Toyota 90915-20003 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the factory filter that came from my new Tacoma 4 cylinder truck.
I was going to run the factory fill for the entire 1000 mile break-in period stated in the manual, but decided to change it at a little over 600 miles because I was going on a 700 mile highway trip the next day.

This is that filter, and is not the same as the 90915-YZZD1 that my dealer sells for the truck...I think the factory filter is better but hard to come by, so I often use the TRD upgrade fiter (which is Champion built Toyota branded high performance filter available at Toyota dealers or online.)

DSC00110.jpg

Lots of silver swirlies and junk in the oil filter...yuck...but normal for the first few hundred miles I think. I do not have pictures of the second filter from 2400 miles, but the oil was not yucky like this anymore.

DSC00105.jpg

Those Denso foam-density media filters are nice flowing filters. My car never ran as good as with a Toyota /Denso Japan 90915-10003. The Champ filter is 2nd best AFA the VVTi phasing on my tiny engine. AFA filtering ability - haven't read how the Made in Japan Denso units fare ...

Originally Posted By: mshu7
Wow, that's a lot of junk down there in the can of the filter!
eek.gif

Guaranteed most of that is paint and metal flakes from cutting open the can - NOT engine wear-in flotsam.

Question: As we all know, manufacturers will take any opportunity to cheap out when it comes to designing parts for their cars. (...and I'm not singling out Toyota here).

So why do they install a really nice filter, with a silicone ADBV, silicone gasket, torque-stoppers, and depth-type media on the car at the factory, but the aftermarket OEM-branded filters have none of this? The Toyota-branded filters I buy at the dealer for my sister's RAV4 have a nitrile ADBV and gasket, no torque-stopper, and regular pleated paper media...seems bass-ackwards to me.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Question: As we all know, manufacturers will take any opportunity to cheap out when it comes to designing parts for their cars. (...and I'm not singling out Toyota here).

So why do they install a really nice filter, with a silicone ADBV, silicone gasket, torque-stoppers, and depth-type media on the car at the factory, but the aftermarket OEM-branded filters have none of this? The Toyota-branded filters I buy at the dealer for my sister's RAV4 have a nitrile ADBV and gasket, no torque-stopper, and regular pleated paper media...seems bass-ackwards to me.

Manufacturer nowadays also want greater profit from selling parts.
I think depend on the target market segment, some manufacturer nowadays offer options to customer whether they want to use premium or economy/value line for their spare parts, it is just how the marketing to be done.

What I learnt is many aftermarket products are the same quality or worse than the value line but comes with higher prices.

That Japan made foam filter normally I find about 20% more expensive than the paper based made in Thailand, but in countries where 5k oil change recommended, I do not think the filter make any difference whether foam or paper based, and customer is happier to pay the cheaper one.

My question and sentiment exactly. Funny LEXUS continuea to get the Japan Toyota Denso premium filter construction in their service parts filter - but not Toyota - we get the Thai made paper blend media denso units(#90915-YZZF1/2) - though similarly well built - minus the schnazzy media. They dont flow/operate the same on my car OR my wifes old 2AZfe in the gone but not forgotten '05 RAV4. Again - I dont know of their filtering efficacy.

Yikes - good to change the filter on, or better yet, before the 1st recommended change. That would make me want to always change before the recommendations knowing what it might look like, or just thinking about it. Shows the importance not to extend the 1st OC.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My question and sentiment exactly. Funny LEXUS continuea to get the Japan Toyota Denso premium filter construction in their service parts filter...

I didn't know that. So if I could get a Lexus dealer filter it would be like this good one? Hmmm...maybe worth looking into.
Also, the blue Denso First Time Fit filter that I got is different than the Toyota dealer filter as it had metal endcaps instead of glued, and the media appears mmuch better, too, even though it is paper.

And yes, you are right that the floaties are largely paint chips because I forgot to clean off the cutting wheel on my big pipe cutter. But most of the flakes at the bottom are metallic, and the oil has a silvery swirl when stirred. Lot's of break in junk.
I didn't photo the 2400 mile filter as the oil was just medium dark without the swirl or particles.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Just goes to show why the first oil change should be done early. Good job!

Thanks, I felt way better changing it early. There is no recomendation in the manual either for or against early oil change, it just starts out at 5K miles and keeps at that rate.
I didi drive carefully and changed speed a lot during the 1st 1000 miles like the manual said, then changed oil and filter at 600ish and at 2400 miles. At 5K miles I'll get on the regular schedule. Gonna run this PYB 5W-20 and Wix filter until then. Probably synthetic after 5K.

A GM powertrain engineer once told me that the first filter on the car catches as much dirt/debris/metal/trash as the rest of the filters the car will ever see (given a reasonable lifetime). It probably makes the most sense to install a very robust filter as the first filter, but subsequent filter changes may not need the absolute best filter you can get. A "standard" pleated paper filter might be the best value going forward.

I don't know how this applies to Toyota's newer cartridge filters; do the new-vehicle cartridge elements differ from the service elements? I dunno.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
A GM powertrain engineer once told me that the first filter on the car catches as much dirt/debris/metal/trash as the rest of the filters the car will ever see (given a reasonable lifetime).

Probably true, as long as you keep a good air filter on, and change the oil when you are supposed to. Best way to get rid of junk in the oil is to get rid or the oil, and most dirt tries to get in through the huge volume of dust laden air the engine inhales.
Still, I want a decent oil filter. I'm not an engineer, but I doubt that there is a significant, if any, increase in engine life due to wear by trying to get the last bit of oil filter efficiency if you take care of the engine properly.
Nothing wrong with spending a few buck more on oil filters though as a backup. I like this filter better than the OEM dealer supplied Denso 90915-YZZD1 as the latter is kind of cheapo in my opinion.

(I know, I know...people use them all the time and probably get hundreds of thousands of miles out of their cars, but I will pay extra for a Purolator made product, high end Champion Labs product like Mobil 1 or K&N, or a Wix/NAPA Gold.)

Hokiefyd, thanks for the info...that makes sense.

To answer YOUR question, the OEM cartridge filter I removed from my B-I-L's '09 Corolla looked almost identical to the Toyota-branded replacement from the dealer. The only discernible difference was in the "disc" of (resin?) that takes the place of the traditional end caps. The OEM was slightly thicker and darker than the replacement, but the same diameter. The media looked identical.

RF O-
Maybe as that app. would be a N.A. domestic sourced engine and filter? A past GM product(NUMMI)? Don't know - asking the Corolla guys.
Corolla/Vibe/Prism/GEO have been the odd but fruit bearing GM/Toyoda mariage de convenance.

Last edited:
I don't know where the Tacoma's engine is made, but the 1ZZ-FE engine long used in the Corolla was built in the Buffalo, WV, engine plant.

cartridge filter I removed from my B-I-L's '09 Corolla looked almost identical to the Toyota-branded replacement from the dealer. The only discernible difference was in the "disc" of (resin?) that takes the place of the traditional end caps. The OEM was slightly thicker and darker than the replacement, but the same diameter. The media looked identical.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't know where the Tacoma's engine is made, but the 1ZZ-FE engine long used in the Corolla was built in the Buffalo, WV, engine plant.

Freemont California, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back