Some drivers just hate cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've gleaned from 2 pages of replies is that some (many?) drivers think I'm the stupid one for riding my road bike on the > ROAD, whilst obeying all applicable traffic laws in the process. I must be punished (have things thrown at me, get yelled at, flipped off, 'squeezed', buzzed at 65mph+, etc.) for doing something so stupid and irresponsible.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
How many of you that say the majority of bicyclists are jerks do any serious road bike riding. just curious because I sense and underlying sense that you want to mow them down.......
27.gif

I drive vehicles and ride bikes on the street as well. I can fairly judge car drivers and bikers while on a bike and while driving a car.

No excuse for riding side by side........

If you are on a road bike you need to eat up miles by the tens of miles. Hard to do that on bike paths, too much obstacles, people and stops etc.

I've never been on a road bike in my life.

And I've come across a few cyclists who I wouldn't feel sorry for if they did get mowed down. Just like many people are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists. I always pass them safely though and move on.

I don't hate cyclists, and I don't love them either.
Mostly I laugh at the ones all gigged out in their pteranodon helmets and brightly colored tights with all the logos and stuff.
A bunch of them in a large group being antagonistic towards drivers and vice versa is not a good time, at least until the cops show up.

By the way, mori, I'm a proud and constant jaywalker(or sometimes Jayrunner) but I never pull ballet moves en route.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
By the way, mori, I'm a proud and constant jaywalker(or sometimes Jayrunner) but I never pull ballet moves en route.

The fact that you post here all the time tells me that it is very unlikely that you ever step out into multi-lane 45 mph traffic without looking, while drunk, high, or crazy like a sewer rat.
wink.gif

I appreciate those that respect bicyclists. It is just not cool to do things to them out of aggression. Just because there are stupid bike riders don't take it out on all of them. I think because anyone on a bike is more vulnerable than someone in a 4 wheeled vehicle or motorcyle they feel like they can get away with more.

I am like Wayne in that I try my hardest to be courteous and obey all rules and regs. But when you get POd drivers trying to buzz you it will rattle you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: MarkC

The fact that you post here all the time tells me that it is very unlikely that you ever step out into multi-lane 45 mph traffic without looking, while drunk, high, or crazy like a sewer rat.
wink.gif

True. I look very carefully before I do what I want....

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
What I've gleaned from 2 pages of replies is that some (many?) drivers think I'm the stupid one for riding my road bike on the > ROAD, whilst obeying all applicable traffic laws in the process. I must be punished (have things thrown at me, get yelled at, flipped off, 'squeezed', buzzed at 65mph+, etc.) for doing something so stupid and irresponsible.
mad.gif

It all comes down to the the dorks who like to buzz people on bikes. There some some people who ride bikes who are A holes, so they lump them all together. They probably never get their lazy behinds on a bike in the first place. So then they have no empathy towards a bicyclist. How can you have empathy when you don't know what it is like to have a 5000lb hulk of metal fly by you at by 2 or 3 ft at 60 MPH.
09.gif

An interesting social experiment would be putting an atv rifle case on the back of a bike or maybe have one of these over your shoulder.
kk1807.jpg

I suspect most of guys that think its funny to buzz cyclists know what's usually carried in them. They probably would think twice, who knows how crazy the guy on the bike is?

I'd guess you'd get some attention from the police but I doubt there's anything illegal about carrying a pool cue in a bag...

I’ve read this entire post and have a few comments and observations after 3 years of full time bike commuting:

• Drivers are under a lot of stress. It’s hard enough dealing with cars. When you throw a slower moving bike into the mix, it increases driver stress. This stress sometimes leads to anger.

• Mixing two modes of transportation does not work well. The best solution is providing physical separation. This can be done with a bike lane and flexible bollards. However, this is expensive. Painted lines are much cheaper.

• Drivers along my bike route are accustomed to cyclists. This familiarity has reduced their stress level and they are more accommodating and relaxed in my presence. Most of my bike commuting route has bike lanes or is on residential streets.

• Drivers lump bicycle commuters in with bike couriers that generally do not follow the rules of the road in part due to the time sensitive nature of their business. They sometimes feel that all cyclists are law breaking, 20-something fixters, who have a death wish.

