Has anyone tried a xw-40 in a 4cyl Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
128k on the Accord now. Runs like new. Still consuming about 1/2 qt per 4k miles. Thinking of trying a 40 grade just to see if it would slow consumption down at all.

I run 5w-40 in everything I own, small engines, diesel tractors, turck, and cars. Only one bottle on my shelf. Have 2009 Honda Fit with 23,000 miles. Has had 5w-40 in it since 1,000 mile mark. Does not use any oil. Philip.

I remember maybe 4 years ago somebody posted an UOA on a v6 Accord running around 10k miles on RTS 5w-40. The UOA was very good.

I did an OCI of about 5k miles with XD-3 0w-30 (almost a 40wt @ 12.3 Cst) on our TL that spec'd 5w-20 and the result was good apart from the fact that Terry advised there was too much phosphorus in the XD-3 for the engine. This was through a very cold canadian winter.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it, even in the winter.

This would certainly be the time of year to try it, and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd hesitate in the winter only because the battery in these Accords is so undersized, though perhaps you've already changed it out to something better.

Last edited:
How bout a thick 30? The Shell 10w-30 I have in the Wife's Subaru for Spring Season slowed consumption to zilch. 10w-xx might employ a thicker base stock and less Vii and less PPD than 5w-xx. Looking at the datasheet the Formula Shell may have little PPD, given its marginal winter pumping numbers. I would be afraid of 5w-40; thats a hard spread to accomplish in POE/PAO without making a varnish and sludge-prone oil. Shell 10w-30 Rotella is a good oil too - I'm not sure if the RT5SS displaced the Triple protection RT.

Almost forgot: IIRC the Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-30 is one of the thickest PCMO HM oils on the shelf according to my past research.

Thanks, I'm thinking of trying Rotella 5w40, M1 0w-40 or Rotella 10w30. Maybe even Maxlife 5w-30.

I'd think 40 would be too thick for the Honda engine - aren't they known for "close"/small clearances?

I'd check the Owner's manual.

What has me cringing, is the fact that the only "5W-40" I've seen sits next to/within the "diesel oil" section, and If I recall, it was Shell, or Rotella.....that's the only 5-40 I've seen at WM anyhow.

Bottle stated "for heavy duty engines" or something of the sense....

On a side note, I was looking at a Hyundai Sonata, 1998 I think it was....looked up the oil filter in the Walmart catalog, which also lists the oil capacity, recommended oil weight, and fuel/air/cabin filters and applicable spark plugs, I was surprised to see "5W-40" was listed as the recommended viscosity for this particular vehicle....

Of course it will run . Esp. in summer.
You will experience a drag though. Pep and gas mileage will go down.
If you need it, use it. But the stock 5-20 is best.

Originally Posted By: philipsearcy
I run 5w-40 in everything I own, small engines, diesel tractors, turck, and cars. Only one bottle on my shelf. Have 2009 Honda Fit with 23,000 miles. Has had 5w-40 in it since 1,000 mile mark. Does not use any oil. Philip.

Which 5w40 are you running in the Fit? I think if I try any 40 grade, I'll go with M1 0w40. It's the least thick among the 40 grades out there.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm leaning towards MaxLife 10w30 next.
Wasnt there just a lengthy thread where many were complaining about ticking and other noise with this oil? I would do the Rotella T first, the 10w-30, its pretty darn thick. Too thick for my Yaris. Dang diddly QUIET though.

Last edited:
We have had six four cyliner Hondas over the years, and they have seen everything from 5W-30 of various brands to the current fill of 15W-50 in the '99, which we have had since new.
10W-40 was the standard fill for our old Civics, and both of the current Accords run happily on 10W-40.
You will do no harm using a 10W-40 in warm weather. It shoudn't even create any noticeable drag or loss in fuel economy.
I know that 15W-50 has a very minimal effect on performance or fuel consumtption in my '99, although you questioned this in another thread.
Try a 10W-40 and see what you think.
It certainly won't hurt the engine (check any .au oil site for viscosity recs), and it may well reduce consumption.

My Accord burns everything. It was going through 1 quart per 1000 miles. Now it's down to 1 quart per 3000 miles with Rotella 5w40.

I'm doing it right now, it does sound a little more noisy and it might be just a tiny bit more sluggish and the gas mileage seems to be down. I'll be going back to a 30-grade after this.

Hmmmm

M1 10w40 HM
10w30 HM
0w40
Rotella 10w30
5w40

Maxlife 10w30

I just doing this to see what/if any difference it will have.

Originally Posted By: buster
Still consuming about 1/2 qt per 4k miles. Thinking of trying a 40 grade just to see if it would slow consumption down at all.

My 99SL2 Saturn consumes a minimum of 1/2 quart per 400 miles. Guess I look at this and don't see your problem.
21.gif

I have used Rotella T 5w-40, Mobil 1 Ow-40, and Rotella 10w-30. Could not see much of a drop in consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back