Fit is go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You might want to try a Cobalt XFE, its mileage is rated slightly better that the Yaris and Fit and might be a 1/3 less expensive. The motor is in another league but the interior might not be to your liking. We have a regular Cobalt as a work vehicle and its fine for the most part. Probably its what I would choose out of all of them but I'm not picky in terms of interior aesthetics. Maybe if the Fit handles alot better I might be swayed, but $4k is worth quite a bit to me...
Bah, unless my car has some catastrophic failure I'm not getting

Buying a car that costs $4000 less is not necessarily a way to save money. The cost of ownership does not depend on the original purchase price of a vehicle, but on the depreciation.

If GM survives, then because of the new CAFE standards it may be forced to dump lots of high-MPG cars on the market to raise its corporate average. Thus, the historically higher rate of depreciation for GM cars is likely to continue or even get worse. OTOH, Honda has no worries about CAFE and doesn't have to offer big rebates or cheap financing all the time. So their resale values tend to be higher.

Hypothetical example: a car that cost $20k when new and loses $7k in value after five years and 100k miles, is cheaper than one which cost $16k and dropped $9k in value in the same period.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Nah, just typical Honda road noise. Really, I was a tad anxious based on comments on the highway ride. But I found it VERY plesant. It feels a LOT more high quality than its price. You definately forget you're driving Honda's tiniest offering.

My co-worker has the 1st gen Fit and it has more road noise than my Corolla, but not enough to worry about.

I went out yesterday and drove a new Fit. (Sport with the Auto)

NICE car! A little less room for me in the drivers seat compared to the Corolla (BUT I'm almost 6foot 6") but really a NICE package.

(And I feel the car has about the same as the Civic or Corolla as far as road noise A little better than 1st gen FITs)

The car went down the freeway better than the Civic I also drove.

Even if the Civic was the same price as the Fit, I'd buy a Fit.

I don't like the windows in front of the Mirrors in either car.

They will be broken by the window smashers who break into cars in parking lots. (They LOVE little windows.. The Corolla rear little window is the preferred method of breaking into those cars...)

Now I'm going to ask a dumb question....

Did it have a Coolant temp gauge? I don't remember seeing it (I was just amazed with the car I forgot to remember..)

(They were out of the brochures and I can not see one on the web site.)

The Civic did (along with the !#@$^ 2 tier dash)...
06.gif

Brian does your have one? (not a biggie, the Subaru Forester we are also thinking about does not and I have a Scan gauge so I'm covered)

The price they are getting for the Fit will all the stuff (like ABS) is just a deal.

Good choice!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

PS: Not a single manual Fit at the dealership...

PPS: The big car guys would hate anything small. (and foreign. They do have an agenda)

Now that you mention it, I don't guess it does, Bill! It has an idiot light for too hot and one for too cold! I have a scanguage as well but I think I am going to leave it in my CR-V.

I had things a tad cluttered in the V due to an XM receiver, radar detector, scanguage, and the TomTom. The TomTom is the only thing I have moved so far and I will say that the extremely sloping windshield makes mounting it less than ideal. To keep it from having a cord dangling 2 feet in the air, it has to be mounted really far out and not in a practical position to really adjust while driving. But that's fine with me b/c I just turn it on and program my course before I leave the driveway.

I would have to mount my radar detector similarly but that's less of an issue. Alternately I guess I could tap it (radar detector) into the map lights and mount it by the rear view mirror. We'll see. In the V, I removed the plastic cover over the A-pillar and ran cords through it. But I am a little nervous about popping that off on this car with the side curtain airbags! But I guess that would be an issue on any new car. In my quest to save gas, I don't speed anymore but that didn't save me from getting popped to the tune of $200 other day for gently rolling through a stop sign.

As for the XM, I may go to an audio shop to see where they think it should go. Having an antenna makes it a bit more problematic to mount in ANY car.

Gotta say...I'm not bummed about buying an auto. with the paddle shifters, I can still shift early if I need to and kick down when I want to. So...no big deal. The few times I have run it in manual mode I have kinda cringed, thinking "oh yeah, I forgot what it was like to have another operation to perform while driving."

Ok, I was just wondering on the temp gauge. (not really much you can do with todays cars. But when was the last time you've seen one overheat? I'm not concerned)

Quote:
I don't speed anymore but that didn't save me from getting popped to the tune of $200 other day for gently rolling through a stop sign.
SORRY to hear that!
frown.gif

Since the XM just needs to see the sky, can not they just mount a antenna on the corner on the windshield inside and that work? (GPS units seem not to have any issues though they have 26 satellites)

I've ALWAYS had manuals when having a choice but I will say the Auto-stick in the Subaru has made me very HAPPY with having a auto.

They have improved them 100%.

I liked the test drive of the Fit. (the salesman kept telling my wife that he was going to sell me a car yesterday since I was going off on how nice it was)

We REALLY love the Subaru (it's AWD is just AMAZING and we do get a "little"
grin2.gif
snow here) and the Forester is a nice rig too. But bigger and more gas down its throat.

*If* we were smart, we would keep the Outback and STOP thinking about another new car. Its only a 2007 with 25k on it....

Take care, Bill

Yeah, didn't think about leaving the antenna inside...

Glad you liked the Fit. I did, too! The Forester is a great car, too. It was my second choice when I got my CR-V. The saleman lost that deal.

