What is your prefered Euro Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im guessing since there pushing both those engines about 200 whp less than I guess I will be alright. But in all serousness how much more serious can the Mobil one be over Motul 300 15/50 and Redline 15/50 oils that the Suby has been runing on since the new engine?

Last edited:
The Helix I know is top grade synth for Ferraris. G-III slack wax. I can't remember the name of the base oil now, it's good though.

Originally Posted By: asu
Im guessing since there pushing both those engines about 200 whp less than I guess I will be alright. But in all serousness how much more serious can the Mobil one be over Motul 300 15/50 and Redline 15/50 oils that the Suby has been runing on since the new engine?

Honestly I don't know how you are going to beat Motul 300V and Redline. Why not just use the Motul 300V or Redline in the 5w40 flavor for the winter?

ANY oil that is sold in Germany and says "synthetic" will be a true synthetic. Its illegal to sell the Castrol synthetics that we have here in the US in Germany. They are not true synthetics. 0W-30 "German Castrol" is the one exception. Its a real synthetic.
SO, any synthetic you buy in Germany will be a real synthetic...

...unless you buy it on an American military base. Then it could be anything.

Does Cosworth recommend up to 50 weight oil in the built engine? If not I'd run German Castrol, especially in the winter.

Im really intrigued by Redline as the price is reasonable and the product is great. Right now I have to put a stop gap oil in the car. Im looking for Mobil one 5w50 or Castrol syntec 5w50 whatever they have on base and have Redline shipped to me APO the problem is it may take two weeks to get here and I got to change this oil out pronto its not hacking it at all. I beleive they put in a 10w30 syntec in it for shipping purposes. Well anyways If I got to use Castrol Syntec 5w50 for two weeks it no going to kill the car. Better than the [censored] I have in there now

Originally Posted By: j_mac
ANY oil that is sold in Germany and says "synthetic" will be a true synthetic. Its illegal to sell the Castrol synthetics that we have here in the US in Germany. They are not true synthetics. 0W-30 "German Castrol" is the one exception. Its a real synthetic.
SO, any synthetic you buy in Germany will be a real synthetic...

...unless you buy it on an American military base. Then it could be anything.

Does Cosworth recommend up to 50 weight oil in the built engine? If not I'd run German Castrol, especially in the winter.

Yes the recommend a 15w50 oil

Ah OK,
I see your point. 5W-50 would be good for cold weather startups.

Since you're in Germany, Can you find an oil outside the military base? If it says synthetic on the bottle, then by German law it HAS to be a true synthetic. Helps take any guessing out of the equation.

I can get my hands on some of those German Oils but they are pricey. I did just get a 5liter jug of Motul 8100 5w40 I wonder if it is considered a light 40 as so many european motor oils are.

I can get my hands on some of those German Oils but they are pricey. I did just get a 5liter jug of Motul 8100 5w40 I wonder if it is considered a light 40 as so many european motor oils are.

Search for motor oil on ebay.de - You can find some great deals there
thumbsup2.gif

Just PCS to Germany from the states and Im horrified by the diffrent oils out there. Im looking to run a good class V or IV oil in my built car. 5/40 in the winter and 15/50 in the summer. Im looking espeacially for higher velosity 5/40 for the witner with good start up wear charachteristics.

Thanks John

Is there an AAFES store that sells motor oil? If so, what choices do they have in the 5w40 viscosity?

Elf is a good brand, Mobil 1 of course. 5w40 or 5w50, though I've never used a 5w50 in any vehicle.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Is this it?

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/synthetic-engine-oil/8100_X-cess_5W-40_(GB).pdf

Roger that is it. I still dont know really how to tell if a oil is heavy for a perspective weight or not.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Fuchs is the only Euro oil I'd pay extra for.

I have never seen Fuchs and I have been to several auto stores here in Germany and even know less about there product line.

Okay here are the oils I have come across so far

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
Liquid Molly 100% pure synthetic. 5w40

I know that they call for a 50 oil in the car but Cosworth did say I could run a 40 weight in the cold months. I dont really see why even a built engine with loose tolerances such as Cosworth EJ257s would call for such a thick oil in the winter such as a 50w I can see that in the summer. But in the winter wouldnt a 40w just add a little bit more wear protection on start up and still give a good stout and thick oil for bearings and cams under stop and go driving in the winter? Or am I all confused on the basics of Motor Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back