Coolant for 2004 Nissan Xterra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Just bought a 2004 Xterra with the V6 for my daughter. Needs the 105k timing belt service. Will have them do flush and fill at same time.
What coolant should be used?
Manual and Advance auto only say Genuine Nissan.

Thanks!

I've got a 05 Xterra SE and I just flushed the radiator. I used Peak Global Lifetime. Got the full strength version at my local NAPA. I refused to pay stealership prices for Nissan Coolant. I've read other threads where people have used Prestone All Makes/All Models. Some would like to use the the Zerex Asian formula but it can only be found in 50/50 mix. I researched quite a while before selecting the Peak coolant I used. I also added a bottle of Water Wetter as well. Good Luck.

I use Prestone and mix it 50:50 with distilled water. I also change my coolant every other year. The last Nissan I followed that regiment water pump lasted 14 years & 310K miles. Keep in mind that anti-freeze also lubricates.

I think I would use Nissan coolant. The dealer charged me $22.00 a gallon and $60.00 for labor for a flush.

I has no issue with ANY of the so-called coolant chemistry's. Use the Zerex, Peak, or Prestone...

All you have to do is maintain your system with a little more frequency and you can use just about any coolant.

The biggest problem with long life, extended life, super long life, eternal life, last forever....coolants and antifreeze is that they are NOT that good.

My favorite issue with older Nissans was that the factory fill was good for 60k, but all future maintenance, even with dealer coolant, was at 30k intervals after the 60k run. Cracked me up. They couldn't explain why either. But, I'll give you a hint. The 60k factory fill run clogged up your system, and the future 30k services did what it could to try to prevent complete failure.

Thermostat accuracy is also questionable after 5years/100k miles. So, have it replaced also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back