Ford 460 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so far I have 2k miles on the new (old) truck with the Castrol 10w-30. I could not find HDEO 10w-30 in anything ANYWHERE, so Dave was right on that one, as he usually is. At this point, it has used NO oil, gets 10-11 mpg, and runs like it is very well broken in. It has 212k on it. When I changed all of the fluids, the oil filter looked like it had been on there for 10 years. It was rusty and the paint was coming off. Now, this truck has been in So cal for it's life, so road salt was not the culprit. I think it had just been a very long time since a change. I had 2 gallons of Delvac from the Dmax, so i used that for 500 miles and "flushed" everything, dumped it and added the Castrol 10w-30. i do miss the Dmax, but am very happy with my purchase thus far. I'll keep you Ford heads updated. Thanks for listening!
34.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! Glad it's working out!

Althought in SoCal, with a 460, with 212k miles, I'd be leaning towards using a 15W-40....I'd have kept the Delvac in for a bit...

The 460 is one tough engine where I worked they had them in the service vans. The company I worked for "the San Francisco Bay Area" ran Delo 400 straight 30 all year round and the vans got no mercy in their use . The engines will last a long time.

Some may not be aware of this, but the Lima engine (370, 429, 460) oils the cam first, and then the mains. A lighter grade is not a bad idea here (stick with 5w-30 or 10w-30) to get the oil flowing as quickly as possible to the crank. Use a quality dino 10w-30 year round at 5k OCis, and you can plan on another 200k miles. Not that 15w-40 won't work, but in this case I think the standard grade might be a sensible choice.

Byron - did the tranny pan fit up ok?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i agree thin is in when it comes to oil

True, but for modern engines.

The 460 hardly counts in that category, as it hasn't essentially changed since 1968.

Dave, pan fit perfect. I need to replace the TC Clutch solenoid, so I am waiting to do that before installing it, but it fits well. Looks just like the old one depth wise, but with a drain plug.
20.gif

Even though I do live in SC, the temps here are very mild, so I think the thinner grade is perfect. If I lived back in So FL, I would probably do the 15w-40, but what I am using seems to be doing well, so I'll go with it. I am glad to hear these are good engines. I knew nothing about them and was a little concerned with the mileage, but it seems to not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try some Mobil1 15w50 in that 460. Works well in my big block engines and you can sometimes get it at Walmart on sale.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Did 460's ever get roller cams?

No Ford 460 ever got roller cams from the factory, but some cam manufacturers sell parts to convert the Ford 460 to a roller cam.

You'd get way more use out of a quality intake/exhaust makeover; better breathing makes for more power and efficiency.

I don't know that swapping cams would do much for longevity in that engine; it's not known for burning up cams. It's a torque'er; high rpms are not it's thing. Flat tappet cams survive just fine at lower rpm with moderate ramp profiles.

But, by gosh Byron, there's nothing wrong with a little fun!

I would be running an HDEO in it.

It's flat tappet, it's probably in a big truck (weight) and you may work it (pull trailers, etc.). I am assuming it's an F350, too, btw.

I'd run a 5W-40 HDEO in it. And, not just because I do like Rotella-T 5W-40 in the UOA's, I also like it because it's one of the thinner viscosity rating at 40C than the other HDEO 5W-40's I see.

Did you ever decide on anything? Keeping the flat tappet in mind, I'd go with GC 0W-30, M1 0W-40, or even better for z/p, HDEO's like RTS 5W-40. I believe GC and M1 0W-40 have 1000 zinc, 800 phos, while RTS has 1200+Z/1000+P

The choice is yours, but I'd like to hear back on what you've got in it now.

Right now I am running just dino Castrol 10w-30, but am considering RTS 5w-40 or M1 5w-30. It's only a little more $$ to run a decent GR III, so it is on the table, but running this oil for 3k and will then decide.I will keep you guys posted, but keep the input coming. It's good! Liking the truck alot so far with exception of the terrible mpg.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Right now I am running just dino Castrol 10w-30, but am considering RTS 5w-40 or M1 5w-30.

I would tell you to run the RTS 5w40,better add pack over the plain M1 5w30,but now if you would run there HM 5w30 thats a different story,but both great oils.

Byron, if you're running 5k miles or less on your OCIs, stick with a quality dino oil. As you well know, synthetics won't get you less wear in short OCIs, and cold starts are not exactly a threat in SoCal.

If you cannot get the 10w-30 HDEO, then pick a robust dino 5w-30 from a good brand name and you'll be fine.

Again, because of the oil system design, I'd stay away from heavy grades. Need to get oil to the crank asap.

Remember that pressure is the physical resistance to flow. If you've got really high pressure at start up, that means you're not getting the full benefit of flow upon start. Those crank mains need oil as quickly as you can get it there.

The voice of reason. The more I think about it, I will be sticking with 5w-30 Castrol or Valvoline. I will be putting on an intake and exhaust though as soon as I do the other things that need to be done (sensors, wheels, etc...) all in due time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back