ARX - why it IS the miracle fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I just completed my second ARX application/rinse. I don't know that there are enough superlatives I can find to express how pleased I am with the performance of ARX.

For those who don't know my story, read the whole thing here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1128803&fpart=1

But if you want a synopsis, I'll provide this:
1997 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan; heavily coked piston rings. Very poor compression. There were two treatments of ARX application/rinse. First was an "experiment" with Frank and Gary; second was a "traditional" treatment. The initial test was 2x the dose for 1k miles, followed by a 2k mile rinse. The second application was at 90k miles with 2.5k miles application and 2.5k miles rinse.

The final result?????
ALL CYLINDERS ARE NOW AT FULL COMPRESSION! The last lagging cylinder (#5) is now up over 180psi in yesterday's compression test, along with all the rest. The following is a recap of the compression in psi, with each reading taken at the beginning of the event.

event.....2app..rns...1app..rns.....final check
milage....87k...88k...90K...92.5k...95k
cyl 1:.....170...180...180...180.....180
cyl 2:.....170...180...180...180.....180
cyl 3:.....165...180...180...180.....180
cyl 4:.....120...180...180...180.....180
cyl 5:.....110...150...160...170.....180
cyl 6:.....180...180...180...180.....180

The ARX product flat works. Period. While it cannot reconstruct worn metal, it sure can do nearly anything related to byproduct contamination.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't take the pistons out for pictures of the coking, and then reinstall them and run the ARX. On the bright side, I didn't have to, because the ARX did all the work for me!!! And that's the whole point, isn't it? Why tear down an engine to repair the cumulative effects of combustion byproducts when ARX can do it for you!

Frank, your product is beyond any competition in the market, and it deserves all the praise it garners.

Last edited:
Well that is certainly some data that supports ARX in your application. I have a Vulcan, but am not going to try to take compression readings as it is wedged into an Aerostar body and very hard to reach the plugs.

Mine runs strong, though weak overall on power which I believe is inherent in the 3.0 V6 being put into vehicles too large for it. I do get a lot of consumption which puzzles me as it should correspond to power loss if the rings were coked. If any engine should coke (other than a turbo engine) the Aerostar would be near the top as it runs hot hot hot in that tiny engine bay.

So did you have oil consumption and did it go down with the treatments?

Did your fuel mileage improve with the treatments?

I did have oil consumption issues, but not large. I believe it's too early to be conclusive, but I highly suspect that consumption will go down.

It's also reasonable to expect that from beginning to end, I'll see some type of fuel economy increase as well, but I'm not diligent about tracking it, so it would be a "guestimate" on my part.

I had consumption issues in my 91 ranger with the 3.0L Vulcan. Sometimes it was 1quart every 1000 miles. I can't remember if i ever auto-rx'd it. I might have used the maintenance dose in it. I figured for 230K+ it could burn some oil.

When I bought the Aerostar I had the compression tested. The shop only did one cylinder, as it was easy to get to. Compression was 130 and that with only 27,000 miles on the van. They told me that if the others were significantly different the thing would not run smoothly, but it did. Actualy the books I have looked in say compression anywhere from 130 to 180 is fine, so long as no cylinder varys much from that. Still, your 180 has got to be putting out more power. It seems to support my orignal theory that the thing was not properly broken in and so the rings never seated right. Maybe it's time for the Bon Ami powder into the intake treatment?
15.gif

At any rate, if it is that the rings never properly seated, then I don't know that ARX would help.

I have enough confidence to pour 1 1/2 bottle0s into my BMW and know it can only help. I'm guesing it fixed VANOS rattle (no noise) and helped conmpression. This is a very well kept BW and I knew it might help a bit but I'm gob smacked what it did. Early stages in rinse phase but oil dirty and no VANOS rattle. What more can you ask for??

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
At any rate, if it is that the rings never properly seated, then I don't know that ARX would help.

How do you know if the ring is not properly seated. Is it just your theory or facts?

It looks like that AutoRX helps. Not every users need to prove it.
There is nothing to lose except for some money that is cheaper than a new car or an engine tear down.

Just my thought.

This engine had a fuel dilution problem Dyson Oil Analysis compliments D Newton Post in many ways.

