Why am I burning less oil with Supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a beater/daily driver Mitsubishi Galant I recently switched from Castrol GTX to Supertech dino. I used 10w30 in both brands and the same Purolator classic filter with both oils. After a thousand miles of driving with the Supertech I seem to be burning maybe half the oil I did with Castrol. I'm not complaining at all but I wonder why. Any ideas?

driving conditions, maybe you did less cold starts, maybe you didn't use as much throttle as you did before, there are some variables

given that you have a mitsubishi, they are common oil burners, and I don't think that problem is going to fix itself......

its ok, my car burns oil too

Maybe the st oil runs clockwise and the GTX runs counterclockwise, just kid n,,,,glad u r getting good results.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
driving conditions, maybe you did less cold starts, maybe you didn't use as much throttle as you did before, there are some variables

given that you have a mitsubishi, they are common oil burners, and I don't think that problem is going to fix itself......

its ok, my car burns oil too

Cold starts are the one thing I can think of. Winter was brutal this year with temps sometimes 10 degrees or below.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Try Super Tech High Mileage. You may burn even less oil.

Supertech HM oil is actually thinner than their regular dino oil. It may help with leaks but not sure it'd help with burning.

Really? Pennzoil and Castrol HM oils are thicker than their regular formulations.

Some claim increased usage with Mobil 1, some claim less. The oil is simply a different formula. You may have had similar results using QS or PZ. There are other factors besides viscosity alone that can affect engine performance or oil usage. Being in NC, you're probably using the XOM version, which IMO, is a very good oil.

Originally Posted By: hominid7
Try Super Tech High Mileage. You may burn even less oil.

Supertech HM oil is actually thinner than their regular dino oil. It may help with leaks but not sure it'd help with burning.

Yep, the XOM 10W30 is 10.4 cST@100*c, the WPP version is 10.8, and the WPP HM is 9.9.

I didn't even look them up
crackmeup2.gif
(that might be the old data though)

Maybe the oil-engine combo wasn't a good one? My friend has a 01 Galant 2.4 that he uses PYB 5w30. It is around 190k at the moment. It doesn't burn oil, he does 3k OCI.

Originally Posted By: ncguy
I have a beater/daily driver Mitsubishi Galant I recently switched from Castrol GTX to Supertech dino. I used 10w30 in both brands and the same Purolator classic filter with both oils. After a thousand miles of driving with the Supertech I seem to be burning maybe half the oil I did with Castrol. I'm not complaining at all but I wonder why. Any ideas?
Dino Supertech= ExxonMobil = very lowest NOAK%OFF amoungst majors since it uses a superior basestock; a severe hydrocracked which is called synthetic these days... if it has a wide VI. Thats the 5w-xx, IDHD on the 10w-XX

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Some claim increased usage with Mobil 1, some claim less. The oil is simply a different formula. You may have had similar results using QS or PZ. There are other factors besides viscosity alone that can affect engine performance or oil usage. Being in NC, you're probably using the XOM version, which IMO, is a very good oil.

I wish it was XOM but it says WNE right on the bottom of the jug. It seems to be fine oil and I'm sure it will do a 4k oci with no problems.

Last edited:
Depending on where you live in the US, Super Tech can be supplied by XOM, WPP, or SOPUS. The biggest clue is to look at the bottle. XOM Super Tech have Mobil-shaped bottles, SOPUS Super Tech are shaped like QS, and WPP are, well, like this: http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2008/187/19/1215304198-69673_full.jpg. Btw, Warren specs can be found here: http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/motoroil.pdf

As far as burning oil, you have to compare the amount of oil left right after a long highway run. Short trips and idling induces fuel dilution, and that will make it look like there's less oil lost, or even INCREASED oil - I've seen it happen. When you take a long (hour-long) highway run, the fuel evaporates off through the PCV and then the "true" oil level starts showing.

Originally Posted By: ncguy
Winter was brutal this year with temps sometimes 10 degrees or below.

We would've considered 10* a heat wave this winter.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Maybe the st oil runs clockwise and the GTX runs counterclockwise.

Good point! Other things to consider: At what angle were the bottles when you poured the oil into the engine? Was the car sitting north-south or east-west?

Really? Pennzoil and Castrol HM oils are thicker than their regular formulations.

From what i can tell (and this is an assumption) Supertech HM oil is nothing more than Mag1 synthetic blend oil marketed as High Mileage oil. I'm not sure why they do this, other than perhaps the marketing wizzards at Walmart thought high mileage would sell better than a syn blend.

If you look up the MAG1 website their blend oil specs look just like the high mileage oil listed on Warrens PDS page. It does say all of their synthetics (both the blend and the full synthetic also sold at Walmart) are blended for "high mileage engines".

Supertech HM oil is one of the only ones i've ever seen that still meet the energy conserving specs and thus carry the starburst in 5w30 and 10w30 viscosities.

It's strange....However i think it's decent oil.

This is not surprising, and has always been the case. Castrol, Pennzoil, and Quaker State exclusively markets their blend only as high-mileage; Mobil, Kendall, and Valvoline non-exclusively so (having both "regular" blend and "high-mileage" blend). Most "store-brand" (Napa, Autozone) also goes with the exclusive route. In this case, Super Tech is no different, other than having a non-oil-industry oil mixer doing the sourcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back