Oil Filters...the good, the bad, and the awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I've seen several statements made on this forum to the effect that Fram oil filters should not be used. What is wrong with them? What oil filters do you all recommend and why?

After I had a fram filter fall apart on me when I had my s-10, I'll will not go back unless it is the only one there...

Frams are fine, they are just not the best value for your money.

A Purolator for the same cash is a better filter.

If your a Fram lover, enjoy using them.

A good Purolator and a 5 qt. jug of yellow bottle Pennzoil is the cheapest prescription for long engine life.

I've run Frams (cheap ones) for 100s of thousands of miles since 1950 and never had a problem. I became paranoid after joining BITOG and now use WIX & PureOnes. The Fram vehicles; Volvo, Jeep GC, Dodge Dart (225 cu in, AMC Concord and O-yes a 1950 Ford. The mileage ranged from 197,000 to 134,000? and never had to remove a pan or cyl head. Lucky I guess or Frams are not that bad and someone has to be the whipping boy. I do think you can buy a better constructed filter for the same or less money though.

My wife's 73 Buick (188,000 miles) seems to have the "OIL" light stay on for over five seconds when it first starts in the morning. I think that I used a Fram filter on it during the last oil change. Does this filter lack a check valve to prevent oil from draining back through the pump when the engine is turned off?

Amsoil EAO's all the way

They are built extremely well, stand up to many miles and are really cheaper in the long run because of the long service life.

They also offer an excellent flow rate while offering one of the best filtration ratings out there.

I run mine to 30K KM (18,750 Miles) without any issues.

With me,it`s OEM only. I`ve heard AC Delco filters are really good. From what I`ve read (on here and other forums) they have excellent flow and are one of the leaet restrictive.

I used Fram for years until I had an issue with start-up chatter on a Nissan pickup. Tried different oils, different weights....nothing helped. Then one day I was on the web and heard about Frams crummy ability to have a functioning anti-drainback valve. I decided to give a Purolator a try and "POOF" my issue was GONE! No more startup noise. Since then I've not used a Fram oil filter and never will. I like Purolator Premium Plus, Purolator Purone, Motorcraft, and some of the higher end stuff like K&N, Mobil 1, and Amsoil.
Just my opinion but I'd stay away from Fram.

AC/Delco? I don't think so now. I think they changed designs. Look in the hole and see if you see a perforated metal tube or a black plastic grid. I have a Super Tech that I cut apart last week, (with the plastic grid) and I believe it's the same manufacturer and design as the new Delco. If so, there is barely any room for oil to squeeze past the end-caps into the filtering area.

As for Fram, I've read they haven't made filters in several years. They were bought out and Allied Signal(?) makes them.
Anyway, they used to be pretty good. I hate them now.
Having gutted just about every major make, I like Purolator, Toyota OEM, and WIX (NAPA Gold). I used to use Mobil 1 Extended Performance, too. They are built very sturdy, but I don't think they filter quite as well as the old versions. I would still consider these though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
With me,it`s OEM only.

Just because you buy it at the dealer doesn't mean its the same manufacturer that made the filter that came on the car originally. Auto manufacturers contract little stuff and service items like filters out and re-negotiate the contracts every few years.

Better to pick a high quality name-brand FILTER manufacturer and stick with them, or else track who's making filters for your car manufacturer at any given time (and make sure you buy filters from the current lot and not the previous batch....

Fram makes 5 different filters sold in the US under the Fram brand name, and they make filters for OEMs and other brands.

The cheap Extra-Guard Fram filters are not very good quality, and as noted the anti-drainback valve is poor. Whether this makes a difference depends on your engine design to some extent.

The Fram Extended Guard oil filer with synthetic blend filter element, silicon anti-drainback valve, and more robust construction, is a very good filter. But it is not cheap.

The Fram Tough Guard is between these two, and is acceptable with a silicon anti-drainback valve.

They also make a high mileage filter (with chemical additives that go into your oil--not a good idea IMO), and a Racing Oil filter (only for limited applications).

http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php

Originally Posted By: scoobie
right now NAPA has a 60% off sale on GOLD filters: I just stocked up on 6, just cost me $20 - bargain!!!

Really? where in Ontario?

This thread has some of the few reports of a Fram failure I remember seeing. Mostly people object to the cardboard end caps, thrown together construction, and lack of filter media. Very few cars end their life do to engine failure, even those that never saw anything but Frams after the factory filter.

I haven't found an AC to fit my car or truck in years, but likely will be buying an AC cartridge at AAP next oil change on my Ecotec. In the past, I found them to be excellent filters. Now? Well, Purolators seem to be Botched up now too.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
With me,it`s OEM only...

Another vote for OEM. I can pick up a 10 pack of Toyota OF for $35, so for me it is hard to justfy anything else.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil EAO's all the way

They are built extremely well, stand up to many miles and are really cheaper in the long run because of the long service life.

They also offer an excellent flow rate while offering one of the best filtration ratings out there.

I run mine to 30K KM (18,750 Miles) without any issues.

Rather have a 100% synthetic micro glass filter for 15$, royal purple filter.

They are supposedly same design as donaldson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back