The best Diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Over all the history of them, which engine do you think is the very best of all time? (as in terms of power, reliability, ability to be rebuilt easily, and your IMO)
Cummins ISX

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Cummins made an engine I think called the NTA 600 It had 600 HP and more c.i. than the 850 c.i models ,they were super powerful almost like driving an 80,000 lb car.
KTA450 or the KTTA600....Both 1150 cu in.

Thanks !!!

Oh, I forgot: GM LF9 Diesel. Truly a marvel of engineering.
34.gif

34.gif

34.gif

34.gif

Mercedes Benz 4cyl non turbo 1936 W136 - 80's W123
Maybe not that powerful but reliability and durability is incredible,easy to rebuild also.

Last edited:
The Peugeot 2.3 diesel, in either NA or turbo trim. Put one of those in an 80's Ranger ..or a contemporary Wrangler for that matter.

In the small diesel category im going to have to go with the Deutz or lister diesels. [censored] near indestructible. I came across a deutz in a Lincoln welder that had 24,500 hours on it without a major repair. The company actually kept a maintenance log right on the machine.

On the diesel pickup side, i would say the 89-98 5.9L Cummins and the 94.5-2003 7.3L power strokes. I have a pair of power strokes that were bought brand new, an 00, and 02. Both have over 350,000 miles on them.

Medium duty hands down end of story the larger DT series from international DT 466's, DT 530's The P pumped mechanically injected units were indestructible. If the hired hands managed to blow one up even the most catastrophic melt downs were remedied in under a weeks time.

The smaller DT series engines the 360 and the 408 were not as reliable and non wet sleeve engines that were considered throw away Vs their larger brothers that were wet sleeved and easily in framed.

Moving on to the Class 8 diesels. I would say that the pinnacle of OTR cat diesels was 1999-2001 15L 3406E diesels. (Serial number prefix 6nz) Even their big dog OTR motor the 600 HP which was a larger bore version 15.8L also called the 3406E (but with a serial number prefix of 7nz)

Or the Cummins N-14 motors from the same time period. I have to heavily disagree with the ISX engines. Prone to multiple sensor failures and constant EGR problems related issues.

The EPA pretty much ruined the run of reliable diesels in 2003 with their tightened emissions regulations. from there on out it was nothing but turbo failures, EGR issues, broken rocker arms, leaking gaskets and coolant, DPF regen's gone wrong or failed all together, horrible fuel mileage. basically undoing everything that big diesels have worked for all these years.

Also an honorable mention goes to the Brazilian Ford/new Holland diesels. I have a 175Hp 6.6L in a truck that has a light weight of 27,000 lbs. It never has a easy day. The 7.8L were also well regarded and durable, the larger version was also wet sleeved and rebuildable.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
In all seriousness, if the buyer can't get a diesel up front for a reasonable price compared to the gasoline-fueled alternatives, they have no hope of success.

Could mount exactly the same argument for hybrids, but they seem to be reasonably successful.

As petrol engines "advance", requiring direct injection, and a lot of the same equipment as diesels, there's going to be less of a variance in costs.

The Mitsubishi ARX has variable valve timing and of course electronic injectors,so they are sharing a lot more technology.

For trucks I'd list the Leyland 680,and 400.The English Ford (4D,6D)was also seen in everything,both 6cyl and 4 cyl.As well as trucks I've worked on them in compressors,welders and boats.They were a good reliable unit,and there was a petrol version of both too.

For automotive the Nissan TD series engines have proved themselves to be tough units,they may not be high tech and flash,but the TD27 and TD42 just keep running forever.

TDI...

Why? Because regardless VW has stuck to it over the years and baring teething problems with new models & bad dealer service they still sell fairly well.

Possibly the GMC detroit diesel inline sub engines, often turned into generators later. Lot of buses running Detroits wide open all day long and have been for decades. Caterpillar and Perkins need mentioning. Seems everyone has a favorite. The Peugeot however, I had a 504, had an aluminum head prone to warping, wouldn't be on my list of best diesels.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Yup and that Deutz was probably the noisiest engine ever !
Are those the air cooled engines?

Powerstrokes can last a LONG time, but are super complicated. Bordering on silly.
If trouble occurs, get out your wallet.

Reliable?
A NON fuel efficient and pretty dirty running engine that was very reliable was the Electromotive Locomotive V16s [also other V configurations]. I worked there for 7 years.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: bruno
Yup and that Deutz was probably the noisiest engine ever !
Are those the air cooled engines?

Most of the 500 hp V12's I worked around were, the sound was.....intense!

I'll take a Cummins, big rig or heavy duty pick-up. In the pick-up's, Cummins may not be the most powerfull, but it [censored] sure is bulletproof, Dodge has been running the 5.9 for 16 years, until they switched to the 6.7, they've built a stellar reputation for durability. Now if only Dodge could put a better truck around it, lol.

Sounds like the annual argument between my father & his brothers. Dad loves his Cummins, N14 or his favorite of the lot his old C444. Uncle Donald would argue the best built was Detroit 60 Series, while Uncle Wallace will shake his head and mutter something about being unable to stop a 500 Mack while cursing his way out of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back