Hurricane Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 miles south of Baton Rouge. Winds at 15 to 25 with gust, heavy rain started an hour ago. Tropical storm warnings for our area tomorrow.

We are still trying to get back into shape from Hurricane Gustav. Some people are still with out power. With the elevated winds I expect more damage to the power transmission and distribution lines. Lots of trees leaning, limbs dangling ain't gonna take much wind to put us back in the stone age again.

Brian- Lowe's opens early. Buy fuel and then buy some more fuel, and then some more.

I have to make an emergency trip to Valdosta Ga this morning when I get off. 535 miles, worrying about refueling the whole time. Bad weather, can't say I am looking forward to it.

Texas-- You guys need to get out of Dodge. The wife and spent a wonderful vacation last month at Moody Gardens on Galveston Is. Man I hope all the friends we made will be alright. This is a huge storm, you guys in Galveston can expect to get hurricane force wind atleast 10 to 12 hours before landfall is predicted, likely to have hurricane winds for nearly 24 hours.

Good lord, major news outlets are reporting that some people won't evacuate Galveston.

Despite the NHC saying this: "All neighborhoods ... and possibly entire coastal communities ... will be inundated during the peak storm tide," the weather service warned. "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one- or two-story homes will face certain death."

We get this Darwin candidate...

"I've decided not to evacuate," said iReporter Matteu Erchull on Galveston Island. "We have a lot of faith in the seawall, and we have boards on the windows. Most people on the island live on second or third stories, so they don't have to worry about the water so much."
06.gif

Last edited:
I take it you live far away from the coast TooManyWheels?

Even if I lived in a skyscraper at the top floor on Galveston island (hypothetically...), I'd still have gotten the heck out of there 2 days ago!

Drew - I'm on the West side of Houston, not sure how many miles inland, but not endangered like Galveston. By road we are a good 90 miles away. We are quite likely to suffer property damage, but obliteration is not likely.

They are telling us in Houston NOT to evacuate, which anyone who sat marooned on the highway in the Katrina cluster-mess is happy to comply with.

The people in Galveston are a special breed though. Like the people in Floriday, who have seen it all, or at least so they think.

I'm just taking a break from boarding up, so you all might not hear from me for a while. See you on "the other side"....
wink.gif

Good luck!
11.gif

Just found a web snapshot from a webcam on Galveston island near the beach. Wanna take bets if these houses aren't there by this time tomorrow evening???!!!

ike-insecure.png

You gotta be out of your mind to stay in a dwelling like that with a projected 20 foot storm surge.
33.gif

Last edited:
Any crazy surfers heading out to Galveston? I think they'd call a 15-25 foot surge "epic".

CNN just said 1 million barrels of gasoline will be "offline" due to Ike. And possibly up to 5 million gallons, which is 1/3 of all gasoline refined in US.

Hope you guys stay safe.

I like it when they tell those who are dumb enough to stay, that they need to make sure that there's an axe in the attic.

Gas is up about 20 cents per gallon here. Filled up my little Saturn last night, it was busy at the gas station. Filled up my wife's Vue this morning, gas station was just as busy, but the price went up 10 cents from last night!!

they need to pass a law saying gas prices can't be hiked up until a disaster happens not anticipating one

I tried to buy gas for my mower today. Two places were SOLD OUT. THIS IS ALABAMA, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

Finally went to the higher priced Chevron station off the main road, where there was plenty of gas and no line. The clerk said "We just got a load of gas this morning, and we've got another truck waiting. No shortage here". Sheeple Panic.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
http://www.stormpulse.com/ Interesting weather site.

Thanks, pretty cool.
cheers3.gif

Found a generator at an Ace Hardware in the little town where I work. $792 later.....I guess I feel a bit more prepared. All Shreveport was out of generators. I was lucky as Ace had a truck coming in with them today. I reserved one and by the time I came to pick it up, there was only one left unspoken for.

One of the local grocery chain's gas stations are out of gas. Another gas chain is out of regular, but the silver lining is they are selling Plus for the same price! I-20 eastbound out of Texas looks like a parking lot with the evacuees mixed in with rush hour traffic. Plus a nice rain band caused several wrecks. Craziness....

The price of gas in Toronto has spiked up by over 50 cents a gallon since Thursday morning! If that isn't pure gouging, I don't know what is!
mad.gif

Two gas stations here in North AL were selling regular for $5.35 as of Friday afternoon. The owner was interviewed by the local news station. he said he purchased two tankloads of fuel Friday morning, and had to pay the oil company $5.32/gallon.

The wholesalers should be prosecuted for this garbage, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back