Octane Booster Gumout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wal-Mart two weeks and I notice Gumout Octane Booster for really cheap, so I purchased one.

I have Flashpro which is a tuning unit for my car. It can datalog for about 24 hours.

After putting in the octane booster, my car started to knock. I thought it was suppose to do the opposite. I did not advance the ignition at all.

I waited until I used up all of the gas with the octane booster to WOT my car again. When I started to WOT the car knocked again, when it never did before the octane booster.

I think the octane booster damage my spark plugs, to the point where it is not operating correctly. This is my best guess as of right now. If you guys have any ideas let me know.

In the mean time I have retarded the ignition so it won’t knock. The spark plug on my car is pricey and is going to cost me 73 bucks quoted from the dealer. BTW I have a 2009 Honda Civic Si.

Last edited:
You should find plugs cheaper at your local parts store. Or just pull them out and clean them.

Plugs for your car:

http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1443212

As for Gumout damaging the spark plugs that are only a year old? I doubt it. I've run a lot of stuff through my explorer and stratus (techron concentrate, injector cleaner, fuel system cleaner, amsoil PI), and multiple seafoam jobs, and I've never changed the plugs due to a knocking problem.

Last edited:
I have used all those fuel injector cleaner too. Never had an issue.

Any idea why my car is knocking out of no where after the octane booster?

I emailed them and this was their response. Typical [censored] they should of answered yes or no if it contained MMT. It's not like I was asking for specific% only if it was present. I'm returning this [censored] booster.

Dear Consumer,

Unfortunately, we cannot disclose formulation information. However,
our octane booster will typically increase your octane by 0.8 to 1.0
points.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:11:50 -0700 you wrote:

Does the octane booster contain MMT?
How many points will it raise the octane?

Originally Posted By: alltrac

Dear Consumer,

...our octane booster will typically increase your octane by 0.8 to 1.0
points.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

10 points equals 1 research octane number.

example: 89 octane has 20 points more octane than 87 octane.

0.8 to 1.0 points is useless and a waste of money. buy higher octane fuel at the pump.

I emailed them and this was their response. Typical [censored] they should of answered yes or no if it contained MMT. It's not like I was asking for specific% only if it was present. I'm returning this [censored] booster.

Dear Consumer,

points.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

You sent this question to who, Gumout? What email address did you use. When I send them an email their reply is always addressed to me, not dear consumer, and it is always signed by someone using their full name not just their initials. Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

10 points equals 1 research octane number.

example: 89 octane has 20 points more octane than 87 octane.

0.8 to 1.0 points is useless and a waste of money. buy higher octane fuel at the pump.

I already buy 91 octane that is the best in California you can get. Getting an extra full point in a supercharged car that likes to ping on 91 is cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Dear Consumer,

points.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

You sent this question to who, Gumout? What email address did you use. When I send them an email their reply is always addressed to me, not dear consumer, and it is always signed by someone using their full name not just their initials. Just curious.

Johnny I sent the email to [email protected] this was the email address given on Gumout's website.

Well, I sent them an email yesterday with the same question you asked and I will post their reply when I get it. If I get the same answer you did I will give them heck. I did use a different email address than you did.

[email protected]

Okay, got the reply and here it is:

Date: May 26, 2010 10:40:31 AM CDT
To:
Subject: Re: Gumout Question

No they do not.

Should you desire to speak with a technical representative to
discuss this issue in more detail please call Pennzoil-Quaker State
Technical Information at 1-800-237-8645.

Sincerely
JHarvell
Product Technical Service

On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:07:32 -0500 you wrote:

One more question for you. Does the Gumout Octane Booster contain
any MMT?

Thanks again for all your help,

Johnny P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back