Need Subaru 2.5L Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy. I'm new to the site and have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed with the tons of good info here. I just bought an '06 Forester non-turbo (sadly) and am looking for some input. It's the wife's car and generally won't be driven too hard, and go maybe 15k miles/yr. Currently at 2500 miles, I broke it in gently, and changed the factory fill at 1100 miles to 5W30 Syntec. Common to Subaru boxers (I think, our first), there is some noise and less than perfectly smooth idle, pretty much equal when cold or warm. Seems more like the solid lifters than piston slap to me. Also, we're not getting more than 24.5 mpg and hoped for up to 28. I'm hoping that will go up with further break-in. Subaru really pushes the 5W30, going as far to put it on the oil filler cap, although it does allow for other weights in the manual, as long as they're SM/GF4. I'm in the south and will likely see more summer days over 100 than winter nights under 20. Single digits are unlikely. It'll be garaged. I'm not opposed to different winter/summer grades or blending. Factory OCI for std service is 7500 miles and I realize a decent synthetic will be best on the engine if I follow this schedule (a better one than my current Syntec?). I'm resistant to the high-end ($) RL, Amsoil, etc. I'm quite intrigued by the GC 0W30, but am a little leary since it is neither SM nor GF4. Does it rally matter? I've read everything from Soobs prefering thin oil to liking thicker, to them not liking synthetics at all. What's gonna be my best bet for long-term protection and good running/decent mileage? Should I just ditch the synth/7500 mi idea and run a decent dino w/3750 OCI?
Thanks!

My 2000 Forester non-turbo as been run the last 101,000 miles on Mobil 1 5w30 & sometimes 10w30. My engine uses about 6 oz of oil in a 5,000 mile oil change interval I live in SW Florida so my engine see mostly hot tempetures. I sent a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis and the resultes were excellent for 5,500 miles and they suggested to go out to 7,000 next time. I see no reason to not use a 5w30 syn an go to 7-7,500 mile change. I also use OEM or a PureOne oil filter at each oil change. My Forester mileage is 22 in surburbin driving and 27.6 on cruise at ~72-74 mph

Mine used 1/2 qt over 7500 miles highway driving. It idles very smooth, except on the Katrina formula American gas last summer, when it was mildly misfiring at idle. Highway MPG at 73 mph, summer weather, is 29 to 30. MPG should improve after 10,000 miles or so, assuming the US gasoline quality is the way it was 1 1/2 years ago.

We've currently got 7 Subaru's in our 'family fleet'. Have had 7 others previously. All 14 are/were n/a. All the n/a 4's are very gentle on any oil [our two 6's generate a bit of extra heat]. Since you're not going to experience extreme cold, and your motor itn't going to cook the oil either, I'd choose a quality 5w-30 dino. I'll leave the OCI up to you as you'll know what the car's usage is like [short trips vs. long trips]. Your Forester will last as long as you want it to. And yes, your mileage will continue to climb. Ours climb 'til the vehicles reach 15 to 25 K miles depending on engine/driver.

Enjoy.

Dave

If you are going to pay $4-$5 for a quart of oil, you can do better than domestic syntec. I would recommend GC or Mobil 1 and use the factory suggested intervals until you are outside of warranty.

Take a look at my UOA for my 2005 Subaru OBS with the 2.5 in it-stellar results using Amsoil 5W30. This was taken after a fairly hot summer with several days close to 100 degrees. I would have no problems running this oil out to 7500 miles (I did in my last OCI which was just changed on Saturday).

Subaru engines have a distinct sound to them-you'll learn to love it. Your mileage will increase as the engine finishes breaking in. I didn't achieve my best mileage until I had 6-7K on it (which was 32MPG, 2 over the EPA estimates). I now get 28 when pulling my trailer on the highway, 30 when running on the interstate at 75MPH, and 31-32 at 60MPH on 2 lane highways.

2005 Outback Sport UOA

By the way....
welcome.gif

We have a 2006 Forester auto. Just got back from a 400 mile trip, averaged 29.XX. I also have a Saab 9-2X, a Subaru in fancier clothes. Manual, I get up to 34 mpg, but, usually 32 hwy, 27-28 city. Changed the oil on the Forester at 170 miles...darkest new oil I've ever seen. I'm planning on running Pennzoil Platinum 5-30...got it on sale at 2.08 a quart. Many mineral oils cost that much. I'd also like to run half 5-20 in it...look on the UOA for someone running full 5-20...very good results. Love these noisey little engines!

I have a 2004 WRX and have had wonderful results with both AMSOIL S2K and now S3K. But with that said, I sometimes believe you could use water in a Subaru engine and still get good results.

I think that Subaru would do just fine on one of the Chevron/Havoline brothers. And keep in mind, there is not a huge difference between 5w30 and 10w30.

If you're bent on a synthetic though, you might as well go with GC. You won't find a better oil in the mid 5 dollar range.

Soobs?

I have Outback with same engine. Best oil I used (subjectively) no UOA was Red Line 5W30. Use Delvac 1 5W40, dealer 10W40, and now Havoline Energy 5W30. Sube engines are so good it doesn't seem to matter what oil you use IMO.

Have an 04 X which got a very nice UOA on Mobil 1 5-30. It gets decent mileage, seems a little noisy - but apparently that is normal.

Going to try the GC 0-30 when I change the oil in May.

I have a 99 Forester 5 speed which currently has 125,000 on it. It gives me an average of 25 mpg combined city and freeway with a bit less on winter gas.
I have the usual high mileage Subaru piston slap and now that she is an old girl I am experimenting with 15-50 Mobil one. It is fairly warm here in San Mateo so a heavy oil works fine.
If I had your car I would run a much lighter synthetic, if GC or Amsoil was available probably one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back