California questioning ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://wwwp.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/ethanol/california-takes-on-king-corn
Quote:
California regulators, trying to assess the true environmental cost of corn ethanol, are poised to declare that the biofuel cannot help the state reduce global warming.

As they see it, corn is no better – and might be worse – than petroleum when total greenhouse gas emissions are considered.
Such a declaration, to be considered later this week by the California Air Resources Board, would be a considerable blow to the corn-ethanol industry in the United States.

Quote:
By 2012, about a third of all corn produced in the U.S. will go towards making ethanol, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Tempest, are you suggesting a felt gniw, kopin momcie regulating institution is trying to stick it to the farmers, the consumer, and to the ethanol producing industry? Since bogal ramwing is just humbug, what does it all mean?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
holy [censored], California regulators say something that makes sense

The world is going to end.

That is why I posted it... I was
shocked2.gif

They are likely to throw the baby out with the bathwater 'though, by making some blanket decision.

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
holy [censored], California regulators say something that makes sense

The world is going to end.

RUN AND HIDE!
27.gif

Must be some kind of disease running rampant in CA for anyone from there to make sense on a political issue.

If they go threw with it get ready 4 poor gas mileage and occasional rough idle..That's what happened here in Fla..We use 10% right now and they want to make it higher in the future.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
They are likely to throw the baby out with the bathwater 'though, by making some blanket decision.

Yeah, especially since they (CARB and the gub'ment in general) is largely responsible for the ethanol thing in the first place. Give beleaguered farmer the bone of ethanol, then just a few years later, after billions are spent on infrastructure, yank it away. Typical, very typical!

This proves the example that politics isn't always left and right, but sometimes a circle... where strange bedfellows suddenly start making sense.

The misleading part of Ethanol is that you do not need corn to create it. It can be made from a variety of sources that are far cheaper and less costly to US consumers. Then again I don't want ethanol because it kills MPG and hurts our wallets in more ways than one.

Create a meeting place for all those who are speculating the oil market and drop a nuke on them. Prices will go back down.

If the engine is setup to run alky it will run good . Way higher compression timing etc. Add some kind of supercharger even better .It is the same type of problem with running propane and natural gas in an engine optimized for gasoline except more so with alky.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Create a meeting place for all those who are speculating the oil market and drop a nuke on them. Prices will go back down.
Along with many of our politicians

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The baby is safe, this specifically addresses the Corn Ethanol scam and encourages other fuels that actually help.

Originally Posted By: From The Article
The board must encourage the use of cleaner alternatives like electricity, hydrogen and cellulosic ethanol, said board spokesman Dimitri Stanich.

---------------------
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Yeah, especially since they (CARB and the gub'ment in general) is largely responsible for the ethanol thing in the first place. Give beleaguered farmer the bone of ethanol, then just a few years later, after billions are spent on infrastructure, yank it away. Typical, very typical!

Since it was agribusiness, their lobbyists and bought and paid for Congress Critters that caused this Ethanol scam, tough luck. Don't invest in scams.

CARB has been against Ethanol for years, this is strictly a Fed scam.

Don't put it passed some of the Agro-lobbyist from pulling this stunt to corral the herd of their own membership. Once the balloon pops, there will be the bigger boyz sucking up the leftovers at discount pricing.

I really have to get inside some of these heads for a week or two. I really need to wrap around the drive mechanism that seek this monopolization with the high level of scorched earth that they leave in their wake.

I'd love to be announcing at the awards banquet for this type of achievement.

"and for the most carnage in economic fleecing, while devouring his fellow contemporaries, AND getting the average consumer to pick up the tab, I am proud to present..."

My experience with 10% Ethanol in gasoline, otherwise called Gasohol, has not been good. My Nissan, using 87 octane unleaded gasoline, no ethanol added gets 27 miles per gallon. On the 10% Ethanol, I get 17 mpg...excellent.....huh? Ethanol to me, and this is my opinion is just good ole "Rot Gut" for the vehicle; rust the vehicle from the inside out and get lousy mileage on top of it....(I just love Ethanol)....Lol

sp (Rot Gut)

57.gif

Originally Posted By: stockrex
wait till ADM inc lobby get to them :)
So true California government people are as crooked as the lobbiests who own them.

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
My Nissan, using 87 octane unleaded gasoline, no ethanol added gets 27 miles per gallon. On the 10% Ethanol, I get 17 mpg...

A 37% reduction in MPG from running 10% ethanol? That is pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
http://wwwp.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/ethanol/california-takes-on-king-corn
Quote:
California regulators, trying to assess the true environmental cost of corn ethanol, are poised to declare that the biofuel cannot help the state reduce global warming.

As they see it, corn is no better – and might be worse – than petroleum when total greenhouse gas emissions are considered.
Such a declaration, to be considered later this week by the California Air Resources Board, would be a considerable blow to the corn-ethanol industry in the United States.

Quote:
By 2012, about a third of all corn produced in the U.S. will go towards making ethanol, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

Sounds like a well orchestrated fundraising effort by Californian politicians and various regulatory agencies to get a quick infusion of hush money from ADM. The time honored strategy of making noise to draw attention and a settlement offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back