Cloudy Lens: Hella E-Code Sealed Beam Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of new in the box, Hella e-code sealed beam conversions. I bought them a few years ago but have yet to install them. They've been stored in the garage in a cabinet in the original boxes.

I happened to look at them the other day and I noticed that the glass lenses are cloudy on the inside. I didn't have time to poke something inside them to see if it's just a cloudy film.

If it's a cloudy film, what can I use to clean them without damaging the reflector? I can mechanically use a cloth and poker...maybe in the high beam assembly, but this is a no-go with the lo/hi assemblies because of the light shield inside.

I'll snap a few photos when I get the chance.

First try just putting in a bulb and turning them on. If the heat doesn't clear it up pour in a little rubbing alcohol and swish it around.

There is definitely some film on the inside of the lens that is making them cloudy. It's difficult to photograph how bad cloudiness is, but the film can be seen where the arrow is pointing.

cloudyhella005a.jpg

My experience with this kind of thing is that liquid swishing in the assembly will not remove the film without some kind of mechanical scrubbing. The projector on my Ducati had to be disassembled and mechanically cleaned.

However, liquid swishing is the only option because I cannot access the inside of the lens through the bulb hole. Any ideas as to what kind of liquid can be used without damaging the reflector?

Rubbing alcohol is 30% water and won't air dry (forced or otherwise) without leaving residue behind.

TIA

The hardware store should have 99% Isopropyl alcohol. I would even try acetone instead. Many years ago I had a Cibie 165mm rectangular H4 hi/low conversion headlight just like your Hella. It had a cloudy film on the lens, and 99% Isopropyl alcohol swished around the inside cleared it right up. I would not use ordinary rubbing alcohol for just the reason you stated. Acetone should do the same thing, and it evaporates faster than alcohol.

I use a cotton ball and hot water with a tiny amount of dish soap. It cleans this type of headlight with ease. You can clean both the lens and the reflector (both will have haze). Then rinse it out with very hot water. Shake the rest of the water out. I you have an air compressor, blow it out (canned air works too) Then use a hair dryer. You will get it perfectly clean and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back