Mixing 5w20 / 5w30... to make 5w25

Status
Not open for further replies.
No since in doing that. In Fords I have found 5-20 is better suited than 5-30. If your engine calls for 5-20 then use it. If it calls for 5-30, go with that. These engine makers really do know their stuff.

You can run 5-30 in a VCT engine and never know the difference so my questipn is why mix oils. Seems silly to me

Originally Posted By: tig1
These engine makers really do know their stuff.

True...and these engine makers originally spec'd 5w-30 in a good number of motors. (Before 5w-20 CAFE became en vogue)

Yeah, GM used an awesomely designed intake manifold gasket in their 60* V6's.

Just saying...

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Just saying...

I guess if you really want to find exceptions you can.

No since in doing that. In Fords I have found 5-20 is better suited than 5-30. If your engine calls for 5-20 then use it. If it calls for 5-30, go with that. These engine makers really do know their stuff.

+1.

Between the design of the engine and more important the TESTING of the engines in REAL WORLD for MANY miles (you should see these guys that get to drive all over the US in testing fleets! What a job!
thumbsup2.gif
) I follow the manual with no issues. And make hundreds of thousands of miles unless the vehicle has problems NOT related to oil choice.

To the OP. No, I'd never mix a 5w-20 with a 5w-30. No need. Both oils work great. Why play?
21.gif

Bill

I'd mix it in a car spec'ing 5w-30 if a spare quart of 5w-20 was around. Wait, I just did that, and my car's not blowing up.

Just saying...

You really dont have to look hard. I know I see a lot wrong with Northstar engines and I saw a Mercury Mystique with a fuel injection setup that about burned down the car when the wires burned off the pump in the tank.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Just saying...

You really dont have to look hard. I know I see a lot wrong with Northstar engines and I saw a Mercury Mystique with a fuel injection setup that about burned down the car when the wires burned off the pump in the tank.
Cars are made as cheap as possible.

Just saying...

Yeah, every OEM has an issue now and then. Sorry if I came off as a smart butt.

To the OP, I towed my Jeep/trailer with my 5.4L Ford all the way to Utah and back with NAPA conventional 5W20 and she did fine. If your vehicle is spec'd for it, no real need to run anything else.

i do this all the time. either 50:50 or even 3:1 for a 5w27.
the biggest difference you can do is plug in an oil pan heater on a timer for 3 hours before you anticipate leaving in the morning.Starting the engine with warmed up oil is THE way to do it, and makes mixing totally not needed.

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
My owners manual says not to use synthetic oils.

Just wondering: what kind of vehicle do you own, and does the owner's manual give any reason?

Infiniti G35.. idk why they have that but in the manual it specifically says not to use synthetic oil yet they use 0w40 mobil one in the GT-R engine lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back