Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you like it? I like mine black and as thick as gear oil. I hate watery coffee. Where the beans originate doesn't matter, as long as they were roasted properly. I prefer Central and South American beans, but I'll go for a nice East African bean once in awhile.

Still working on buying a proper coffee pot that will extract the grinds properly. The good ones are expensive! I always grind the beans right before brewing, makes for better aromatics in the cup.

Anyone who thinks coffee is bad, go to WebMD and look it up. Sure, there's a few downsides, but there's also about 10 upsides to drinking coffee.

"Coffee is a rich source of disease-fighting antioxidants. And studies have shown that it may reduce cavities, boost athletic performance, improve moods, and stop headaches -- not to mention reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, liver cancer, gall stones, cirrhosis of the liver, and Parkinson's diseases."

No wonder all my grandparents lived so long. As proper Norwegians, they drank coffee by the gallon!

Well, I'm with you on loving coffee. I drink around 6-10 pot a day during the winter. As a matter of fact, I'm brewing a pot right now at 1:37 AM. I drink three different brands of coffee and two of them come from the Twin Cities, Dunn Bros and Caribou. The other I drink is Dunkin Donuts. I also grind my own beans and brew with a BUNN coffee maker, and I make it pretty stout. I will have to disagree with some of the findings on WebMD. I had gall stones and had them removed, and I have type 2 diabetes. So for the colon and liver are okay.

12.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, I'm with you on loving coffee. I drink around 6-10 pot a day during the winter. As a matter of fact, I'm brewing a pot right now at 1:37 AM. I drink three different brands of coffee and two of them come from the Twin Cities, Dunn Bros and Caribou. The other I drink is Dunkin Donuts. I also grind my own beans and brew with a BUNN coffee maker, and I make it pretty stout. I will have to disagree with some of the findings on WebMD. I had gall stones and had them removed, and I have type 2 diabetes. So for the colon and liver are okay.

12.gif

Thank you sir! I live about 1.5 blocks from the original Dunn Bros Coffee located at Snelling and Grand in St. Paul MN. That's where I get the beans for my daily fix. IMO Dunn Bros #1 Caribou #2, Starbucks doesn't even compete. I brought a cup of Dunn Bros coffee into work and poured samples for everyone, they were all like "D***, that's strong!" I said "No, that's how it's supposed to be!"

Edit: Man, Dunkin Donuts is solid as well. When I lived in Chicago the stores were all over the place, always good for a solid cup of coffee. I REALLY miss maple glazed donuts and DD coffee! No DD locations in the Twin Cities.

I order my beans direct from Dunkin on an automatic shipment. I also order beans from Caribou and a friend in Mpls brings me some Dunn Bros beans when he comes over this way on business. I believe he gets them from the store on Snelling. Setting here now drinking a cup of Caribou Day Break. Emmmmmmmm Good.

I called Caribou about two years ago and tried to talk them in to build a place over here in Wausau. They said the demographics showed Wausau would not support it. Now we have two Starbucks and they are always packed. I personally cannot stand Starbucks.

Last edited:
Prefer Arabica beans, not too darkly roasted, black non espresso type (long black, americano, whatever it is called these days).

My extra robust roast espresso days are over when the chiropractor told me the caffine was locking my back up and I'm on smaller doses.

Yep - love coffee! Drink 9-12 cups by 9am every day.

Dunkin Donuts original, Columbian, French Roast and Cafe Du Monde http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee.html
is an incredibly good different type that is thick and tastes great. I highly recommend trying Cafe Du Monde!

We also grind the beans just before use, but we switched from a brewing machine (Bunn) over to several French coffee presses. Now we always have a few stray grounds in the bottom of our cups, but we don't have to be concerned any longer about bacteria breeding inside the machines. This method is fast, too.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
How do you like it? I like mine black and as thick as gear oil.

^^Right On Acura! That`s the way I like mine too
11.gif

I LOVE coffee!!!!!! I live on the stuff. I`ve been drinking it since I was a little kid,yum! I also grew up on instant coffee and still prefer it to the fresh. Taster`s Choice dark roast is my fave!

Last edited:
I hate coffee that tastes like dirty water . A generous amount of finely ground dark roasted beans per cup is always a good start to get a cup of coffee worth enjoying. It is the little pleasures that make life truely worth living. A Melitta cone and filters using a Kettle with a whistle in the cap that alerts you when the water boils is the manley way to make a cup of coffee unless espresso is needed.

I use a percolator for mine because that's what my grandmother used. It tastes better that way, IMO.

I take it black. I don't really care about brand as long as it's fresh and isn't flavored.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

And that crawp called Timmies. Just can't get enough.

I hear that. There's always a big can of Tim Horton's fine grind at the house. For substitutes, #2 would be Eight O'Clock Columbian (brown bag), #3 Dunkin Donuts. We make it fairly strong. 6 scoops per pot. I only enjoy it black.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back