Quaker State Challenges Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/2232348/

Quote:
HOUSTON, March 20, 2009 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- PZL | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating -- Quaker State is calling for an end of the "Wear Wars" today by challenging its major motor oil competitors to a motor oil comparison. Quaker State has issued a challenge to Mobil 1, Valvoline and Castrol to show that no leading full synthetic SAE 5W-30 motor oil provides better wear protection in the ASTM Sequence IVA test than Quaker State Q HorsePower Full Synthetic -- not Castrol, not Valvoline, not Mobil 1.

"In recent months we have seen all of the claims going back and forth among the brands we have challenged in relation to their product's wear protection abilities via Industry's ASTM Sequence IVA test," said Steve Harman, President Americas, Quaker State. "This must be confusing to consumers. Today, if our competitors will only agree, we pledge to bring clarity to this 'Wear War,' by making public the scientific data that illustrates for consumers the actual wear result earned by each brand's chosen full synthetic motor oil."

Well, isn't this interesting. Everyone was so upset with Mobil for not responding to Valvoline and Castrol, what will they say when no one responds to this?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
If no one accepts the challenge, will QS still publish the data on their own oils?

If they don't, all 24K BITOG members should send them an email and demand it.

Originally Posted By: steve20
probably all but Mobil-1 will respond

steve

Why should they? Mobil has stayed above this foolishness so far.
Let the inferior competition shoot it out amoung themselves.

Mobil1 doesn't want to come out a loser, so they just don't play. The other products are not inferior. [censored], they are better.

Originally Posted By: steve20
probably all but Mobil-1 will respond

steve

Steve, you never fail to chime in on M1

"Mobil1 doesn't want to come out a loser, so they just don't play. The other products are not inferior. [censored], they are better. "

I won't speak to the quality of the products, because all it will do is spawn hundreds of posts full of conjecture.

But I respect Mobil 1 as a company staying away from this. It is foolish, and their money is better spent forming relationships with manufacturers and racing teams.

I can see why QS would do this, it's a clever tactic. But Mobil 1 continues to demand a premium over other oils, even similar quality ones, and that's the definition of successful marketing. Why would they mess with what (results wise) is the best marketing strategy of any oil?

EDIT: FWIW, I have amazingly never purchased a quart of M1 motor oil, though I have used the Mobil 5000. I'm a cost-driven user.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
TomNJ just posted this site on another thread. Good reading with a copy of the letter.

http://www.jobbersworld.com/March 20, 2009.htm

From the letter:

Quote:
To facilitate this, Quaker State now officially challenges your brands in the Sequence IVA test. We’ll even pay for it. We would be grateful if you could name one ILSAC GF-4, SAE 5W-30 full synthetic motor oils from your brands that is widely available across the US to take part in this challenge against our Quaker State Q HorsePower 5W30 full synthetic motor oil.

Being a M1 user myself, I would love to see XOM show this level of confidence in their 5W-30 (if they can).

According to Pennzoil's comments on the Seq IVa wear test, "there is no statistically significant difference for test results within 35 microns of each other." So if Castrol Edge scores 10 microns wear, every oil scoring under 45 microns would be considered statistically equal. Therefore, as long as Quaker State is confident that they are less than 45 microns wear, they are safe in their claim that "no leading full synthetic SAE 5W-30 motor oil provides better wear protection than Quaker State Q HorsePower".

That would not only shut up Valvoline and Castrol, but also form the basis for a powerful advertising campaign by Quaker State. Very clever.

Unfortunately for ExxonMobil, however, their Mobil 1 would remain the target of everyone's advertising, which has now been bumped into mainstream print. I think they have been called out too many times now to ignore it - they are going to have to go into defense soon, and I expect they will do it well.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back