2009 Nissan 370Z - Nissan Ester 5W-30 - 2,575 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my first UOA... ever. What are your opinions on the TAN number? The fact Blackstone said "little acidic" makes me worry, but I'm just OCD about my cars
grin2.gif

Blackstone1.jpg

That ester oil is complete garbage in those engines according to various UOAs, whatever that's worth. It could actually be performing wonderfully, but I doubt it. Put some 5w-40 in it and see what happens.

I agree. I never bought into the ester stuff. In fact, the dealer put in the ester oil on accident, even though I brought them a case of Pennzoil Platinum. This time around I did my own oil change, and I am now running Amsoil SSO 0W-30.

I'd use SSO over this overpriced oil. I've yet to see the benefit. Price is ridiculous.

For this UOA, sheared a bit. Still breaking-in.

The Nissan oil isn't impressive in the VQ37 application. Understandably the engine is still breaking it. The oil has been chopped to bits. Try Rotella T6 5w40 for the next one.

I LOVE the add-pack on that oil - it's just like the pre-DS Havoline. It would be neat to see how it does in an engine other than a VQ....

But I agree, in these engines, it's a waste. Like others have said, these engines are brutal on oil - get a 0W-40 or 5W-40 and don't look back....

I wouldn't say it is garbage just yet. They do have a lot of moly and most of the wear in this UOA is probably from break in.

Not worth the price however.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
The Nissan oil isn't impressive in the VQ37 application. Understandably the engine is still breaking it. The oil has been chopped to bits. Try Rotella T6 5w40 for the next one.

There's no rule that oil shearing is always a bad thing. The oil should not be condemned because it has sheared.

UOAs are quite meaningless for determining actual oil performance anyway. Every engine has a different wear pattern and higher wear metals are not necessarily indicative of any problems.

Originally Posted By: LiquidZ
This time around I did my own oil change, and I am now running Amsoil SSO 0W-30.

Smart man.
You won't regret it...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I wouldn't say it is garbage just yet.

Sure it is - in the VQ37 anyway. Here's a UOA where the wear metals were coming down over the first 11K miles, and then jumped way up on Nissan Ester between 11K-15K. Note how badly the oil sheared as well. This is not an isolated example. You could not pay me to put Nissan Ester in my G37:

83449d1269917884-blackstone-laboratories-oil-analysis-reports-g37-uoa_4-problem.jpg

Last edited:

It's OK to use this in cars with cat converters and O2 sensors?

Originally Posted By: vlado11

You should be fine. FYI: o.e. converters have a 8yr/80k mile warranty.

Quote:
UOAs are quite meaningless for determining actual oil performance anyway

It's about the only thing that they reliably determine. I do agree that shearing should not be a reason to condemn an oil in a contemporary engine. Most (and they seem to gravitate toward the Asian persuasion) will shear oil down as far as they can ..

Just consider it engines that do what M1 0w-40 does for the Euro's. Instead of the last process for the oil being performed in the engine, the Asian engines convert all oils to M1 0-40's unique properties.

What kind of a HTHS can this oil have if it shears to 8.xxcSt?

Why would rotella make an SM rated oil that cannot be used is vehicles with modern day emission equipment?

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

Why would rotella make an SM rated oil that cannot be used is vehicles with modern day emission equipment?

The issue isn't why Rotella would have an SM oil but how much ZDDP the oil has, since it's the phosphorous that inactivates cat. converters. Rotella has quite a bit more ZDDP in it than most API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oils. This is allowed due to the nature of the chemical limits of the API SM/CJ-4 specs. With that said, this would NOT dissuade me from using Rotella in most modern engines.

Quote:
With that said, this would NOT dissuade me from using Rotella in most modern engines.

I agree.

JAG: Do you see any reason to view cat fatigue as anything but the total amount of phos processed by the engine; assuming that a percentage of each sump's phos/zinc content will be volatilized?

I'm patiently waiting to get a major spanking on my pet theory that it all comes down to how long one would keep the oil in service @ a given ppm level. Sorta like standard strength and extra strength Tylenol. It comes out to XX amount of the given agent over a given time(use) span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back