MMO and Regane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using MMO for my last 2 tanks of gas and will fill up and add it again today. I'm not using it in the oil, just the gas tank. It seems to help my truck run a little smoother and have a little more power and a bit smoother idle. So far I have not had any MPG improvement but am willing to keep trying it for a while to see what happens. My truck is in great shape, is very well maintained and it ran and started fine before I started using MMO.

I also add a bottle of Regane Fuel System Cleaner about every 5000 miles. I just wonder is it good to continue using MMO every tank AND continue adding Regane every 5000 miles? Up until this point the Regane was the only fuel treatment I used.

Any info is always appreciated.

I am also interested in this, as i use Regane pretty often, but am also interested in using a bit of MMO to see if it adds any positives.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I have been using MMO for my last 2 tanks of gas and will fill up and add it again today. I'm not using it in the oil, just the gas tank. It seems to help my truck run a little smoother and have a little more power and a bit smoother idle. So far I have not had any MPG improvement but am willing to keep trying it for a while to see what happens. My truck is in great shape, is very well maintained and it ran and started fine before I started using MMO.

I also add a bottle of Regane Fuel System Cleaner about every 5000 miles. I just wonder is it good to continue using MMO every tank AND continue adding Regane every 5000 miles? Up until this point the Regane was the only fuel treatment I used.

Any info is always appreciated.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. MMO is not a FI cleaner, it is a top oil that does some cleaning, and works well at removing carbon. A great way to use it is start off with a good FI cleaner like Regane, without any MMO in the gas. After that start using MMO, every 5000 miles the Regane treatment would be just fine. In fact you could probably go 10,000 miles and then add Regane if you add MMO at each fill up. MMO will keep things clean in a good clean system, and act as a good UCL. The Regane treatment will keep things in tip top shape.

I would skip the regane and buy either lucas ucl in the big bottle or chevron tectron ( usually a rebate or bogo). Much more effective and less cost per treatment. I have never had much luck with gumout or stp products. You never see them being used professionally either. Just one mans opinion.

I've tried just about all of them and found the RL Complete Fuel System Cleaner to work the best. Techron is a good product too. JMO

Skip the MMO..

From VTR.org:

Industry experts estimate that the actual cost of producing most oil additives is from one-tenth to one-twentieth of the asking retail price. Certainly no additive manufacturer has come forward with any exotic, high-cost ingredient or list of ingredients to dispute this claim. As an interesting note along with this, back before there was so much competition in the field to drive prices down, Petrolon (Slick 50) was selling their PTFE products for as much as $400 per treatment! The words "buyer beware" seem to take on very real significance when talking about oil additives.

In addition, all of the major vehicle and engine manufacturers spend millions of dollars each year trying to increase the longevity of their products, and millions more paying off warranty claims when their products fail. Again, it only stands to reason that if they thought any of these additives would increase the life or improve the performance of their engines, they would be actively using and selling them - or at least endorsing their use.

For example:

Avco Lycoming, a major manufacturer of aircraft engines, states, "We have tried every additive we could find on the market, and they are all worthless."

Briggs and Stratton, renowned builders of some of the most durable engines in the world, says in their report on engine oil additives, "They do not appear to offer any benefits."

North Dakota State University conducted tests on oil additives and said in their report, "The theory sounds good- the only problem is that the products simply don't work."

And finally, Ed Hackett, chemist at the University of Nevada Desert Research Center, says, "Oil additives should not be used. The oil companies have gone to great lengths to develop an additive pack age that meets the vehicle's requirements. If you add anything to this oil you may upset the balance and prevent the oil from performing to specification."

When it come to "oil additives" I agree 100% with this. But when it comes to gasoline, one of the most unstable products out there, a "good" additive might help. The key is a "good" additive.

And in my most humble opinion, Lucas UCL is worthless.

Good. Thanks for all the quick replies. I will keep using MMO at each fill up, I really do believe the UCL properties are helping my engine. It surely can't hurt anything. I plan on continuing Regane every 5000 miles too, I know it has helped keep my whole fuel system clean and working well. I am not interested in adding anything to my oil.

Thanks again.

