2001 Taurus oil light

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an SE with the 3.0L Vulcan OHV V6 engine and just over 241,700 km (151,063 miles) on the clock.

Motorcraft 10W-30 has been used right from the start and a few months back the oil light would flicker every now and then. Switched to Fuchs Titan 15W-40 (5L) with a quart of MMO and the problem completely disappeared. Recently, the light flickering started again.

The oil was changed today (Motorcraft 5W-20), and the oil light is now on continuously at idle. Once the engine rpms rise, the oil light goes away - be it revving it slightly in neutral or driving down the road. Any idea what this could be?
confused.gif
Thanks!

Last edited:
Could be low oil pressure, but check the sending unit first. If it is verified low, you need to troubleshoot low oil pressure.

Bad oil pressure sender?

It's been a while since I replaced one of those. In the early days, just about every old car I've had needed the oil pressure sender replaced in its old age. Do you hear any valve clatter at idle once it's warmed up?

The engine runs very smoothly and quietly, no problem at all in that department.

Already advised to get the oil pressure checked, although I was wondering if this could possibly be a weak oil pump (because the light goes away at higher rpms)?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Bad oil pressure sender?
That would be my guess too. I'd replaced more than one when I owned Fords. My Daughter's has not gone bad yet in 106k.

Keep us informed!

Bill

If you actually had oil pressure so low that it kicked the light on I believe you would hear severe engine noise. Oil pressure sendor is my guess as well.

An update on the situation. Got the oil pressure switch/sender but prior to replacing it, decided to check the throttle body. It was a mess in there, so I cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner. Pulled out the IAC valve as well, and what a mess that was.

Started the car back up, and noticed quite an improvement at idle. Now the oil light does not stay on, but flickers like it did before the oil change.

So I haven't yet replaced the switch. Could this be an IAC related problem?
confused.gif

Nope not IAC related.

Most of the sensors that I've had to replace are due to them leaking. Some of them also did the oil pressure light on the dash flickering.

Bill

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
Quick question, if the IAC connector is pulled at idle, should the engine stall?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
Quick question, if the IAC connector is pulled at idle, should the engine stall?

I'd think so.

Ah. I ask because when I pulled the IAC connector, the engine kept running.
21.gif

That's why I said "think"
grin2.gif

If its still running I'd not worry unless its not running correctly.

Once the engine is running unplugging the IAC may or may not stall the engine depending on type.
The IAC is an electric motor or electro magnetic non motor that moves a pintle in and out to regulate idle air,this small motor comes in play with changing conditions like temperature,A/C use,placing the car in gear etc.

Unplugging it on a motor type (most common)just stops the pintle in its present position,if the engine is idling it will just continue to do so.
On a magnetic type the pintle may fully retract and stall the engine.These are mostly found on some Asian cars.

BTW its not a good idea to unplug anything with the engine running,chances are nothing happened but it could cause a short and do some damage to other components.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Ah. I ask because when I pulled the IAC connector, the engine kept running.
21.gif

That's why I said "think"
grin2.gif

If its still running I'd not worry unless its not running correctly.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Once the engine is running unplugging the IAC may or may not stall the engine depending on type.
The IAC is an electric motor or electro magnetic non motor that moves a pintle in and out to regulate idle air,this small motor comes in play with changing conditions like temperature,A/C use,placing the car in gear etc.

Unplugging it on a motor type (most common)just stops the pintle in its present position,if the engine is idling it will just continue to do so.
On a magnetic type the pintle may fully retract and stall the engine.These are mostly found on some Asian cars.

BTW its not a good idea to unplug anything with the engine running,chances are nothing happened but it could cause a short and do some damage to other components.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Trav!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back