Schaeffer 9000 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stated this on my UOA post in that section, but thought it was worth repeating here -

The Schaeffer PDSs show a fairly broad range for 40deg and 100deg viscosities (they don't give a pt estimate like other manufacturers). And their ranges for their 5w30 products are rather low numbers on the bottom side of the ranges.

My UOA confirmed this - the Schaeffer 9000 5w30 had significantly lower viscosity (after 4k miles) than the Pennz. Plat. 5w20 had at 5.4k. No fuel dilution issues.

The Schaeffer 5w30 UOA #s -
SUS Visc. 210degF - 52.1
cST Visc. 100degC - 7.9

The Pennz. Plat. 5w20 #'s -
SUS Visc. 210degF - 54.5
cST Visc. 100degC - 8.61

One of the (several) things that attracted me to using Schaeffers was this low visc. - at that time this van was a short tripper. But coming in below a 5w20. (?)

Note that the Schaeffer 7000 5w30 PDS shows -
40degC Visc - 47 to 52 (is that not edging into 5w20 territory?)

we generally know that 5w-30 oils shear down to 20wt oils before too long. This is one of the arguments for 20 wt oils to begin with.

7000 is a blend, right? PP is a full grp III oil, right?

Viscosity aside (if you need something thick and more stable, you should be looking for an A3 rated oil anyway), what do the wear numbers look like? Schaeffer's has a killer add pack that may be more of a benefit than any base oil behaviors...

JMH

How did this post get here? - thought I posted it in the regular forum. Oh well -

From everything I've heard, seen, read, etc - Schaeffer's has possibly one of the best add packs in the business. I'm not necessarily done with Sch. yet - but I'm now trying to push a 1 yr OCI in my Mazda 6 (our new daily driver) - so I started with M1 0w20. When pushing things out there a bit (long OCI) - the choice of oil becomes a fretful one (but otherwise I'd be bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back