Rotella t in Mazda Speed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Shell Rotella t 5w40 safe for gas turbo engines. I read somewhere that it could hurt catalitic converters.
I want to start using a 5w 40 and can't find local any other brand that has it in stock. I also read this is a great oil.

I know I have asked before about it, but a lot of people are recommending a 5w40 or 10w40 for this 2.3 turbo direct injected engine...Some are saying only 5w30 works best.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you want to use 5W-40 in this engine?

I've been using Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 in my Mazdaspeed 6 since I bought it and have had excellent results.

Some folks have experienced 'smoking' with the 2.3 DISI, resulting from bad turbo seals but most of them experience it after modifying the exaust. Some claim bumping to 5W-40 reduced or eliminated it. But if you're not having a problem, I suggest sticking with the factory recommended oil.

"SAFE?" Sure: why not? In SUNNY Florida I wouldn't be worrying about cold starts, either!

Great oil, but I've never seen it on sale, though...

Cheers!

40w for protection. I heard that 30 was more for cafe regulations. I could be wrong. I am no oil expert.. I run 5w30 PP in my Suburban and it's great for long intervals.
I currently run 5w30 Motocraft syn blend in the Mazda.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

It was $20/gallon last time I saw it at AutoZone. Not sure if that's a sale price, but not a bad price regardless.

Me, neither. Bought 15 gallons yesterday at $19.?? each from the evil empire and $19.99 each at Checker. Cleaned all 3 stores out to get that much.

After spending half my life in and around the trucking industry, and the other half tinkering around with vehicles of all kinds, I really like mixed fleet diesel engine oils. I personally like Rotella 5-40 a lot and run it in several different applications. It is a very good product and would be great in your speed3. Unless you are still under warranty, then you should stick to the weight in the owners manual. Then make the switch. As far as hurting the cats---the current CJ4 formula is fine. You would have to have a lot of oil burning over a significant time for it to have any effect on the cats. But then just about any other oil could do the same thing anyway. I wouldn't even hesitate to run RTS CI4+ 5-40 in it, but it is so hard to find anymore anyway. If I had to pick one oil and only one oil to run everything from motorcycles to motor homes to cars to tractors, no matter whether is is diesel, gas, or turbo, it would be Rotella 5-40.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

Me, neither. Bought 15 gallons yesterday at $19.?? each from the evil empire and $19.99 each at Checker. Cleaned all 3 stores out to get that much.

You would have loved the deal my local Sam's Club had back in August. They were clearing out their stock of RTS 5w-40 by initially reducing the case (3 - 1 gallon jugs) price to $27.?? and eventually blowing it out at $19.?? a case.
Needless to say, I took advantage of that deal.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

Some folks have experienced 'smoking' with the 2.3 DISI, resulting from bad turbo seals but most of them experience it after modifying the exaust. Some claim bumping to 5W-40 reduced or eliminated it. But if you're not having a problem, I suggest sticking with the factory recommended oil.

My dead stock Mazdaspeed 3 started smoking heavily at idle after less than 26,000 miles(the LF strut died @1000 miles earlier). I run M1 5W-30, but I don't think oil is the issue. Now I'm waiting for a transmission synchro to go south, a motor mount to break, or an oil leak to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back