Maryland MVA Uninsured Motorist Complaint Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy that hit my car does not have any auto insurance. He had MAFE which is a state run insurance for the worst drivers and cost something like over $2000.00 a year, it may be more.

This upstanding individual has not had car insurance since 2006, so I am going to fill out this form, if you do not have car insurance, at least have the sense to drive reasonably and not hit someone.

I think in Maryland and some other states they fine you $5.00 a day for not having insurance. So if I do the math, 730 days times $5.00 equals $3650.00

The form says, If the vehicle in question is uninsured, suspension action may be taken against the owner's driving and registration privileges in accordance with Maryland's compulsory insurance laws.

I remember this guy in Maryland who was in this same situation and he had to drive someones old beat up car and just paid the guy for the registration and tags.

My insurance company AIG is not going to do this, so I have to do this, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Which one? Original 1,2 or 3?
grin2.gif
Seriously though, C3, what's the bottom line on this? You pay your ~$250 and your vehicle gets fixed, correct? Option 2 is you've got neck/back problems now (wink...wink) and you employ the legal services of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe to see what you can get out of this uninsured guy.

Joel

I should have posted this in the original thread, sorry.

I pay $250.00 and my car gets fixed.

At least the guy that hit me has his whole front end smashed up, since he does not have insurance he will either pay to get it fixed or just drive it the way it is. Of course it is hard to drive at night with no headlights.

I am not playing the injury game because my insurance is paying for the car to get fixed.

For a $250 issue, Id never get my insurance involved, regardless.

My wife's cousin is a cop. He outright stated that in any accident, youre injured. If not, youll be screwed. My car was destroyed by a way underinsured driver, and I was honest. Guess who got pennies on the dollar?

Unfortunately the "Lawyer's Monopoly" makes it such that you have to be dishonest and play their game to be made to at least some approximation of "whole".

Hello Car 54, the deductible for the uninsured motorist coverage is $250.00

There is $3000.00 worth of damage to the car, I just have to pay the $250.00 part.

Had this happen in OH years ago before they yanked licenses for driving w/out insurance, got took for about $1200-I'd do whatever it took to be sure that the guy got insurance-if you can't afford insurance, you shouldn't be driving, PERIOD!!!

Are you saying that they will probably yank this guys drivers license for not having insurance, I mean he has been driving without insurance for 2 years.

I also feel like sending a letter to the MVA Medical Advisory Board, theres something wrong with this guy, I am sitting at a stop light and here brakes screeching and he hits me, the guy is 43 years old. The lonly time I rearended somebody when I was 18 years old with only 2 years of driving experience.

It is actually MAIF, not MAFE. Lived in MD for 37 years. Man, I don't miss the "free state" or was that "tax state"....

Originally Posted By: c3po
Sorry about that, since I never had MAIF, I dont know how to spell it.

Oh, no need to apologize - I was just clarifying. It stands for Maryland Auto Insurance Fund and you're correct that it is really expensive. I remember having an accident and dealing with Maif was a nightmare. Actually ended up having my ins co pay to get me back on the road while they went after Maif for payment.

Good luck with everything, it will come out ok in the end.

a bit off topic, I got in a wreck about 7 years ago from a guy who barely had insurance. Their company never paid. It was his fault, he rear-ended me as I was waiting for a light. I was out $500 to repair my own vehicle.
mad.gif

AIG was my ins co. They did NOTHING. I dropped them. I couldn't believe how "saving money" on my car insurace would me so dearly with my time and frustration. That's when a friend told me about Farm Bureau-underwritten insurance. THAT'S when I started saving real $$$ and seeing real customer service.

AIG was of no help. Their customer service was like calling HP for support on a $50 printer.

ToyotaSaturn, you are not off topic, but when my insurance renewal is up I think that I may go with another insurance company.

Unless they go after this guy and take him too court, I cannot see them sending $3000.00 or more to a collection agency.

You can take their driver's license away but the only way to stop them from driving is to put them in jail. (Which is usually what happens to you in Virginia if you're caught driving with a suspended license).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back