• We are just like you. Our politics vary. I am a conservative who wears tights. I don’t feel entirely comfortable saying that or wearing them but they work really well. I am a father and a husband and I live next to you in suburbia. I drive an F150 4x4. I believe in God and love my country as much as anyone.

• I have seen bicycle commuters do very dumb things. I have seen drivers do very dumb things. I have done dumb things as a bicycle commuter and as a driver.

• Every bike commuter = 1 less car. This makes for less roadway congestion. It’s hard to think of this when a bike slows you down, but overall bike commuters have a positive impact on traffic congestion.

• Often, it is difficult to stay within the channelization of a bike lane. I am constantly dodging potholes and the doors of parked cars. As a result I hug the lane striping. I think a lot of drivers interpret this as me being a jerk. This is mostly a result of poor roadway design.

• Give bike commuters a break. They are working stiffs just like you trying to get to work.

• Give motorists a break. They are working stiffs just like you trying to get to work.

• Most people are jerks at some point, myself included.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
An interesting social experiment would be putting an atv rifle case on the back of a bike or maybe have one of these over your shoulder.
kk1807.jpg

I suspect most of guys that think its funny to buzz cyclists know what's usually carried in them. They probably would think twice, who knows how crazy the guy on the bike is?

I'd guess you'd get some attention from the police but I doubt there's anything illegal about carrying a pool cue in a bag...
HAHAHAHA!!!

I like the way you think...
04.gif

Originally Posted By: AHC
I’ve read this entire post and have a few comments and observations after 3 years of full time bike commuting:

• Drivers are under a lot of stress. It’s hard enough dealing with cars. When you throw a slower moving bike into the mix, it increases driver stress. This stress sometimes leads to anger.

• Mixing two modes of transportation does not work well. The best solution is providing physical separation. This can be done with a bike lane and flexible bollards. However, this is expensive. Painted lines are much cheaper.

• Drivers along my bike route are accustomed to cyclists. This familiarity has reduced their stress level and they are more accommodating and relaxed in my presence. Most of my bike commuting route has bike lanes or is on residential streets.

• Drivers lump bicycle commuters in with bike couriers that generally do not follow the rules of the road in part due to the time sensitive nature of their business. They sometimes feel that all cyclists are law breaking, 20-something fixters, who have a death wish.

• We are just like you. Our politics vary. I am a conservative who wears tights. I don’t feel entirely comfortable saying that or wearing them but they work really well. I am a father and a husband and I live next to you in suburbia. I drive an F150 4x4. I believe in God and love my country as much as anyone.

• I have seen bicycle commuters do very dumb things. I have seen drivers do very dumb things. I have done dumb things as a bicycle commuter and as a driver.

• Every bike commuter = 1 less car. This makes for less roadway congestion. It’s hard to think of this when a bike slows you down, but overall bike commuters have a positive impact on traffic congestion.

• Often, it is difficult to stay within the channelization of a bike lane. I am constantly dodging potholes and the doors of parked cars. As a result I hug the lane striping. I think a lot of drivers interpret this as me being a jerk. This is mostly a result of poor roadway design.

• Give bike commuters a break. They are working stiffs just like you trying to get to work.

• Give motorists a break. They are working stiffs just like you trying to get to work.

This gets my nomination for post of the year.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
kk1807.jpg

That thing would cause way too much wind resistance. I prefer wearing a S&W Model 29 with an 8-3/8" barrel, in plain sight on my left side.

Originally Posted By: AHC

01.gif

Ah you live where my Sister lives "Shoreline" Excellent post and observations! You mention bike lanes you can't ride in due to poor design, but also poor maintenance and not enough street sweeping.

I like the rifle carrier idea.........anything that gives the impression I can be crazier than someone else is OK with ME!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I need to find a cycling jersey with a picture on the back of Robert DeNiro from "Taxi Driver", where he's saying "You talking to me?"

On the front of the jersey, I would have the quote "Crazy people aren't afraid of anybody!"

There you go start printing them.......it is a pretty good idea.

You could start a new craze of biking jerseys. They could replace the oh so popular Tour De France outfits that a lot of road bikers are wearing.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
There you go start printing them.......it is a pretty good idea.

You could start a new craze of biking jerseys. They could replace the oh so popular Tour De France outfits that a lot of road bikers are wearing.

I want a Jersey that says:

BIKE COMMUTER
(NOT A TERRORIST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back