VW announces Golf R coming to the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks pretty cool, but really, if I wanted a car with an "R" in it again, I'd go for this in a heartbeat over the Golf R.

Granted, they don't make them anymore, so you'd have to go used, but still...

What sorta AWD system is the Golf using?

Interesting car. I'd like to test drive one. Do VW's still have terrible reliability?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
What sorta AWD system is the Golf using?

The old r32s used the Haldex (same as volvo) system. But I think the new one uses a different system, maybe audi's? ...have to check.

I'm somewhat disappointed that they decided to use the 2-liter turbo in this. You can get the same performance by chipping a GTI, so the only significant difference will be AWD. The question is whether it's worth the price premium. Personally, I think I'd rather have a slightly used CPO'd 335i than this R. It does look like a nice car though.

Those seats in that article are incredible! Too bad those aren't on the U.S. version.

Re the 2.0, IMO it's a better match than the VR6. The old r32's are great cars but are considered by any to be front heavy because of the VR6. The 2.0 puts out 10 more hp than the old VR6. I totally hear you that for very little money you can get 250hp or 280 or even 300 in a GTI.

But you run into FWD issues with that much power. The stock GTI (200hp) spins the tires fairly easily already. With the stock car you have to drive carefully not to accidently spin the tires from a stop sign occasionally. If you get on it, it will spin the tires in first second and a little in third. It spins the tires really easily which is where AWD may be of help.

My whole question with this car is, due to the weight of the AWD system, does the car feel heavy or more like the GTI? I've heard both viewpoints from the European press. Some say it is the perfect balance and others say it's too heavy. If the lighter weight 2.0 makes the front end lighter and the AWD system doesn't unduly weigh it down too much, it could be a great performer. I absolutely love those seats!

epcp_1006_03_o+2012_volkswagen_golf_r+seats.jpg

I'm running 270-hp and 323-lb/ft in my MkV. I wouldn't say that I have a serious problem with wheelspin. I run premium UHP summer tires, though. Full-throttle starts in "launch mode" will cause some chirping, but the ETC does a good job of keeping things under control without any major intervention. The OE cars are the victims of tires chosen by accountants.

The first thing I'd do with a new R is bump it up to 322-hp and 321-lb/ft. That should be a nice starting point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back