restore with csl

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you look at restore before you pour it in, it has little pieces of something in it...must be the "CSL"?

I have used it before, but now-a-days I am not into oil additives as much

CSL = 'Copper, Silver, Lead'

Restore does have solid, soft metal particles in it, that's what it uses to 'fill in' imperfections in the cylinder walls, so yeah, you will see some particles around when using it.

Apparently, this stuff DOES work well on old engines that are almost beyond help...only place it is really worth trying. Your engine almost dead?

There are alot of stories of people that used this stuff and noticed a real improvement. I used to add it to a warm engine then take a long (50-100mi) trip, then park the car overnight. The next day you could feel the difference for sure. Re-apply every 10-20K or thereabouts. My cars now don't need it, but if I ever have another car with poor compression, it's CSL all the way. And, yes, the difference has been proven with compression tests.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Restore does have solid, soft metal particles in it, that's what it uses to 'fill in' imperfections in the cylinder walls, so yeah, you will see some particles around when using it.

Apparently, this stuff DOES work well on old engines that are almost beyond help...only place it is really worth trying. Your engine almost dead?
Well its running good but the last owner pinged the head gasket to death and never changed the oil. ive been changing the oil filter every 1000 miles with penzoil platinum. I cut open my last four oil filters and they were packed with carbon and dirt. If theres so much dirt and grime in my filter, then some must be getting past the filter right? Although if it were getting past the oil filter it would take out my turbo first correct?

Originally Posted By: slammin240tic
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Well its running good but the last owner pinged the head gasket to death and never changed the oil. ive been changing the oil filter every 1000 miles with penzoil platinum. I cut open my last four oil filters and they were packed with carbon and dirt. If theres so much dirt and grime in my filter, then some must be getting past the filter right? Although if it were getting past the oil filter it would take out my turbo first correct?

There might be some getting past but I would think the oil filter is getting the majority of ii. I could see it taking out your turbo if the dirt and grime that is in the filter was getting past it but since it is in the filter I would like to think its not getting past it.

Should i use a oil additive to speed cleanup? or just keep changing my filter and adding penzoil platinum? also what filter should i run im using a napa nascar spin flow are they good filters? it only cost $3.99.

As far as I know, NAPA filters are made by WIX...WIX makes good filters.

I would substitute a QT of Rislone in with the PP if it is really that dirty...it might help in cleaning & loosening up the trash.

The filter cannot filter out these small CSL particles since most of these particles are spheres smaller than 10 um in diameter.

Last edited:
I would first go the auto-rx route (maybe 2 rounds) and get things good and clean, at least in the area of the piston rings. If the compression is still lacking and you don't want to repair/rebuild, then the CSL stuff might give you a boost on cylinder sealing at that point. I have also found that for some reason, Maxlife engine oil (high mileage Valvoline in the red bottles) works well in engines with these issues. I would use it AFTER the Auto-rx cycle is completed.

As far as just PP by itself, it may do some light cleaning that may or may not help your compression. Auto-rx will clean more deeply based on my experiences with it. Run the engine harder at times, and get it good and hot while doing ARX cycles. This should help it to clean more thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back