It wont start back up if shut off after started...

Status
Not open for further replies.
once.

The 84 Camaro is at it again, ill try to describe what it is doing best i can:

1) go out to car.. turns, starts. fires right up. might die if i dont press gas but its carburated and it starts faster than it used to, this is good, im charging the battery

2) it runs PERFECT or very very good for as long as it runs. an hour, half hour, i still let it run good long times, ...
3) if i turn it off it WILL NOT start back up it will turn, turn, turn. i paid $80 to get it out of Walmart parking lot thinking something had happened.. starts up FINE the next morning now im catching up $80.

a few things i can think of off the top of my head:

1) battery low, wont start back up when hot. (im also going to get am ultimeter to check for "voltage drooops" except that a brand new battery did not solve the problem, and i believe that is not it. it also passed a starter/charger/battery test at AAP)

2) my spark plugs are fouled from all that MMO? could that have anything to do with it

3) the exhaust thing seems solved, the tape is doing its thing.

4) what else?

thank you. like i said i could drive to Nevada with it or Utah aif i had the hood pins in until i run out of gas, it would be ok. turn it off, i need to wait until the next day it seems...

UPDATE: i also "found" my socket wrench and draine dout ~1 quart of Oil via the bolt.nice golden-brown new oil. not overfull, and if it is its less than one quart overfull now, if its even overfull
thumbsup2.gif

Neutral safety switch? My Jeep did the exact same thing and it was the neutral safety switch. I assume you have tried to start it in Neutral, though if not you can try to rule it out.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Neutral safety switch? My Jeep did the exact same thing and it was the neutral safety switch. I assume you have tried to start it in Neutral, though if not you can try to rule it out.

If it was the safety switch the engine should not turn over. He said it was cranking over just fine.

From your prior posts about the same problem, you must have AIR, EGR, or PCV hoses still either missing or not properly attached.

Your Camaro has a complex AIR air injection management system that is only on GM carburetor 2.8L from early 1980's.

The AIR/EGR system opens/closes valves based on engine temperature or engine vacuum and impact air/fuel and engine compression.

See more info from AutoZone free repair guides.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairi...900c15280098f5f

You need to buy a "Chilton" repair manual to see how all the hoses are supposed to be connected, and replace any missing or broken pieces.

The Chilton manual will give you specific steps to troubleshoot problems.

My 91 BMW is kind of like this... Starts up and runs perfect first shot. Runs perfect for as long as I want. Turn it off, especially in warm weather, and if it doesnt sit long enough, it will start and immediately stall. Will keep doing this unless I get on the gas, and if I let off, it will stall again. Only after being loaded for a while does it not happen and go back to running perfect.

If it sits long enough to cool a bit, then it starts and runs perfectly.

I have to think it has something to do with the idle air valve and/or a temperature sensor that helps to enrich or not enrich the fuel load for startup. Almost like there is a flatspot of sorts somewhere in there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My 91 BMW is kind of like this... Starts up and runs perfect first shot. Runs perfect for as long as I want. Turn it off, especially in warm weather, and if it doesnt sit long enough, it will start and immediately stall. Will keep doing this unless I get on the gas, and if I let off, it will stall again. Only after being loaded for a while does it not happen and go back to running perfect.

If it sits long enough to cool a bit, then it starts and runs perfectly.

I have to think it has something to do with the idle air valve and/or a temperature sensor that helps to enrich or not enrich the fuel load for startup. Almost like there is a flatspot of sorts somewhere in there.

I know, its so weird! And this issue is relatively new.

Its not starter, nor battery health. (turns over the same w brand new battery,, I spent 5 hours and wasted $80 to get it home in/from Walmart, and two different managers said NO we will not REFUND OUR UNUSED 3 HOUR old battery.. then the store manager did. Wow.)

its not the fuel, because it FLOODS it (?) though id like to change the fuel filter, and that is beyond my scope

i suspect sensor or pcv

is a chilton's enough to help me get this right?

oh, i also saw a "Disconnected connector" i reaffixed it.. also, the PCV valve HAD popped back out and i didnt see the smoke this time, it jsut seats in there and im about to tape up all the loose connections, maybe that will help...................

?

If it's flooding you can floor the gas (don't pump it!!!) and crank for 30 seconds and it will clear out.

If you take the air cleaner off when it's cold and pump the gas once you should see the choke plate fall into place. If you floor the gas (grab its cable) some cam or lever should make the choke plate get out of the way. If the motor is warm the choke should NOT engage, or at least get out of the way very very quickly (like when it's cranking.)

If it's all filthy in there you can hose everything down with carb cleaner. Don't use too much without running the car... or you'll flood it.

