Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care for coffee unless it's freshly ground quality coffee.

World Market has an Italian Expresso that's pretty good. When I go to the city I might pick up a bag once or twice a year. For everyday coffee I like Java Trading Company's Expresso Jet City. I usually purchase it from Amazon.com-a 5 pound bag lasts around a month, is less than $30, and is delivered right to my front door.

If I really want a great cup I'll grind some coffee and use my single cup french press, but I usually use a Melitta coffee maker to grind/brew.

I've been nodding the whole way down the thread. I'm a Dunkin Donuts man myself. I love the store stuff with cream and sugar. But because of the global recession, my wife and I decided to use some Christmas money and buy a Bunn and focus on keeping the $9 a weekend we were spending on DD and make it at home. Sadly, it just isn't the same as the store. Good, but not the same.

I'm a cream and sugar guy. As I used to say when I was younger, I like my coffee like I like my women, sweet and blonde. :)

Originally Posted By: Johnny
.....I called Caribou about two years ago and tried to talk them in to build a place over here in Wausau. They said the demographics showed Wausau would not support it. Now we have two Starbucks and they are always packed. I personally cannot stand Starbucks.

If that's the case, you may see Caribou moving in soon. At least that's how it worked in my neck of the woods, first Starbucks moved in and then when it looked like the market was saturated, along came Caribou.

I will be the outcast here and say that I use Folger's pre-ground in the big tub. I love coffee and for a long time I thought that a good cup of coffee could only be made with some super fancy high dollar bean. I spent hundreds if not thousands a year on Kona, jamaican pea berry, blue mountain and all other manner of boutique coffee.

Much like BITOG led me to the realization that I didn't need boutique oil to get great wear numbers, a happenstance "white elephant" Christmas party gift led me to the realization that it's not which coffe you make, but how you make it. I got a Bialetti stove-top perculator that made one cup. I put in my Kona coffe that i was drinking at the time and WOW it knocked my socks off! it was so smooth, strong, rich and not at all bitter like my previous attempts to make very strong coffee with the exact same coffe. I eventaully tried lower and lower grade coffee and realized that I could have great tasting coffee without spending major $$$. I like my homebrewed coffee better than just about any instore cup I've had.

Folger's Gourmet selection's Black Silk; I take it Black and percolated!

I love coffee - but to me its just like beer only opposite..does that make sense? Any hot cup of java and any cold brewski tastes good to me.

BTW I can't wait to try out the coffee grinder that my wife got for Christmas, maybe it will take my tastes to a new level. Luckily we have plenty of DD beans to grind up.

I buy green beans and roast them myself. it's a little time consuming but it's a nice stress relief.

I make my coffee as follows:
- grind the beans in a Turkish mill (http://natashascafe.com/html/mills.html)
- boils some water;
- put some ground coffee in a mug and add the boiled water;
- leave for a couple of minutes and then warm up in a microwave.

The coffee grounds are left in the cup but they go to the bottom.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
BTW I can't wait to try out the coffee grinder that my wife got for Christmas, maybe it will take my tastes to a new level. Luckily we have plenty of DD beans to grind up.

For best tasting coffee, grind only for immediate use as ground coffee lose flavour very quick after grind process.

Best is < 1-2 hours after grind.

Don't laugh....

but someone here on BITOG once mentioned that Burger King coffee is very delicious. The guy even went as far as calling BK corporate office to find out the company that that supply BK ther coffee and BK declined to give him the info.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Don't laugh....

but someone here on BITOG once mentioned that Burger King coffee is very delicious. The guy even went as far as calling BK corporate office to find out the company that that supply BK ther coffee and BK declined to give him the info.

It wasn't me but I will second the BK Joe. Very good stuff.
Just make sure you like chocolate because it has a definite mocha flavor.

I'll throw out another unusual one. Best cheap coffee - Sam's Choice Arabica (red can) sold at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Don't laugh....

It wasn't me but I will second the BK Joe. Very good stuff.
Just make sure you like chocolate because it has a definite mocha flavor.

I'll throw out another unusual one. Best cheap coffee - Sam's Choice Arabica (red can) sold at Walmart.

I just saw the Sam's Choice Arabica (red can) at Walmart today. It's only $2.12 a can.

I picked up Eight O' Clock 100% Columbian for the 1st time ever today for ~$4 something. Heard it's pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Eight O'Clock is hard to beat for the $$.

I agree, and Wal-Mart has very fresh bags for $3.92(12 oz). I buy the whole bean and grind my own. Have had several compliments when served to friends who had no idea of what was served. They were pleasantly surprised.

Coffee is one of the most sprayed crops. I'd stick with certified organic beans if I were to drink it regularly. I'd also advise the use of unbleached or reusable metal filters.

Don't laugh....

Me 3rd, they are using Farmer's Brother's bean and I've had that at work, much better than Starbucks.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Eight O'Clock is hard to beat for the $$.

thumbsup2.gif

Johnny - I never cared for the Bunn coffee makers. We used one at work like the picture you posted and I never cared for the way they kept the water hot all the time. Great for a fast brew. I use a Cuisinart Brew Central and their mill type grinder. I have thought about getting a hand grinder but never did.

I am always amazed at how everybody hates Starbucks(Charbucks), but I will stick my neck out and say I like them. I buy their whole bean Italian Roast a lot. So many people bash them that you wonder how they can have so many stores and stay in business.

For fast food, I think CR picked Mcd's, BK Turbo Joe over Starbucks a few months back, but they never identified which Starbucks they tested. Since SB are always changing coffee varieties, I wonder which one they tested. When I ask for Turbo Joe at BK they look at me like I'm crazy. I tried DD whole bean, and was amazed at how many quakers they had....(white or light beans, which are foul tasting), but I think they use Millstone now? When McD's first came out with their stronger coffee, I thought it tasted like the plastic lid.

CR just did a coffee review, and picked three as VG - Eight O'Clock, Caribou, and Kickapoo; all Columbian. G was Starbucks. DD was top decaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back