Not open for further replies.
vehicle-----------------04 Toyota Echo, 1NZ-FE, 1.5L, 4 cyl
OIL---------------------Amsoil SSO 0w-30
oil additive------------none
Make up oil-----------none
Engine oil capacity---4 quarts
oil filter----------------Amsoil EAO09 or EAO10
air filter----------------Wix
miles on oil/filter------26,632 (apprx 8.5 months--1/3/09 thru 9/24/09)
miles on vehicle--------110,062

UOA by Oil Analyzers:
Overall severity of report--------3 (abnormal)

LAB COMMENTS: Lubricant and filter change is suggested if not done at sampling time; Infrared results indicate OXIDATION is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Base number is below acceptable minimum; Viscosity is SLIGHTLY HIGH; Abrasives (silicon/dirt) are at a MINOR LEVEL; Flagged additive levels are higher than expected for the lubricant that is identified (This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API, SAE or ISO classifications.)

WEAR METALS in PPM:
iron--------------------18
chromium-------------0
nickel------------------1
aluminum-------------5
copper-----------------5
lead--------------------0
tin----------------------0
cadmium--------------0
silver-------------------0
vanadium-------------0
CONTAMINANT METALS:
silicon-----------------35
sodium----------------10
potassium-------------2
MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
titanium---------------0
molybdenum---------0
Antimony-------------0
Manganese-----------0
Lithium---------------0
boron------------------1
ADDITIVE METALS:
magnesium-----------15
calcium----------------3576
barium-----------------3
phosphorus------------1078
zinc---------------------1492
Lube change-----------no
Lube filter change----no
fuel Soot Water visc40------------------n/a
visc100----------------12.6
TAN--------------------n/a
TBN--------------------1.21
oxidation--------------55
nitration---------------45

NOTES/COMMENTS:
This is a relative‘s car. Probably around 60% highway, 40% city. Previous OCI’s were apprx 10k miles with Royal Purple/conventional filter, then apprx 11,000-18,000 miles with Amsoil ASL 5W-30/Amsoil EAO09 or EaO10 filters and Amsoil ACD, Amsoil HDD diesel oils. Owner said he’s been changing air filter every 30,000 miles. The 30,000 mile plugs have been in use for probably around 60,000 miles.
At time of sample, I recommended oil/filter/plugs be changed ASAP. I recommended Denso Iridium Long Life (120,000 mile) plugs when his supply of 30,000 mile plugs runs out. I’m also going to recommend some periodical use of LC20 & FP60/FP Plus---LC20 to help keep engine as clean as possible/viscosity in check & FP60 to keep fuel system/combustion chamber clean/efficient.
Owner has been advised of Amsoil’s updated change intervals for EaO09/EaO10 oil filters. However, I don’t see a problem using the filters up to around 20,000+ miles in a clean, efficient engine with 100% synthetic oil.

PREVIOUS ANALYSIS:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1162922

Great oil, but I think you should not go beyond 15,000 miles. Why is the Zink and phosphorus so high. Aren't they supposed to be below something like 800 each to protect the cat conv?

Nice run, but like tig1 said, what's up with the zinc and phos. numbers? They're off the chart for SSO, and SM-spec oil...

Seems it was changed at just the right time - just crossing into 40-weight territory, and TBN just above 1. Now that's getting your value out of a 4-quart oil fill!

That is the first SSO UOA that has impressed me! Of course it is in a Toyota loging some serious HWY miles but still impressive! Why did he switch from their S3K 5W30? I can not imagine it not doing better then the SSO formulation!

I like the idea of some LC in their because those oxidation and nitration numbers are getting high and this is alway what bites most Toyota's in the back side is the insolubles.Lube Control will help with that!

Maybe the high zinc & phosporus is due to previous run with Amsoil ACD or HDD (diesel oil)? I recommended SSO rather than HDD for better mpg. Probably wouldn't hurt to run ACD occassionally to keep it squeaky, bright & shiny, like new, clean.

Originally Posted By: yota4me
Maybe the high zinc & phosporus is due to previous run with Amsoil ACD or HDD (diesel oil)? I recommended SSO rather than HDD for better mpg. Probably wouldn't hurt to run ACD occassionally to keep it squeaky, bright & shiny, like new, clean.

That would help explain it - didn't pay as much attention to the previous oil used.

Would be interesting to see a 25k run of S3K 5W-30 vs. SSO.....

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Zero make-up oil?

It didn't need any oil in 26,632 miles?

Correct--it used no oil. He said he added none & oil level remained same throuhout OCI. I checked dipstick at time of sample--oil was covering full mark.

I have integriet unlike some and when I see good results with an oil and car combo I will admit it! I still do not like SSO at all but in this application it did great and deserves recognition! I do the same thing with Schaffers products they make some great products I just do not think they work that great in Toyota's. I have yet to see a UOA with a modern Toyota engine and anything that Schaffers makes that has been anything better then average in most cause not even avverage. In my mind it is almost as stupid to pay more for an oil that has to be shipped to your house that does less for you then something cheaper that is national avialbe at a better price point and localy almost every where with no shipping cost. In fact as Larry the cable guy would say "That's like wiping before you poop!".....LOL Their is a nice FOrd UOA with some Schaffer's product in it and I had to complament it because it was a very good UOA in that application! Application is everything if not we would all wear one size fits most and either look like we where wearing our girl friends clothes or our bigger brothers clothes but we do not do that do we! Application matters and so do results other wise their is no point of having htis web sit and doing UOA!?

A few (translate: many) paragraph breaks would also be nice, JB...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
What oil is this guy using now?

Whether or not he's replaced it yet--I don't know--could still be racking up miles! He'll be replacing it with the same--Amsoil SSO 0w-30 with a EaO09 or EaO10 oil filter.

That was a great run. You had a long OCI, used up most of the TBN, but left a little for cushion. You can't time it much better than that.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back