Anyone have an experience with 4L60E transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what you think of their reliability. I think they are complete and utter junk, but my wife has the chance to trade her 2001 Eclipse GS with 178k miles for a 99 Firebird 3.8 V6 with the 4L60E with 54k original miles (rebuilt title).

Her car is NOTHING but reliable. I think the 4L60E will go out no later than 120k miles, but who knows?

What's your opinions on these transmissions?

The 4L60 is just a revised 700-R4 from the 80s. I have seen them with 200K+ with jet black fluid. I never personally owned one. A friend of mine has a 96 GMC that the o.e. trans lasted 160k before it quit. No maintenance whatsover was done to it.

If the Eclipse is paid off/paid for and nothing is wrong with it then I would just drive it until it [censored] out.

Well, it's an even trade. When I worked in the garage, we rebuilt 4L60E's out of V6 and V8 Fbodies, C5's at 90k miles, 1500 series Chevy trucks... And yeah, I knew how they were pretty much just 700R4's with electronics. And in my opinion, stock 700R4's didn't like taking abuse in even 305 TPI 3rd gen fbodies.

All with low mileage on them. I just don't think GM makes good auto trannies after working in the garage, and that's what worries me about hers. I wouldn't be surprised if it went out before 100k miles. I just don't think they can take abuse from what I've seen like the 4R70W Ford auto in stock set ups.

I have had good luck with the 4L60E's that I have had, I would be more concerned with the rebuilt title.

91 caprice stock 305 here with 300,000 miles on original 700R4. First transmission service it saw was when I got it at 130k miles. Did a 2000 mile flush on cheapo SuperTech DexIII, then changed filter in the pan and flushed again-this time with Amsoil synthetic ATF. Has not been touched since, but I did add a large aux cooler and inline filter at the same time. At 170k miles on this same fluid, it still looks bright red new and, well, smells ok too. I am thinking of changing it at some point again though, at least by the time it has 200k on the fluid. Trans still shifts fine and no leaks or issues.

Engine is all original too and runs great, but with slight front and rear main seal leaks that I can live with for now.

So I would not say all of these transmissions are junk. I do like the 700R4 better than the 4L60E's, which had some issues at first. 91 was the last year for the 700R4 or maybe 92...

We've had 6 trucks in our family with the 4L60E trannies. All of them saw some significant towing. All but 1 made it past 150k with out incident. All the vehicles were bought used and probably didn't have the fluid initially changed until 75k. The one that did blow was most likely due to abuse. My cousin would use the cruise pulling a 8,000 trailer and it would downshift sometimes down to second gear at 65 mph-that is what most likely killed it. Are they bullet proof, no, but overall we've had very good luck with them.

BMW would disagree with you on the GM trannies. They use them in their cars quite often.

If you have a "reliable" Eclipse, better call the Guiness Book of Records. You may have the only one.

I have 170k on mine...

Using Amsoil.

No issues whatsoever and I tow a lot!

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
BMW would disagree with you on the GM trannies. They use them in their cars quite often.

The ZF transmissions are more reliable in BMW's overall than the Strousburg, France- built GM transmissions. As a rule, the Germans do NOT like the GM transmissions that BMW puts in some models.

Mine lasted 48k miles. No towing done, not abused, with 2 AT fluid changes and a magnefine filter installed.

The reaction carrier blew up on while I was on the highway, of course, out of town as well. Had to tow it 70 or so miles back home and a GM reman was installed at the tune of 3k and change by my extended warranty company.

I have 194K+ miles on my all original Suburban with that transmission. Still shifts like new, I still get much better mpgs than EPA. I tow ATVs all year and a 5000# travel trailer during the summer. I drain the pan via my remote spin on filter mount every spring, costs me $20. The ATF is still bright red just before changing (I recycle it) as well. Unless something unforeseen happens, I am going to go to 300K miles and beyond.

I personally think the 4l60e is a good transmission. I've owned three trucks/suvs since '98 that have had them. Even with frequent towing up to 6000lbs,I never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

I just added up the friends or family that own/owned rigs with the 4l60e and came up with 11.

The only person that has had any trouble is my mom. Her '00 Yukon lost the tranny at about 140K.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
What's the story on the rebuilt title?

They said the rear ended a truck. Not sure on the exact extend of the damage.

If you have a "reliable" Eclipse, better call the Guiness Book of Records. You may have the only one.

The engines are super easy on oil (check the UOA's on here) and this one is a 5 speed with 179,000 miles on the original clutch and tranny. Only had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Serpentine belts, tires, brakes, and oil changes. Just maintenance from 125k until almost 190k. Doesn't smoke, leak, or anything. I did have to put a valve cover gasket on it. Everything looked beautiful at 170-175k when I did it. Most reliable car I've seen.

They use them, but BMW owners would agree with me.

Either way, it doesn't matter. I test drove that Firebird, and I kicked it from 10mph and at 3500-4000RPM, it started hesitating and jumping. Did it in 2nd gear, also, just not as bad. That was an 3 hours wasted. It idled fine, don't know if it was the plugs or plug wires. Coulda been a clogged fuel filter. Could have been in the torque converter (kinda reminded me of bad torque converter shudder).

Said no and headed over an hour back home. What a wasted trip. Sorry, I know GM has made good set ups. Like back in the day, get a 350 in a tough truck with a TH400, and you'll have a good, tough truck. But I'm a Ford man now because of my experiences and working in a garage for a few years. We worked on all vehicles, and I saw what came in the most. I figured the car would at least drive flawless with only 50k something miles on it... but me and GM have NEVER had good luck.

I don't drive my vehicles like I stole them, but I do wind them out daily, just not all the time. I use lots of engine braking (I always have manuals, have owned a couple autos), and all my Ford's have taken everything I've thrown at them (or threw in them and hooked behind them, for that matter).

Some of you guys are saying they make them 200k and more. From what I've seen, I just find it very hard to believe. Not saying you are making it up, ya'll are just telling me experiences... but man, I think they were nothing but problems. I think with a cooler installed, it helps their lifespan. But really, all of the GM pre-2000 or 2002 trannies were junk. RWD and FWD ones. Never seen so many with problems.

But yeah, like I said, doesn't matter now.

I'm on my third car with a 4L60E transmission in it and I've had no problems on a single one of them. The first one was in a 95 Trans Am I bought new, although I only owned it for a couple of years, so it was still pretty new when I traded it. The second one was in a 95 Formula that I bought used, and that car had 108k on it when I traded it for my 98 Corvette, which also has the 4L60E and I've got almost 118k on it now and have never had a problem with the transmission in any way. I've only done two fluid changes too, one at 53k and one at 101k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back