Auto-Rx Maintenance Dose with Extended Drain

The test vehicle is a 1992 Ford Explorer Sport, with a 4.0 liter single overhead cam V-6. Important to note that a cleaning and rinse with Auto-Rx was performed prior to the test.

Next, a short run on Mobil 1SUV/ 5w 30 was performed to establish the norm of this particular motor. This run on Mobil 1 was for only 1434 miles, but was sufficient to point out a couple issues that needed to be corrected. The analysis revealed that fuel dilution was the biggest issue and contributing to high copper readings, from bushing wear. Also, even though the air filter had been changed out only 8000 miles ago dirt ingress was an issue. Prior to starting the Auto-Rx Maintenance dose, with Pennzoil Platinum, new plugs, wires, PCV valve were installed. A new air filter was installed half way through the maintenance dose run which was for 6101 miles.

Despite the tune up parts, the motor still suffers from a fuel dilution problem, although greatly improved. When looking at the numbers bear in mind that the second run with the maintenance dose (3 fluid oz.) was run for a duration of 4.25 times the mileage as compared to the control.

The combination of Pennzoil Platinum and Auto-Rx shows exceptionally low wear metals, with the exception of copper, which is still due to fuel dilution. It is very likely, that the maintenance dose is providing addition protection of the cylinders and bearings. It is also important to note that the additive package of the Pennzoil Platinum is not compromised at all with the Auto-Rx maintenance dose, in fact may be somewhat preserved. Slightly elevated oxidation readings would indicate that the maintenance dose is doing some additional cleaning.

If not for the fuel dilution issue this oil would be very healthy after 6101 miles and would have service life left. Without a doubt Auto-Rx is fully compatible with this Group III synthetic oil

Look at the PDF file from D Y S O N A N A L Y S I S to read Dyson Oil Analysis click on this post on Auto-Rx Home Page.

Why not properly fix the fuel dilution problem instead of using additives to somewhat band-aid the issue???? Copper still remains high, so arx is just a partial band-aid here, at best.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Why not properly fix the fuel dilution problem instead of using additives to somewhat band-aid the issue???? Copper still remains high, so arx is just a partial band-aid here, at best.

Fuel dilution in older engines is often because of coked up rings, which is something that Auto-RX can fix.

Originally Posted By: qship1996

I say why not fix it and then re-test the item..Not the best marketing scheme here.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Fuel dliution became apparent after results of Dyson Oil Analysis.
Customer had this problem fixed. Auto-Rx did it,s part as post points out.

Frank,

That report is about two years old now. Any further testing or recent updates with how this vehicle is performing today?

I know another member here that was banned for asking that...Geee, this is sad when you cannot ASK things...

Jeez, I hope that's not true. I've been an A-Rx fanboy for almost three years and remember when Frank posted those encouraging results. Plus, I just started maint doses on a new vehicle that I'll probably keep forever.

... I do get a lot of consumption which puzzles me as it should correspond to power loss if the rings were coked. If any engine should coke (other than a turbo engine) the Aerostar would be near the top as it runs hot hot hot in that tiny engine bay.

It sounds like the oil rings are coked but the compression rings are OK.

I do get a lot of consumption which puzzles me as it should correspond to power loss if the rings were coked.

Coked oil control rings will allow increased oil consumption. Coked compression rings will cause compression loss/power loss/fuel mileage loss.

Cleaning my Volvo engine with A-Rx resulted in reduced oil consumption (1/4 to 1/2 of previous consumption), better mpg, & smoother, peppier running. The turbo needle rises on the boost gauge faster when I mash the gas pedal.

Cut the consumption in my daughter's Taurus from quarts per hour of operation to quarts per months. Didn't notice much else (Vulcan 3.0) ..but what more did I need to see
21.gif

I cannot yet comment on oil consumption as I've just completed my series of ARX tests. Time will tell if oil consumption is down.

What is clear is that my compression is up; WAY UP! Increased compression can only mean better power and economy. Can I quantify it? Not really, as I don't bother with diligent tracking of fuel consumption most of the time. And "power" is not a term synonomous with the Vulcan engine, so that's a moot point.

I have only ARX to attribute the significant and stellar improvements to. No other additives were used. No drastic changes in driving style, fuels used, or anthing else.

It was ARX that liberated my engine of it's ills, and it's ARX that deserves all the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back