Ecotec Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 4-cylinder engine found in a lot of newer GM vehicles, such as the Saturn Ion, Chevy Cobalt, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire.

There are also variants of the block which use saab-designed heads and are turbocharged for use in saab cars. There was a low-pressure, low-inertia turbo that was extremely efficient and put out 175hp/195lb-ft, and then a high pressure turbo which puts out 210hp and quite a bit more torque.

Both are good for much more hp with minimal programming.

The early ones had a lot of timing chain problems. Unfortunately, the Ecotec is also an interference design, so guess what happens? Oops.

I've heard of T-chain tensioner noise issues, never a catastrophic failure. The cartridge style water pump is also driven by the chain and the oil pump is probably burried in there somewhere. They are a snappy little reliable engine that's easy to maintain. MPG is okay, NVH is not the best, but it is a 'low cost' 4cyl.
09_2.2L_I-4_VVT_LAP_COB_LoR_n.jpg

I've gotta say, that's the coolest serpentine belt I've ever seen. Actually I'm not sure it even qualifies as "serpentine"!

So the water pump just pulls out and replaced easily, even though it's driven by the timing chain?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The early ones had a lot of timing chain problems. Unfortunately, the Ecotec is also an interference design, so guess what happens? Oops.

By definition, most modern engines are interference designs. It's whether they are prone to EXPERIENCING interference by way of valvetrain component or drive failure that is the issue.

Originally Posted By: rationull
..So the water pump just pulls out and replaced easily, even though it's driven by the timing chain?

Yep it sure can. The drive gear stays in the block. The only scary part IMO is the seal that separates the engine oil from the engine coolant. I have read of failures there. Not a common thing by any means, but it's still there. Yeah, the serp belt is a shorty to say the least! I really like my 2007 Ecotec. Plenty of power, so-so MPG at 32-33max. What I don't like is the cold start rattle it's always had.

Joel

Last edited:
The Ecotec in my girlfriend's Cobalt seems to be a decent little engine - much better than I expected, considering the cost of the vehicle and my past experience with GM four cylinders. It starts to get thrashy and run out of power around 4500; very much tuned for low-end in that application, with good usable torque from just off idle. It is pretty well-matched to the 5-speed in that car, and has been very low maintenance through 60k miles. Mileage has been quite good, averaging low 30s in mixed use, and capable of a verified 40 in pure highway use.

A guy over a saturnfans.com put 365k miles on his (2004?) Saturn Ion. It had the standard ecotec 4 cylinder engine....it cracked a cylinder head I believe so he junked it....could have been a fluke.

Either way, 365k miles out of an engine is nothing to be disappointed about although engine failure at any mileage is never great. Overall, the ecotecs are proven engines in the reliability department.

Link to thread

Last edited:
I own two of them, both 2003 model years. A saturn ion, and a pontiac sunfire.

They are somewhat picky as to the oil filter you can use in them, they rattle with fram, but not with purolator or OEM.

They rattle a bit when you start them up.

Once they get warmed up, they run so smooth, you can't even tell that the motor is running at idle..

Neither of mine have ever gotten remarkable gas mileage, even though they are totally tuned up.

My saturn with the 5 speed is good for 31mpg in mixed driving, the pontiac is usually good for 28mpg..

I got one in my 2007 ION. Wish it got better fuel economy but I blame that more on the size of engine, gearing, and tuning, than the design. It is probably quite efficient for an engine of its size and power (witness Cobalt XFE).

Never noticed any startup rattle (21K 2years) but I bought 12 OEM filters with the car and have been using them since.

Some more notes from the guy on Saturn Fans that got 365k.

No oil burning to the end.

Dealer dino oil changes at like 7K plus mile intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
They are a snappy little reliable engine that's easy to maintain. MPG is okay, NVH is not the best,

In the saab, the ecotec turbo is nearly silent, very smooth, and has no real NVH to speak of, compared to many 4-cyl engines.

38-40 MPG is very doable with just a little bit of care. 35 MPG is very doable on any highway trip. Not too bad for a midsize car.

The Ecotecs are really some impressive engines. Even with a 2.2L in my 2007 Malibu, it still feels faster than my 3.0L Vulcan V6 powered Taurus did. It achieves really good fuel economy too. I managed a high of 26 mpg in all city driving, but usually get 24. Not bad for a 3200 pound car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: JTK
They are a snappy little reliable engine that's easy to maintain. MPG is okay, NVH is not the best,

In the saab, the ecotec turbo is nearly silent, very smooth, and has no real NVH to speak of, compared to many 4-cyl engines.

38-40 MPG is very doable with just a little bit of care. 35 MPG is very doable on any highway trip. Not too bad for a midsize car.

You're right in regards to my NVH comment. The Ecotec is much smoother than other 4cyls I've owned. I'm sure it related more to the car it's bolted in. The stellar MPG figures I see owners post has always puzzled me. I do 90% straight hywy travel with my 2.2L, auto, base model Cobalt and the best I can do is maybe 33.5mpg tank to tank (warm weather)and that's rare. Sure, short hywy bursts can yield more, but tank to tank averages are typically 29-32mpg. Fillup to fillup avg. is the only figure that matters IMO.

Joel

You should try a new Malibu with the Ecotec and 6 speed auto. It is as smooth as silk.

My 2.4 Solstice Ecotec is not smooth, but it is a blast to drive. I'm at about 19k miles now and it keeps loosening up. It feels like it has more power across the power band and fuel economy keeps improving with time, as well. The best part is that it feels like it is revving more freely as I accelerate hard and go through the gears.

I loved it when it was new, but I'm enjoying it even more as it ages. I did a UOA on it with M1 5w30 on a 7,000 mile run and it came back with excellent results. Blackstone said to try 8 to 9k miles. I haven't done that, though. I change the oil every 6 months, regardless of mileage.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
You should try a new Malibu with the Ecotec and 6 speed auto. It is as smooth as silk.

Agreed. I test drove a '09 Malibu 2LT with the 2.4L Ecotec and GM 6T40 automatic. The engine was very quiet and had an excellent low-end torque. The transmission was very responsive and the shifts were quick and smooth, probably due to the new clutch-to-clutch operation.

I was looking at one of those malibu's on autotrader.

You can get an 06-07 with low mileage for a hare under 10 grand.

I'd call that a good buy for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
You can get an 06-07 with low mileage for a hare under 10 grand.

Wow. You know things are getting bad when people are taking rabbits instead of money. The barter system is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back