1996 Impala SS Mobil DC 5W30 5500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first run since my Auto-RX application.
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS Total miles 67640
miles on oil 5493 (70% Houston city traffic)
Change oil light on 121 miles earlier

Mobil DC 5W30 SL
AC Oil filter
ITG Maxogen triple layer foam air filter

First numbers are Schaeffer's UOA Mobil 1 TS 5W30 SL 4100 miles K&N air filter and Mobil 1 oil filter

Blackstone UOA
code:

Copper 4 9

Iron 17 58

Chromium 1 3

Aluminum 4 6

Lead 16 32

Tin N/A 6

Nickel N/A 1

Manganese N/A 1

Silver N/A 0

Titanium N/A 0

Moly 91 66

Phosphorus 1046 735

Zinc 1143 908

Magneseum 83 17

Calcium 3552 2027

Potasium N/A 0

Boron N/A 43

Sodium N/A 5

Barium N/A 0

AntiFreeze .0 .0

Fuel Dilut N
H20 .0 .0

Silicon 22 30

Vis Cst 9.97 (Starts at 10.0) N/A

Vis Sus N/A 61.9

SAE ISO 30W N/A

Sulphur 33% N/A

Oxidation 14% N/A

Nitration 17% N/A

TBN N/A 1.0

Flashpoint N/A 395F

Insolubles N/A .5

Gotta' run.

Other UOAs;
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000263#000000
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000394#000000

[ May 17, 2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Yikes, those iron and lead numbers aren't very good at all!
frown.gif

I think the high silicon is doing it though, do you still have that cold air kit on the car with the K&N filter? I thought you were switching back to a paper filter?

[ May 17, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

This is the system I'm currently running.

-

I thought that the triple layer oiled foam would be a good filter. I guess I need to go back to stock to see if that is where the problem lies.

I got some seriously high silicon with a paper filter before though. I'm not sure where the silicon is coming from...

Yes, the higher iron and lead with low aluminium numbers are also confusing.

The DC was a post AutoRX deal. I'm back to Mobil 1 SS 5W30 now. There was some TBN left and the vis was spot-on, so this indicates to me that it is safe to run a conventional oil to the oil change light, but NO further.

One interesting thing is that the run was 37% longer, and the silicon was about 37% higher. The aluminium number tends to reflect this but most of the other wear number are much higher, being double or even triple. In this particular case, a decided advantage in wear is noticed with the synthetic.

Oh if I could be blissfully unaware...

I never liked this oil.
thumbsdown.gif

Lots of little things like its low, low price looks suspicious to me. Dad's Mercury didn't seem to like it and began using oil not long after I switched his '94 Gran Marquis onto it.

I don't know, but it would be well down on my list of oils to pick from.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

That's exactly why I picked it. I wanted to see how one of the low rated, but still SL rated oils would do.

Vader, what oil did you put in the car after this UOA? -Joe

BTW, I ran this same oil in my Explorer and had poor results as well.
frown.gif
Needless to say, I am not running it anymore. -Joe

I'm surprised that the air filter isn't working better for you. Is it oiled properly? Have you taken a spray can of ether to look for intake leaks?

You might want to get one of those K&N filter wraps for that cone filter. It should cut the silicon level down.

I may be in denial, but I honestly don't think it's the filter. I used the ITG oil and applied it as per the instructions. It's a triple layer foam so it should filter even better than an Amsoil filter, which is considered one of the best. I had the same setup with the paper cone filter that fits the Mustang and still saw high silicon.

I am going to get some ether and see if I can find an intake leak somewhere. Nothing else really makes sense. I will go back to a full stock configuration if I can't find anything else, just to make sure...

At the very least, this UOA truly shows it's value in showing that there is a problem somewhere, not apparent by any other means.

Vader, you may want to try an SB filter. I know I've pushed these a lot on the boards, but they truely are the best cotton gauze filter you can but in my opinion. When I had one on my Grand Am, there was practically no oil contamination on my MAF sensor like the K & N's produced.

www.intenseperformance.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back