Exxon and there was Mobil. There was Esso and all the other JD Rockefeller brands that once constituted Standard Oil. All of these companies are MUCH older than AMSOIL.

I wonder if I can be the first to manufacture rubber tires for something using rubber from Michelin? Then I can be a pioneer too!

ExxonMobil.

I understand why they say that, somehow people like the idea. To me, I would think a company like Redline, Royal Purple or Schaefer's would be best buying from the best of each ingredient. Actually at some level XOM are not exactly telling the truth. They buy ingredients. Trust me, they do.

ExxonMobil.

They mine all the minerals and refine all the elements? I'm impressed!

i would be too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back