Cheapest place to get Dexron VI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the dealer any place cheaper, or a brand thats better?

I saw that Mobil 1 has Dex VI but its a blend, thought Dexron VI was a full synthetic?

Wal-mart you mean Super tech? Do you know how much a drain and fill would be for g6 v6?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Walmart has Valvoline Maxlife DexVI for $15.50 a gallon.

This raises an interesting question. Valvoline MaxLife (at least the last bottle I looked at) says "Recommended for use in..." lots of applications, including Dex-VI, but it does not actually say that it meets the Dex-VI specs or is licensed. So, is it really Dex-VI? I've used it in lots of vehicles and been very happy with it, but I'm a little leery of using it in a Dex-VI application. Anyone know the definitive answer?

And, to the original question, NAPA (at least around here) carries Valvoline Dex-VI, which is full synthetic, for $5.79 per quart...best price I've seen other than the SuperTech at WalMart.

Yep, SuperTech Dex-VI. I used it in my Buick for about 15k miles. It was nice at first, then a failing pressure control solenoid got the best of it and started tearing that fluid apart. My shifts went from fast and smooth to fast and choppy/hard. Right now I'm running Valvoline MaxLife ATF and a TransGo shift kit, installed yesterday. Shifts have returned to fast and smooth. It's not an issue with the ATF, it's an issue with my transmission beating up the ATF because of electronic/mechanical problems.

MaxLife met the Dex-VI spec except for viscosity. They've thinned out the current product so it's compatible with the Dex-VI viscosity spec.

Last edited:
I've been reading up on the ST Dex VI here(google search) seems its gotten good results and was a big topic of discussion in 08. I know GM is strict about formulations so I believe ST will fit the bill for the cost. Going to do a drop and fill, hopefully I can get to the 11mm bolt with the vehicle on the ground to check fluid level.

@32k the tranny doesn't seem as responsive as it did 2k miles ago and read the average fluid change on the g6 is 25-30k before people feel degradation. I don't feel an issue driving easy on backroads, but when trying to launch quick onto the highway to get up to speed safely it just doesn't get up an go like it did before.

I went with Supertech Dex VI last year and now I'm replacing my AT at 48k miles. I have no idea whatsoever if the fluid was the cause. It was shifting extremely smooth and no warning of failure. Take it for what it's worth.

find a carquest.

i needed a case of mercon V and the carquest brand was by far the cheapest over all the other brands, and equal if not cheaper than walmart supertech. and Walmart is hit or miss whether they have enough in stock, carquest will have it or will get it for you next day. you won't do any better/worse with various brands, dexron is dexron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back