Hurricane Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and Josephine is also out there.
shocked2.gif

This one looks really bad. Went from a Cat. 1 to a Cat 4 within 6 hours? I'd get out of Dodge if I could and make sure my insurance premiums were up to date.

Yep, filled up all the cars today and got 20 gallons for my generator.

Tomorrow I am gonna buy more gas for the generator cause whenever a hurricane hits south FL, it takes Florida Power & Light a week to get the power back up.

Trust me....after hurricane Andrew in 1992, south FL was like the Mad Max movie cause everybody wanted/needed gas.

Well, Tuesday is a long way off but I'll note that NOAA had the track for Gustav pretty much dead on (kudos) so if I was in Miami I'd be worried, yes.

The last satellite image I saw was from this morning and Ike was a tight, beautiful storm. Beautiful but deadly, of course.

Bought another 10 gallons of gas tonight. Heading to the supermarket tomorrow to buy what I need before the rush.

If Ike turns south, great. But if it hits us (Dade/Broward/Palm Beach) counties, we will be in big trouble.

Originally Posted By: hillclimber
The last satellite image I saw was from this morning and Ike was a tight, beautiful storm. Beautiful but deadly, of course.

You know the storm is powerful when the satellite image starts looking like...

2830095389_062def4039_m.jpg

At last check, the projected path of Ike has it headed for (drumroll please) the Lousiana coast. If it stays a Cat3 or lower, I think we'll see a lot fewer people flee New Orleans for this one. Having to evacuate your home 2 times in 2 weeks would really suck.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
At last check, the projected path of Ike has it headed for (drumroll please) the Lousiana coast. If it stays a Cat3 or lower, I think we'll see a lot fewer people flee New Orleans for this one. Having to evacuate your home 2 times in 2 weeks would really suck.

With large sucking sounds, too. I really can't afford to run from this one unless I leave early, as I did for Gustav. Yes, there's lots of room on my credit card, but a big chunk of what I spent in AL was for vet care for my 11-year-old cat, and who knows if she'll travel well this time.

I think in the weeks to come (if Ike doesn't hit New Orleans or nearby, of course), we'll begin to see newspaper columns about the changed mood here. Having to evacuate twice in three years is too much to sustain the grim but light-hearted mood we saw here after Katrina; see the comic messages people painted on their abandoned refrigerators in late '05. I think people are starting to loudly question the wisdom of living on the slope of Mt. Vesuvius after Pompeii gets whacked.

I chatted with several people, all ages, outside the grocery as we waited for it to open today (and at that it had almost no perishables yet). None of them had anything good to say about NO or the way the contraflow was handled; most had good memories of wherever they fled to. Like me in my young adult years, a lot of folks here have had their eyes opened now by the way things run in other cities. We know it doesn't have to be this way: a city doesn't have to sport cracked streets, rare left turn lanes and lights adding to congestion, high crime, a lousy economy, low pay and high rents, public and unabashed corruption, and nasty weather plus occasional whirling storms, to have character.

My new hobby is job-hunting in a serious way. I've already applied for 4 jobs at the U. of Alabama. Wish me luck.

As of about 3PM CDT today the storm after it crossed the Largest of the Southern Bahama Islands took a jog to the NW instead of its previous due West course. That jog should make the folks in the southernmost Florida Keys REAL nervous. Lets all pray for these folks in its path. I have a real bad feeling about Ike. Its been a long time since the US has been hit by a 200 MPH monster.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Originally Posted By: hillclimber

You know the storm is powerful when the satellite image starts looking like...

2830095389_062def4039_m.jpg

Andrew '92, is that you?

Admiral--
I'll provide you with 2 x 8-year-old cats to replace your 1 x 11-year-old cat should the need arise. Tabby mixes, combined weight of 30lbs, not much of it fat :)

The wife and I left Houston on Labor Day Weekend when there was still a chance of Gustav hitting here. We spent the week at Wrightsville Beach, NC. Our trip was cut short by a day or so as Hanna was targeting us there. Now as we are back home in Houston, the current forecast cone has Houston in the center for Hurricane Ike.

I swear we are storm magnets.

We were on a Cruise Ship coming back from RI to NY Saturday night into Sunday morning and got a taste of Hanna. Seas were approaching 30'and better at one point. I can only imagine the force of a Cat 4 or 5 Hurricane.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Scott P

Looks like you need to head to Vegas, or better yet to Atlanta. We need the rain!

Originally Posted By: Scott P
The wife and I left Houston on Labor Day Weekend when there was still a chance of Gustav hitting here. We spent the week at Wrightsville Beach, NC. Our trip was cut short by a day or so as Hanna was targeting us there. Now as we are back home in Houston, the current forecast cone has Houston in the center for Hurricane Ike.

Please stay away from my part of Illinois. We had 4 inches of rain last week (reminants of Gustav).

Go anywhere in the Knoxville, Ashville, or Atlanta areas (or anywhere in between those three). They need you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back