Purolator Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Classic filter... Is it the same a premium plus? It seems like all the PP filters are being phased out and replaced with Classic.

I don't believe they are "exactly the same". The Prem. Plus was rated 96% efficient, where the Classic has improved on that to 97.5%. But yes, very similar.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I don't believe they are "exactly the same". The Prem. Plus was rated 96% efficient, where the Classic has improved on that to 97.5%. But yes, very similar.

I wonder what they changed that changed the efficiency. Have you read anything that says they changed anything or what they changed? Besides the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I wonder what they changed that changed the efficiency. Have you read anything that says they changed anything or what they changed? Besides the number.
Not sure what your issue is here with Purolator again. If you don't believe they improved the efficiency of the Classic from the Premium Plus, similar to the improved efficiency of the Pure One to 99.9%, perhaps you should email them. The efficiency improvement is similar for both P1 and Classic. Perhaps the media is different or more of it, I don't know. But, it wouldn't be my opinion they just picked an improved efficiency number out of the air, and changed the name to Classic.
21.gif

They really aren't the same filter, at least not the L 10193. Not only is the iconic assembly string gone, so is much of the media. The string is no loss. The media? Hard to say. It is possible the new filter has a better media, more efficient with the same dirt holding capacity with less of it. After all, Fram has traditionally used less media and a current thread shows a link to an M1 with half the media of the other filters.

Same old metal to metal dome end bypass.

New, foreign ownership.

What is known for sure is that the media in the new P1 is different from the old P1, and the efficiency improved. IMO, it's logical to assume that something similar was done to the Classic, besides changing the name.

We just haven't had a Classic tested by r_r yet, but perhaps in the future we will. The new P1 however, has done very well in his tests.

Originally Posted By: Andyge
IS Purolator Classic A GOOD FILTER FOR 3K-5K OCI?

THANKS
ANDY
Yes. The Purolator Classic would be fine for a 5K OCI. That said, at it's price point there's some competition of about equal quality, and close in efficiency for a bit less money. And the Pure One is only a little more.

IMO, where it shines is in an oil/filter combo promo deal from AAP. I'd much prefer a deal from AAP including a Puro Classic, as opposed to a combo from AZ or AAP (for the about the same cost) that includes the Orange Can. Now though, AAP has started offering a Pure One for $2 more, as a choice.

But, at 97.5% efficient and very decent construction, the Puro Classic makes a good choice.

Good all around filter. Yup.
Looks like they switched to a synthetic fiber blend recently...the newer "Classics" that is.

Originally Posted By: labman
I don't care how cheap. I don't like dome end bypasses and foreign ownership.

It's getting worse all the time. Our debt to China is huge ... better brush up on your Chinese.
wink.gif

I heard an interesting saying on the TV the other day: "If you owe the bank $10 they own you, but if you owe the bank $1M you own them."

While it's not my first choice, I don't mind foreign owned companies keeping US workers employed.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

While it's not my first choice, I don't mind foreign owned companies keeping US workers employed.

Yeah, probably better than US owned companies employing workers not in the US. If someone only bought products from US owned companies that actually made their products in the US these days, it wouldn't leave much out there to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back