I consider Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner to be a top quality product. Readily available at Wally for a reasonable price. No hesitation to use it every 5k.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Good. Thanks for all the quick replies. I will keep using MMO at each fill up, I really do believe the UCL properties are helping my engine. It surely can't hurt anything. I plan on continuing Regane every 5000 miles too, I know it has helped keep my whole fuel system clean and working well. I am not interested in adding anything to my oil.

Thanks again.

Stick to your plan Jimmy, you'll be just fine. Keep in mind calculating mpgs in the winter time might be a little tough, since cars tend to run very rich, and fuel mixes change to winter blends.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
When it come to "oil additives" I agree 100% with this. But when it comes to gasoline, one of the most unstable products out there, a "good" additive might help. The key is a "good" additive.

And in my most humble opinion, Lucas UCL is worthless.

Many of the older, better-known oil treatments on the market do not make claims nearly so lavish as the new upstarts. Old standbys like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, instead offer things like "quieter lifters," "reduced oil burning" and a "cleaner engine."

Most are just kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol, or a combination

Quote:
Certainly no additive manufacturer has come forward with any exotic, high-cost ingredient or list of ingredients to dispute this claim.

Duh? And they never will. This writer apparently has never heard of intellectual property aka, proprietary ingredients.

There are proprietary ingredients that do not show up in MSDS because the MSDS is not a show and tell list of ingredients. The MSDS is a material safety data sheet.

Most high-cost ingredients are concentrated and are less than 1% of total formulation.

Quote:

Very good. Unless you have a known or suspected dirty engine, most OTC engine oil additves are not needed, especially since the newer oil chemistries are so efficient at cleaning.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help here. I live in a little town in central Florida and we don't have a Pep Boys anywhere close to here. I buy Regane and MMO at Walmart. I keep an eye out for sales on it at AAP and AZ. I use Napa brand 10W30 with Proselect filters (will stock up on the CarQuest oil and red filter deal before it ends next week). Napa and CQ oil both are the same and both come from Ashland and are very close to Valvoline so I really don't need or want to use any kind of oil additives. I do want to try to improve my MPG and engine power though. I don't know if we get winter mix gas here. My MPG has been about the same consistent 17 MPG in combined highway and driving around town, whether it is January or July.

Thanks again everybody.

Every 5,000 miles is too often for a real injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Once or twice a year should be enough.

The MMO may or may not improve gas mileage. I use it without expectations in this area. But it does lube that in tank fuel pump - more needed now than ever with the alcohol/gas we have! Other parts like valve stems and cylinder bores are getting a bit more lube, as well.
Cleaning? Sure. And at least some injector cleaning or prevention of deposits is a sure thing.

I'm not sure why one poster cited mfrs. concerns about oil additives in the crankcase. The issue here is fuel additives.
Even so, oil additives can certainly clean and provide benefits.

BTW, I also quit using Lucas UCL - permanently.

If you put MMO in your crankcase, I consider that to be an oil additive.

I wonder if Ford would honor their warranty if you told them you put MMO in your engine?

Last edited:
Well I filled up tonight and checked the mileage and got 17.5 on this last tank with MMO. I'll add more MMO again tomorrow, 6 ounces since I got 15 gallons of gas tonight. I already have it measured out, it's just dark here right now.

I think the MMO is doing some good in my engine and will continue to add it and see how it goes the next few weeks and months. I also like the fact that MMO lubes the fuel system parts like the fuel pump. If it helps the fuel pump and other parts last longer, then that's another great reason to continue using it. My Dakota will be due for an oil change late in January and I will add the Regane on the fuel fill up before it. Then as always with Regane, run that tank down around 1/4 and refill again. Then I'll continue on adding MMO on every fill up. What I try to do is add the amount proportionate to the amount of fuel it takes to fill up, like 6 ounces to the 15 gallons I bought tonight. Or as MMO puts it, 4 ounces to every 10 gallons of gas.

Just from this slight MPG improvement and the noticeable power improvement and in how my engine is running and idling now, I really do think I am getting a good benefit from MMO. Cheap as it is from Wally Mart, it sure can't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Every 5,000 miles is too often for a real injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Once or twice a year should be enough.

which FI cleaners would you include in the "real" injector cleaner category?

The ones i use are Techron but Gumout Regane more often...I use them without any real interval - kinda random - a lot less often than every 5,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back