Best 1911 Out of the Box under $1000.00 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish more companies made 1911 guns in 38 Super. The 38 Super is the best 1911 caliber IMHO. Soft shooting, plenty of power, extra capacity.

Never been a 45acp man. Please dont beat me.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I want one in 10mm.

They break parts. The swinging link system on the Colt Delta guns broke when used with full loaded 10mm rounds. Most ammo makers dont load to the original full tilt Norma specks.

Its a heck of a cartridge. But for 10mm I would take an EAA Witness or Glock for a 10mm gun. The S&W Wheel guns are also awesome in 10mm

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I want one in 10mm.

They break parts. The swinging link system on the Colt Delta guns broke when used with full loaded 10mm rounds. Most ammo makers dont load to the original full tilt Norma specks.

Its a heck of a cartridge. But for 10mm I would take an EAA Witness or Glock for a 10mm gun. The S&W Wheel guns are also awesome in 10mm

Just curious - if the parts that break were custom machined from Titanium, do you think they would withstand the abuse of the 10mm round?

I've been looking for sub-$1000 1911's for a while now. Actually sub-$700 really. Narrowed it down to a Springfield 1911's Mil-Spec and a STI Spartan. Read some very good things about the Spartan and I know a few guys who swear by them. Probably be my choice. From what I've read you'd have to spend a lot more money on a 1911 to get one with the slide-frame-barrel fit the Spartan has.

I have the parkerized Mil Spec in .45 and it is a wonderful gun. I got it new and while it was great out of the box, it really came into it's own after a couple hundred rounds. I would buy another one in a heartbeat over any other brand if they were all priced the same. I really love that gun. Only part I replaced was the mainspring housing because I prefer the old-style flat rear grip instead of the arched version that is part of the -A1 spec.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
I've been looking for sub-$1000 1911's for a while now. Actually sub-$700 really. Narrowed it down to a Springfield 1911's Mil-Spec and a STI Spartan. Read some very good things about the Spartan and I know a few guys who swear by them. Probably be my choice. From what I've read you'd have to spend a lot more money on a 1911 to get one with the slide-frame-barrel fit the Spartan has.

STI makes a helluva handgun.
I think a budget STI is better than most handguns out there.
In this prce range, the STI or a Kimber would be my choice for a 1911.

Originally Posted By: Win
What about these Rock Island Armory 1911's I see for $450-500 ish?

Are they any good?

They are made in the Phillipines. They used to be pretty bad in consistency, but have gotten better. STI uses their frames and slides for their Spartan gun now.

Centerfire systems sells a tactical version that would make a good gun to build on. I would take the gun and have a good smith replace the trigger parts with some from Wilson or some other producer of traditional forged parts and you would have a good gun.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I want one in 10mm.

Just curious - if the parts that break were custom machined from Titanium, do you think they would withstand the abuse of the 10mm round?

You would have to make the barrel out of titanium. I dont think that it has the properties required for a barrel. But if you stayed away from the full out norma spec loads you should be ok. The Witness guns also break the slide stops with the full loads over time.

The S&W Wheel guns are also awesome in 10mm

A 610 is one of my next purchases. Plus you can shoot .40 S&W in that gun.

Would make a nice brother to my S&W 625!
thumbsup2.gif

springfield mil-spec. I would get a taurus PT1911, but I have heard the customer service is horrible.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
springfield mil-spec. I would get a taurus PT1911, but I have heard the customer service is horrible.

Never call HK then. :)

Taurus is slow. But i have seen worse.

Originally Posted By: robbobster
Originally Posted By: BlownF150

STI makes a helluva handgun.
I think a budget STI is better than most handguns out there.
In this prce range, the STI or a Kimber would be my choice for a 1911.

STI Trojan would be my pick of the litter for a <$1000 1911.

one of the hot topics on gun forums is the use of injection molded metals, which supposedly the springfield mil-spec has none, so it is favored----this is a very controversial topic. some argue the MIM parts will fail, but many brands do use them. I don't know much about it, but I know it is discussed a lot on gun forums.

Actually, I think MIM is used in the Mil-Spec's Slide stop and safety. I'm at about 700 rounds through mine and can't see any fatigue or excessive wear, they're just broken in.

I have a 1911 that was made in the Philippines and the build quality seems to be on par with other 1911's that I have seen. It ain't no Kimber but still a sweet pistol on it's own.

Originally Posted By: cos
What's the opinion of S&W's line of 1911s?

+1. I'm looking into buying one. Made in USA at least.

Keep an eye on the pawn shops and gently used guns at dealers. Good deals are out there, bought a Kimber custom S/S with match barrel for $400.00 at a pawn shop. Other than that go with a Springfield, then a R/A.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back