I still wait for pictures of car and this duct tape EGR system.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it's flooding you can floor the gas (don't pump it!!!) and crank for 30 seconds and it will clear out.

If you take the air cleaner off when it's cold and pump the gas once you should see the choke plate fall into place. If you floor the gas (grab its cable) some cam or lever should make the choke plate get out of the way. If the motor is warm the choke should NOT engage, or at least get out of the way very very quickly (like when it's cranking.)

If it's all filthy in there you can hose everything down with carb cleaner. Don't use too much without running the car... or you'll flood it.

you will have them.

you have my wird.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
1296285987749.jpg

Camera issues. temporary.

i bought the hood pins for my car today too.

i may need a new camera if i could get my Webcam outside (nto a bad idea bu id need a loong cord) id do that

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You think its the battery? That means it does not crank over.
Is that the situation when it's hot?

It cranks when hot. Its "crank no start" ONLY after it ran.

its not a full "Crank no start" because i bet money that when i put the battery in the car, it will start - "cold." start pretty wel land strong too

today is car day, work cut some hours
frown.gif

today on the menu:
1) flush coolant w prestone flush and a siphon pump, and tap water before coolant mix I DO NOT HAVE A GARDEN HOSE so i will siphon out the old coolant dirt.

2) MAYBE spark plugs, found the ratchet i have sockets, fouled plugs ?

start/charge/load test seems to pass, cant figure out how to charge my battery right, thinking of a c-tek charger SOON (march)

fuel seems to be getting up there, i dont suspect it

leaning towards spark/?

Thank You
thumbsup2.gif

you need:

1. fuel
2. spark
3. compression

you've got #3.

you need to test for #2.

you may or may not have #1. anyone recall vapor lock? overheated fuel lines? make sure the carn is pumping fuel hot. Make sure it's not flooded, as above post. Make sure the choke is at least sitting 1/2 open after car is hot and rested.

Originally Posted By: meep
you need:

1. fuel
2. spark
3. compression

you've got #3.

you need to test for #2.

you may or may not have #1. anyone recall vapor lock? overheated fuel lines? make sure the carn is pumping fuel hot. Make sure it's not flooded, as above post. Make sure the choke is at least sitting 1/2 open after car is hot and rested.

also 4. air
smile.gif
yes i recall that said checklist. I suspected "Spark" and all i could really do was "pull the center wire from the distributor" btu that didnt tell me anything.

Please tell me how to "Check the choke" and it will be done

i need to buy an "extension socket" of some kind for spark plugs, even if its just taking apaper towen and cleaning them, unless they are horrid

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
1296285987749.jpg

Please pardon this pic-heavy post, it answers some directly asked questions, thank you

DSCN0453.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

DSCN0476.jpg

Engine

DSCN0454.jpg

Duct tape #1
DSCN0455.jpg

Duct tape #2 (this is what you wanted to see?)
DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0458.jpg

th_DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

THE CAR complete, last three

th_DSCN0462.jpg

th_DSCN0465.jpg

th_DSCN0472.jpg

hoope i have delivered well.
thumbsup2.gif

Never seen a gauge cluster like that, with metric 180 degrees off. Awesome!

32.gif
I think your passenger low beam needs re aiming. And I like the mags; different size tires front & rear, or perspective?

DSCN0472.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Never seen a gauge cluster like that, with metric 180 degrees off. Awesome!

32.gif
I think your passenger low beam needs re aiming. And I like the mags; different size tires front & rear, or perspective?

DSCN0472.jpg

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

And want to hear something funny? .. there is/was no problem
shocked.gif

ALL I NEEDED TO DO IS KEEP MY FOOT DOWN TO THE FLOOR WHILE CRANKING AND IT CRANKED UP PERFECT OMG
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
.. i just did it three times w beams on to test. WOW!

so that wasted $80, and speculation..

my first carb'd car
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah I FIXED it i just NEED TO KEEP MY FOOT DOWN TO THE FLOOR WHILE CRANKING HOT OMG.

eljef i got one more pic of that EGR if your like
laugh.gif

EDIT: fatter in the back
thumbsup2.gif
hood pins bought ytday. used to do burn--ous at will, and that stopped when i topped up ATF.
frown.gif

yeah your choke is flooding you out.

Def get a diagram of your carb, there are probably a couple different ways to pull the choke off. One probably vacuum with various gizmos of varying effectiveness in the way... thermoswitches... getting beyond my comfort zone in describing this.

The best thing you can do is take the cover off the air cleaner and look down inside at what it does and when. Sometimes if you get stuck/ flooded you can just flick the choke out of the way with your finger. With practice you can figure out when you're starting to flood and what evasive action to take. IE you'll learn your car's personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back