Redline PSF (power steering fluid) - Anyone using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've used or are using Redline power steering fluid in your car/truck, would you please let me know:

-What vehicle you are using or have used it in?
-Whether you liked it or not.
-Why you liked it or disliked it?

Thank you!

Larry S.
10*Bears

Currently using Redline power steering fluid in our 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro. I do indeed like it as it hasn't given me a reason to dislike it! Not sure when the PO had the p/s fluid changed but boy it was dark and a bit stinky before I put the Redline in.

Used it for years in my '96 Ford Windstar.
It calls for a Type F ATF.
The Redline worked quite well......great cold flow, nice quiet power steering pump.

Using it in my 99. The 99's are natoriouse for whining pumps....Not anymore. I tried a BG flush and fill, Mobil 1 Syn ATF, and regualr PS fluid. The only thing that helped is redline.

That truck has redline front to back in it.

I'm using Redline in my 93 Ranger,
switched to it from Type F because p/s resovoir seal was leaking, and at 210k it was an easier decision to replace entire pump vs. just the seal.
Put an A1 Cardone in. It's just a bit quieter that the original pump, but I actually like hearing the whining sound.

For where I live, it works just fine, I don't have extreme cold, but do have a lot of heat. I'm using it with an inline magnafine filter.

My '96 Roadmaster wagon had a couple instances of non-existent power steering on cold start ups during the year following my purchase of it in 2006. After searching for the problem on the Impala SS forum it seemed to be a reasonably common occurence that other people had not had luck getting rid of. Most flushed with common power steering fluid of various makes. I put some Auto Rx in my fluid and flushed it with Redline Power steering fluid 1-2k miles later. It has worked flawlessly ever since. I think I've done a drain and refill of the resevoir once since then.

Thank you to all for your input. I'll give it a try and post my impressions, too.

Currently, my Buick has no whine or other symptoms per se, though this model tends to have somewhat heavy power steering response IMHO.

When I pulled the PSF dipstick yesterday, the fluid was at the cold line when cold and that's good. It smelled burnt and looked pretty dark - brownish red.

I plan to do a "topside flush". Use the "super sucker" to draw the reservoir dry, refill with RL... raise front wheels off the ground and run the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times while running. Repeat procedure a couple of times. Dial the fluid level in; run it.

I don't really want to disconnect any lines right now since it's not leaking.

Thanks again for the input!

Larry S.

10*b

I have the RP Max Ez fluid in mine currently, but I am just waiting for some dry weather to completely flush that out and install the Red Line I already own.

The RP was OK (just getting old/dirty despite regular 'turkey baster' reservoir fluid changes).
It also did boil over slightly at the end of longer HPDE/open track sessions.

But since the RL is the fluid of choice among people who open track my car, and they NEVER have boil over problems when using it, I am switching.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I have the RP Max Ez fluid in mine currently, but I am just waiting for some dry weather to completely flush that out and install the Red Line I already own.

The RP was OK (just getting old/dirty despite regular 'turkey baster' reservoir fluid changes).
It also did boil over slightly at the end of longer HPDE/open track sessions.

But since the RL is the fluid of choice among people who open track my car, and they NEVER have boil over problems when using it, I am switching.

Dailydriver,

Thank you very much for the information!

I just ordered 4 quarts thru Amazon. Hoping that's enough to do the turkey baster swap a couple of times with the Buick and the "Big Red Pig" (pickup truck).

Larry

2 qts should get you a near complete change. Typically with GM PS there's 1 qt capacity and about 1/2 qt can be removed from the reservior at a time. So $ times and 2 qts should get most all of the old out.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
2 qts should get you a near complete change. Typically with GM PS there's 1 qt capacity and about 1/2 qt can be removed from the reservior at a time. So $ times and 2 qts should get most all of the old out.

mechanicx,

That was my guestimate. I ordered 4 quarts; 2 for the Buick and 2 for the "Big Red Pig".

Thanks for the info,

Larry S.
10*b

mechanicx,

Being you're signed in right now, I'd guess you're a "night owl", too.

I'm a long time insomniac. Various excuses. But I do it so well. They say everyone is good at something...
wink.gif

L
10*b

I used it in my 2008 Impala (did the turkey baster suck-out and refill 4 times over a couple of weeks) and also did the same for my sister's 2000 Buick Century...seems to work great. I've been using it for several years in different vehicles. I'm impressed with the specs and cold weather performance in subzero temps...highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back