help ... new ... question(s) ... JD 2305 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGY

Hi, I'm new ...

Need help ... have question(s).

Here goes:

Will be receiving NEW John Deere 2305 CUT in a couple of weeks. John Deere ships their tractors with Break-In Oil (10W-30). Break-In period ends at 50 hours. Question: After break-in period is ended, what weight oil should I use -- 10W-30 (as the break-in oil), 15W-40, 10W-40, 5W-30, 0W-40, dino or syn? Should the break-in period be longer? Here goes, which brand of oil? Should I continue to use John Deere branded oil, or should I use another high quality oil?

Any help (advice) will be greatly appreciated as I plan ahead ... BTW I live in the Southern USA -- specifically, hot and humid SC.

Thanks,
JGY

What viscosity does the manual call for?

I can bet you bottom dollar, the engine will be well broke in before 50 hours. I would think a few hours max.

If the manual allows 15W-40, I would use a good synthetic 15W-40 HDEO, such as: Amsoil AME 15W-40

Originally Posted By: JGY
Hi, I'm new ...

Need help ... have question(s).

Here goes:

Will be receiving NEW John Deere 2305 CUT in a couple of weeks. John Deere ships their tractors with Break-In Oil (10W-30). Break-In period ends at 50 hours. Question: After break-in period is ended, what weight oil should I use -- 10W-30 (as the break-in oil), 15W-40, 10W-40, 5W-30, 0W-40, dino or syn? Should the break-in period be longer? Here goes, which brand of oil? Should I continue to use John Deere branded oil, or should I use another high quality oil?

Any help (advice) will be greatly appreciated as I plan ahead ... BTW I live in the Southern USA -- specifically, hot and humid SC.

Thanks,
JGY

If its a John Deere product, you definitely cannot go wrong with their John Deere Brand oil...15W40 or 0W40. The +50 oil is awesome- high tbn and great wear protection. Both excellent choices. I would choose the 15W40. I have considered using their oil, but I have a pretty big stash, so that needs to be used first!

Last edited:
The specs from the John Deere website indicate JD 5W-30.

JGY

I work for a JD dealer. Unless you are going to run the unit in colder temps. 15w-40 is the preferred oil for the engine. We have 100's of the little Yanmar engine out in service that have ran JD Plus 50 oil in the them with over 5000+hrs and no problems.

J-D 0W-40 is also well recommended. Currently running it in my X595 (24 HP Yanmar). If you're interested, check the O.M. and see if it's one of the recommendations. I got 3, 5 gallon pails of it in January when my dealer had their annual oil/filter special, so I should be set for awhile.
wink.gif

At the TractorByNet.com forum, Shell RTS 5w-40 is highly thought of, so, I've been using that (the old CI-4+ version) in my 955 CUT (33 HP Yanmar) for 600+ hours, and had been using it in the X595 from the 50 Hr initial drain 'til changing to the 0W-40.

Nothing against 15-40, however, I noticed an easier cold-crank and seemingly quicker throttle response with the 5-40 in the 955, which had 15-40 in it when I got it. Maybe it's just a placebo effect?
grin2.gif
It's kept in an unheated garage, and when it's zero outside and the snow's piling up, it's nice to have it start easily.
grin2.gif

JGY,

I have a new JD 2305, too. Have only about 30 hours on it, so your post is timely for me, too. Just based on the owner's manual, which recommends an HDEO 5W-30 or 10W-30, I've picked up a gallon of Shell Rotella T 10W-30 to use at the 50-hr. change.

I don't know where you are in the southern USA, but I'm south of you, on the same latitude as Mexico City. But it seldom gets to 90*F here, and it never gets cold. I plan to put about 100 hours on the 10W-30 and then see how it holds up.

I have a JD 4610 with a bigger Yanmar engine in which I'm now using Shell RTS 5W-40. I work this tractor really hard and although my local JD dealer recommends a straight JD SAE 30 for it, I'm more comfortable with a 40.

Let us know what you decide, and eventually how it works out.

Cheers,
Mark

For decades, the Japaneese have been purveyors of small diesel powered tractors, gen-sets, and other equipment. They really have become the best at the game. Others are catching up, but I'd still say they're the best. Of note, Kubota and Yanmar are top contenders.

The little Deere products all have Yanmar engines, IIRC. Yanmar makes some nearly-indestructible engines. If you knew how these products are treated in third-world countries, you'd quit worrying about how we treat them in North America. I don't think you could kill a Yanmar engine, except maybe if you were to run salt-water in the crankcase instead of engine oil.

Just make sure you choose an oil within the spec/grade in your stated manufacturers guide. Oil brand choice is nowhere as important as your overall committment to lubricant maintenance schedules. UOAs are your best guide for OCIs. In lieu of that, the maintenance schedule from Deere will suffice.

If you want suggestions on brand/grade, I'd say go with one of the big three (Delo, Delvac, Rotella -alphabetical order) in 15w-40 for your area. They will be at any Wally World, any autoparts store, or any truck stop; they're everywhere, and at a good price.

Unless you're going to extend your OCIs way out, don't even fret over the "synthetic" issue. Just use conventional oil and not worry about it. Synthetic lubricants are primarily for making the lubricant last longer, not the equipment. Check the UOA section and you'll see plenty of evidence to support this statement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and information ... I have decided on the John Deere Plus 50 15W-40 HDEO. I'm here in sunny, hot, dry SC; and we've been having 98, 99 and 100+ degree days here lately.

I don't think multi-viscosity SAE 30 weight oil does well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I believe the 40 weight will do better at these high temperatures (and humidity)!!!

JGY

Originally Posted By: marco246
... Let us know what you decide, and eventually how it works out.

Cheers,
Mark

Followup:

As dnewton3 (and others) suggested and after trying 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils, I went with 15W-40. The little tractor started using oil on the 5W and 10W oils .... Oil usage stopped after settling on 15W-40.

Thanks,
JGY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back