Well, I'm fully outfitted with cars now. I won't be buying anything for a while. Unless I by a new boat....
LOL.gif

a normal temp gauge is one thing we desire in the YARIS . Makes us concerned that a light won't appear until it is or has overheated . Worse yet is the chance that the sensor won't work due to being faulty . Thus , engine damage or failure . Even a digital temp gauge with blue , orange , and red bars be nice for observation . You'd think with a hard working little 1.5 ltr. motor they'd provide a temperature gauge . Especially for those in bumper to bumper to work commutes in large cities in hot , humid or scorching heat .

as for mileage , the ratings for HONDA and TOYOTA seem to be about 2 > 4 more miles per gallon than stated . Both our YARIS ( '08 auto sedan & '09 auto 4 door H.B. ) are a close neck and neck with overall mileage of about 38 m.p.g.. The average is going up thanks to summer blend and warmer weather . The mileage stated in CONSUMER REPORTS is a joke , they average the numbers on the window sticker . Example : 29 cit / 35 Hwy. are added together and divided by 2 which is 32 m.p.g. . Deceiving for real world driving . Could hurt sales of that vehicle . Have my doubts about C.R. these days .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You might want to try a Cobalt XFE, its mileage is rated slightly better that the Yaris and Fit and might be a 1/3 less expensive. The motor is in another league but the interior might not be to your liking. We have a regular Cobalt as a work vehicle and its fine for the most part. Probably its what I would choose out of all of them but I'm not picky in terms of interior aesthetics. Maybe if the Fit handles alot better I might be swayed, but $4k is worth quite a bit to me...
Bah, unless my car has some catastrophic failure I'm not getting

Buying a car that costs $4000 less is not necessarily a way to save money. The cost of ownership does not depend on the original purchase price of a vehicle, but on the depreciation.

If GM survives, then because of the new CAFE standards it may be forced to dump lots of high-MPG cars on the market to raise its corporate average. Thus, the historically higher rate of depreciation for GM cars is likely to continue or even get worse. OTOH, Honda has no worries about CAFE and doesn't have to offer big rebates or cheap financing all the time. So their resale values tend to be higher.

Hypothetical example: a car that cost $20k when new and loses $7k in value after five years and 100k miles, is cheaper than one which cost $16k and dropped $9k in value in the same period.

Normally I ignore resale values when I buy a car because the plan is to run it until its "done". For Brian here, with the amount of miles he puts on he might as well ignore resale value too. How much more is a Fit with 200K miles going to be worth than a Cobalt with 200k? $1k maybe? The time value of the money you save should cover that anyways.
I could've got a Cobalt out the door, taxes in for $14.5k Canadian, with AC, and a block heater, $600 more for side air bags and $600 more for ABS. So thats $11.5-12.5K US?
I don't know if Brian could've got that deal for a Cobalt and obviously he likes the Fit and Hondas so more power to him, I don't think I would've bought the same but if my wife insisted on a Fit I wouldn't mind to much either.

great looking little car. If I had the cash I'd buy one for sure. You can't go wrong with a Honda, esp. a 4-banger model!

resale for HONDAs is good for dealerships , but last we looked trade in value was equal to or slightly more than that of TOYOTAs , so not as much for the consumer .

IndyIanNormally I ignore resale values when I buy a car because the plan is to run it until its "done". For Brian here said:
As I said, I like the Cobalt as well but "Total Confidence" didn't leave me totally confident. Plus...yeah...I've kinda liked the Fit ever since it came out. More so when they revised it for 09. I've had great experience with my CR-V since buying it new in 02.

My fiancee is in the process of buying an 09 Fit Sport AT with 350 miles on it for $17k with tax. Reason being she's the second owner of this car. The story we were told is that it was a corporate car used by somebody who lost their job, and had to turn the car in. We're happy that somebody already took the bath on the destination charge and a little bit of depreciation.

Not a screaming deal, but she didn't get soaked, either. It's still cheaper than the AT MSRP before destination and tax, and cheaper than a new MT version.

Not quite the shade of blue she wanted either. It's that very light blue, almost a bluish-purple, that Honda uses. I'm not a fan, but hey, it's not flamingo pink or ticket-me red. Oh well. It's the only nit to pick with the car she's wanted for a while now. Just waited for the right deal to come along. This was good enough to get us to bite. Dealer didn't move at all on the price. Like I said, still an okay deal even at the price.

Eh, that's not a bad color....or deal. Another thought I had today....The engine is dead quiet on the highway. All you hear after 1st gear is road noise. Unless the thing drops 2 gears, you never realize it's downshifted unless you glance at the tach. Quite an accomplishment. My CR-V is much louder.

Oh, and as I just posted in the mpg thread, 35.1 out of the first tank. But I did some fun driving for the kids this weekend. The missed the "whee's" of the 9-5 and I was happy to oblige them. 42.8 after the fillup.

One other observation. New Honda smell. When we got our Odyssey back in February, there was an oily, weird smell from the exhaust for at least a couple of weeks. I'm assuming something somehwere for breakin or maybe just the new catalyst heating up? Anyway, with the Fit, I had the same smell...but it only lasted a couple of days. Wonder what that means?

it may be your exhaust manifold . Many are made of plastic these days . Both YARIS have plastic exhaust manifold and had the same smell when new. Still get it on the '08 sedan when climbing very steep hills and engine is under heavy strain . One time the smell was so strong through the vents into the cabin that I pulled the YARIS sedan off to the side of the road at the top of the hill to make sure no oil was leaking . Thought I had possibly left off the oil cap at the oil change not long before or had some kind of engine problem . Is a bit annoying and concerning . Would make you think oil had got onto exhaust pipe / manifold from oil leak or other problem that may occur under the hood and expecting the worse scenario when lifting the hood for viewing .

Last edited:
It's a oil that they use to pickle the manifold for storage until use.

When they replaced my Dad's 01 Civic motor, they had to use another manifold (they screwed up the orginal) and it stunk for a solid month. That is the reason they told us...

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back