Wheel bearing noise only in really cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Chevy Tracker and on really cold days I get a fairly high pitched noise from the front drivetrain. Not a grinding but pitched a bit lower than a cop car siren. It goes away after 1/2 a mile so I think the problem is "cured" once things warm up slightly.
There is also lots of friction as sometimes I need to use 4wd to go up the hill on the drive way as the back tires don't have enough grip to over come the front axle friction when driving on snow.
Any chance they spec'd grease to thick for -20C? The wheel bearings seem perfect otherwise, no play or sounds and only 60,000 miles on them. Another fellow with an 03 tracker has the same issues, dealer was useless of course.
Ian

I really doubt the noise lies with the wheel bearing, its grease, or even the seals. If either one of these components resulted in noticeable friction, the bearing would be toast in short order.

I'm guessing the problem lies with the primary braking system (rotors, calipers, pads) or the emergency brakes.

Thanks! I didn't think to search TSB's, I haven't had any luck finding the actual TSB online but I'll stop at the dealer and see if they will print me a copy.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back