06 Civic SI - M1 0w40 - 13,200 mile UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Si I was driving this past week for friends that were out of town was capable of 35 or so MPG on the highway. New EPA had it rated down to 29 MPG from 31. Hoping I can sell my Stratus for the Si still!
grin2.gif

Yeah, EPA on mine says 29 highway. I get 29 in mixed aggressive driving. Pure highway on long trips is low to mid 30s....I don't think I've ever broken 36mpg, but 35mpg was done twice on long trips cruising at 70-75 without cruise control.

Originally Posted By: buster
Joe, I just put 0w20 M1 SN/GF-5 in the Honda. Very impressed so far. Any chance you will try that?

I have 2 M1 5qt jugs, 0W30 and 5W20, I wonder if I can exchange it for the new M1 0W20 SN/GF-5 ?

If WM lets me exchange it for M1 0W20 I will try it in the E430, currently it has Synpower 5W20.

lol @ "vtec consumes oil"

no it doesnt. That has nothing to do with these engines burning(or not burning) oil.

vtec itself doesn't - the form of vtec used i nthis engine (2 cams, high rpm, and the use of low-friction rings), does lead to oil consumption.

You can have vtec on a 5000rpm single cam engine and it won't consume oil because it's vtec...

Right, Vtec itself isn't the cause of the consumption. Its the high RPM, WOT action that burns a bit.

how much it burns is directly related to your right foot.

I consume some oil still after stopping 99% of oil leaking(some weeps at a bolt on the valve cover), but I imagine I may lose some with the age of the engine on top of aggressive driving, even though I have a SOHC VTEC-e only and drive it hard from time to time.

FYI in Japan the engine for the Type R, and even the engines for the regular civics over there (which IIRC is the same for civics over here), can use 5W40. I think the only reason Honda doesn't recommend those viscosities over here is because we don't have an "Energy Conserving" 40 weight oil. At least I haven't seen any.

http://www.honda.co.jp/manual/civic/2010/pdf/2010-civic-all.pdf

Page 364

Last edited:
^yea i knew the Civics in Japan run a higher viscosity. its the darn US versions that get the 0w10 oil for MPG purposes.

I'd rather try to squeeze a few points from somewhere else, not risking engine protection to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back