By pass filter with 3/4-16 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked and looked through both the baldwin, donaldson, and wix filter catalogs, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm trying to make my own bypass setup and would like to be able to use the ubiquitous FL400S / FL1A can size and remote mount with a flow restrictor. Has anybody seen a filter in this can/thread that has by-pass like specs (maybe a hydralic filter) with a really good beta ratio, nominal, or absolute micron rating?

Since you're going to be remote mounting it, you can just get:

Part Number: 24755
UPC Number: 765809247550
Principal Application: By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines. (51050, 51051 or 51320 May be Used)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base
Service: Base
Note: Lube Filter Conversion Kits By-Pass Filter For Small Gas And Diesel Engines

Large Gas and Diesel engine equipped with cartridge type by-pass filters can be converted to the convenience of a spin-on with this kit. The kit may also be used to add-on supplemental by-pass filtration to provide increased engine protection. A choice of three different sized filters are available.

It's a 5/8-18 thread. There's a few from Donaldson in that thread.

I didn't see any, but you can try the attribute search on Donaldson. Just select "lube filters" and enter bypass for the product description ..and all the instances of 3/4-16 (or whatever thread you desire). There are 4 different ways to say 3/4-16.

Thanks for the reply Gary (I knew I'd get one), the reason I want to use the FL1A/PH8 style mount is because I also want to keep initial cost down. I already have two of these bases that I basically got for free. I want two more so that I can have bypass filtration on both cars, engine and trans. I have a long term plan and goal (as far as what I want to accomplish with extra filtration) already laid out, but I'm simply trying to overcome the hurdle of finding a good BP filter that's compatible with these heads. Any sub micronic hydraulic filters?

If I restrict the flow rate down substantially (theoretically increasing the media's chances of trapping dirt/debris) could I run a FF filter that's plumbed like a bypass (from an oil galley or "t'd" off of the pressure sending unit)? Is there an FL1A or FL400 sized FF filter that offers a very high beta ratio or 10um absolute filtraion?

There's a 3/4-16 thread bypass filter by WIX ..but it's rated like a full flow. It's fatter and a bit longer than the FL1A size ...but the gasket is in the right range. You'll need to restrict it as you said.

Part Number: 51641
UPC Number: 765809516410
Principal Application: Nissan UD Trucks
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 6.601
Outer Diameter Top: 4.276
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Burst Pressure-PSI: 345
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 12

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

There are plenty of spin-on hydraulics that get very low in the micron ratings. They're different threads ..so you're looking at a different mount ..and they're more expensive.

If you're going that route, a BP80A mount for $15.xx and a EaBp90 runs about $50+/-.

I came up with that same filter, but wasn't all that impressed with the Nominal micron rating. How would this filter compare to just sticking an amsoil EAO15 on the filter head and just having two full flow filters?

Is restricting the flow to a full flow filter that has a bypass counter productive? Would it filter better if the flow is slower?

I think that nominal micron rating would change @ 1 gpm. I'd email Wix and ask if they have any more data on it. That's an unusual capability for any bypass filter (7-9 gpm).

If you restrict the flow on either end of a full flow, you'll never produce the PSID required to open the bypass ..except maybe when real cold (still highly unlikely) with upstream restriction since you're draining into a zero pressure return. Just keep in mind that even very small diameter lines can move a decent amount of fluid when warm.

Reduced velocity through the media will improve the capture ratio. The amount is uncertain and there will probably be a reduced rate of return as you go slower or bigger with the filter.

Where this (the Wix filter) may work best is with a Permacool sandwich adapter. Then the max flow will go through it ..and the poppet on the Permacool will shunt or bypass any required flow.

That filter isn't on fleetfilter's list. I'd contact them to see what they'll sell it to you for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back