I put a motorcycle oil in my Briggs lawnmower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 550 series OHV Briggs & Stratton enine on my lawnmower.
I had leftover Mobil 1 Racing 4T from my motorcycle and used it to change the oil in my lawnmower. Its an SG oil with presumably high levels of ZDDP.
Did I screw up or was this a good idea?

Knowing people run lawnmowers for like 10 years without changing the oil and they still seem to run fine, I would say you're ahead of the curve.

Nothing wrong with it.M1 is expensive lawnmower oil,but a good mower is expensive now and worth taking care of.

I threw together some 10w-40 Honda motorcycle oil, 15w-40 Rotella, 5w-30 Pennz. Platinum, and 10w-30 Maxlife blend and my mower couldn't be happier.

I think.

To be honest, it just runs. It never really gives me any grief about anything aside from big rocks, big sticks, and wet grass.

Never met a lawnmower engine yet that was fussy about what oil was dumped into it. They'll run well on virtually any oil that can be poured into it.

As long as your mower doesn't have a catalytic convertor it will work great. I think the high ZDDP levels will plug up a catalytic convertor, that is why M1 doesn't recommend using them in cars.

I ran SAE 30 in my power equipment for years and years and years and then went to 15W-40 Rotella. That Motorcycle oil has more zinc and phosporus than either and it's synthetic so how bad can it be? Other than being expensive.

i have been using mobil 1 in my techumche engines for several seasons of commercial duty-has made a big diff vs reg oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back