FILTER change poll...run em' twice???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Big_Ed
Sounds like putting on dirty clothes after a shower. The cost of a filter really is cheap. Reusing filters never made any sense to me.

AMEN!

I'm pretty frugal but c'mon. If I'm draining oil, disposing of said oil, and pouring new, why wouldn't you spend the extra couple of minutes and $4.00 on a filter. Especially if the one currently installed has been sitting on there for three years. The piece of mind alone would eclipse the time/money. And any effort to clean or otherwise recondition the old filter will outweigh the cost of a new one. And this is coming from soneone that actualy has cleaned and reinstalled a cabin air filter. but we are talking about $20 on a non critical item there.

I would chime in and say that the plastic used to hold on the end caps can be a plasticized PVC. Plasticizer is leached out and can cause the vinyl to harden and crack over long periods of time.. Not something I'd want on a filter. Assuming you keep a filter on for 5000 miles at 50 mph, thats 100 hours of use. Now add in 5 years of storage and you add what....50,000 + hours??

I started doing 5K oil changes (via suction method) on my 96 Tacoma V6 with filter change every 10K a couple of years ago. Changing the filter was always so messy. This truck will out last me!

It's not being cheap. Honda recomends 20K filter changes, (every other oil change). My engine holds 6 qts and having done oil analysis its clear that the filter is still doing a good job at 10K. I run dino and could push it to 7-8K but it takes 5min to suck it out at 5K and replace it so why push the oil when it's easier and less messy to simply suck it out every 5k an deal with the messy oil filter every other time!

+1 oliveoil. Filtration gets better with miles driven. The question is how long is your normal oil changes and how clean is your engine running.

the industry in the 60s was on the every other oil change bandwagon, and then somewhere maybe 80s it changed to every oil change, with no science to support the need.

the OP, by his own admission, is cheap.
you state "the oil drained out looking very clean", and "... decanting the old oil for lawnmower use".
since you're cheap; here's a suggestion -- filter the oil with some cheesecloth, or similar material, and use it on your salads as a dressing. the huge amnounts of money that you'll save on dressing should be enough to cover a new 5 buck filter.sounds goofy, doesn't it ? no more goofy than trying to save 5 bucks by not changing a 3 year old filter. this is, at best, an inane thread, but has given me my morning laugh. thank you for that, saaboc. have a good day.

Filter fatigue is directly related to the number of warm up miles. The other miles are mostly hollow. Anyone above a certain mileage can have oil that can't make the distance while the filter is still viable.

Filter efficiency ratings are measured at the end of life. That's how the protocol works (if I read it correctly), hence you start off with a poorer rating ..and most likely never achieve the rating.

3000 miles in 6months as a daily driver? Probably a good amount of fuel enrichment mileage in there. Most likely a decent point in filter saturation achieved. Probably close to the filter half life and more oil fatigue

7000 miles in 6months of daily driving? Many warmed miles where no filter loading occurs. Less oil fatigue due to a number of factors, but where oxidation and other factors may take over ..but that do not affect the filter.

Someone doing 20k/year can take an EaO and do four 5k OCI's with an oil they won't take 10k. It's designed with higher holding capacity to manage that.

For MOST of you it breaks down to:

Under 10k/year - 6months on oil and filter = go as cheap as you please.
Over 10k/year = 6months on oil and the filter every other OCI - and go as expensive as you please.

Gary, your analysis fits right into what I do. I drive 20-25K per year. I could probably do 7.5K oil changes and 15K filter on the truck and be just fine.

Under those conditions ..a piece of cake. The OP falls into the unusual circumstance of having long distance daily driving conditions over a protracted time base. His vehicle is seeing 20k/year conditions over a 5 year period. He's more challenging the published shelf life on bottled oil product. The exception being that he's mixing it up periodically while in storage.

I know a lot of us here utilize UOA for nothing more than a trend-keeping tool or verification/justify that what we've been doing is a-ok with our motor. Others, though, try to eek out as much life from a product as possible. Peace of minders be darned, we want to get the best value, not spend the least amount of money.

That being said, for us who do utilize UOA to get the best value out of our products, why don't we use this same tool to determine oil filter life? If the analysis comes back with high insolubles, then unscrew the old filter, pop a new one in and you're down the same amount of oil you would have replaced anyway. The benefit comes when you see low insolubles in the first UOA, decide to keep it in for another OCI, and then again see the same level of insolubles in the following UOA.

When it comes to doing things "just cuz," this peace of mind, I feel, is for those who are either uncaring or under-educated. I wouldn't think any of us here is latter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even skip changing the filter an a $500 beater. Just seems wrong. For all of those who like to reuse filters, why not ask people with similar vehicles if you can have their old filters? Think of the dozens and dozens of dollars saved!

Originally Posted By: Big_Ed
I wouldn't even skip changing the filter an a $500 beater. Just seems wrong. For all of those who like to reuse filters, why not ask people with similar vehicles if you can have their old filters? Think of the dozens and dozens of dollars saved!

I'd do that! Some of the STI guys use boutique oils on their non-track-driven DD, changing it out every 2-3k. I'd take that (quality)filter and pint+ of oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back