Modern Substitute for Type A ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '64 Ford Galaxie with the earliest of the C4 transmissions. It calls for Type A ATF. Can Dexron/Mercon be substituted?

BTW, on this car I also deal with the flat tappet ZPPD additive issue. My solution is oil changes with Chevron Delo 15W40 and a half a bottle of Comp Cams break in lube. The solution I wanted to use was to convert to a roller cam when I rebuilt the engine, but the expense was overwhelming.

Thanks for your help,
Doc

Most of the smaller auto parts stores around me (Napa, Parts Plus, even Ace Hardware) still sell type A fluid. I would recomend looking around some more.

Type A superceded to Dexron. I would use one of the fluids labeled "suitable for use were Dexron/Mercon is required" (or similar wording). I've never seen Type A in any stores.

I see type in some gas stations where clunkers go to fill their fuel tanks. Not far from the Type A ATF is non-detergent engine oil or API SF oil.

That in mind, you would still be better off buying some Dexron or Mercon.

Ford quit licensing Mercon, and said to use Mercon V wherever Mercon was required.

Most C4's used type F ATF.

Someone on the board had an ATF chart from Ford that showed the various type requirements verses year. Maybe do a search?

Last edited:
Go to Napa and buy "Type FA" fluid. It comes in a black bottle with a black cap. DO NOT USE MERCON FLUID. It is very different from Type F/Type A. Type F and A however, are so similar they are basically the same, just like Dexron/Mercon. Hence the "Type FA."

Has this transmission ever been rebuilt or modded?
If so, you're pretty much immune to the type of ATF you use.

If not, use a type-F ATF. An unmodded transmission might slip shift a little too much in an old worn stock transmission.

Hi Bruce,

Are you trying to figure out how old I am? Naughty!

Let me tell you where I am going with this. I have friction curves for TASA and Type F and they are TOTALLY different. So one fluid cannot truly cover both applications as they were originally defined. That is why I referred to MB 236.2 for a TASA fluid because they have an OEM approval attached to them. As far as I know the only type F fluid that can be relied on to
be as it was originally approved is the Motorcraft product.

Hi again, Bruce.

To explain; the Type A specification was introduced in 1949, and, as far as I know, was the first ATF specification. That was superceded in 1959 by Type A Suffix A. I'd have to look to say exactly what the differences were. What I do know is that Type A Suffix A and Ford Type F are definitely not the same in terms of friction characteristic.

I’m resurrecting this thread & wanted to ask about why you think that a rebuilt trans is immune from ATF recommendations? I have a Ford C6 which was rebuilt and filled with Dexron by the builder. I’ve never been comfortable with that, but the tranny shifts and operates great. I'd like to replace my ATF this winter & am not sure how to proceed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYBob
I’m resurrecting this thread & wanted to ask about why you think that a rebuilt trans is immune from ATF recommendations? I have a Ford C6 which was rebuilt and filled with Dexron by the builder. I’ve never been comfortable with that, but the tranny shifts and operates great. I'd like to replace my ATF this winter & am not sure how to proceed.

The C6 fluid specification changed from type F to CJ in about 1977. I remember when it happened, but the date is fuzzy. What is significant is that there was a TSB explaining that factory fill late in that model year was CJ but type F was specified for service replacement so that the entire year was consistent.

CJ evolved into Mercon.

I'll also add that many independent trans shops back in the 70s and 80s used Dexron in everything, including Fords that specified type F.

If your trans has been running fine on Dexron / Mercon, that is what I would continue to use.

Thanks, I had written to Royal Purple & they responded with a similar recommendation. Just to be safe, I'm going to get the ATF analyzed to see if there has been any damage. If not, I would like to continue with Dexron & move to a synthetic if that is possible. By the way, The transmission is out of a 1969 Mustang, I had the C6 rebuilt 2 years ago & there is about 1500 miles on the tranny. How many miles do you think I should have on the trans before switching to Synthetic (if at all)?

Last edited:
It will not matter.

By the way, GM no longer licenses Dexron III and Ford no longer licenses Mercon. You can find current fluids that are "for use where Dexron III/Mercon are specified" and they are probably close enough.

Ford now says that Mercon V is specified where Mercon had been in the past. Mercon V is at least a semi-synthetic. GM now specifies Mercon VI where Dexron III had been specified FOR THEIR CARS.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim
It will not matter.

By the way, GM no longer licenses Dexron III and Ford no longer licenses Mercon. You can find current fluids that are "for use where Dexron III/Mercon are specified" and they are probably close enough.

Ford now says that Mercon V is specified where Mercon had been in the past. Mercon V is at least a semi-synthetic. GM now specifies Mercon VI where Dexron III had been specified FOR THEIR CARS.

Hmm, so I should use Mercon V (or VI) for my tranny flush/change or is there a better substitute such as Royal Purple Max-ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back